Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,065

1 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Temp of snake?

Thanks

Re: Temp of snake?

I've had my BP for almost two weeks now (and she's AMAZING lol) but the first thing I did was buy a temp gun and ran into the same issue, no one really has any info on what the ideal BP body temp should be...

so I did an experiment. I've been recording her temps every few days (she's very content so I see no need to bother her to check her temp every day) that being said, my cool side is 73-75, hot spot is 89-92 and ambient around 80. what I've noticed is that her average is 78-80 when she's content. when she does make her way to her hot spot (set at 92, I played around with this temp and this is what she prefers) she will regulate to 86-87, I've never seen her body temp above 89(after she eats she does like to be a little warmer) one cool thing I've noticed on my thermostat is the temp is set at 92 and when she goes in there I will watch the temp on the thermostat drop pretty quickly as she absorbs the heat! I'm a dork, I thought it was cool to share hahaha.

BUT one thing I have noticed in the very short time I've been a snake owner is people aren't kidding when they say every snake is different.... from feeding habits, to personality, to personal prefference such as temp regulation/humidity. just monitor your baby and keep a little record book, as long as he is happy and not showing signs of stress or discomfort, you know you're doing good! within a week or two of doing this you should have enough data to calculate an average and have an idea of what your snake regulates at

ALSO, not sure if most people do this but just something I've observed with my girl. she has two water dishes, one on hot side (about 80) and one on cold side (75) and she does pick and choose between the two. not sure if this is associated with the temps of the water, or she's just spoiled because she's my only one lol

Hope that helped!!!
    Last edited by jcorsaletti; 01-12-2018 at 01:15 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jcorsaletti For This Useful Post:

Neilp (01-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I also have experienced that a little cooler than the recommended can work. I'm even a little lower on the cool side than others here, not by choice but just what my temps come to with my particular situation. My cool side is only 74-75 in the winter months and 75-76 in the summer. It's almost like a cooling system for the breeding season even though I know cooling is now believed unnecessary, it just works out that way. My setup is homemade racks with 11" heat tape that runs across a little less than the back half of the tub. It is set at 90 which creates a hot spot of 86-88 in the tub. Because the hot spot is controlled by a thermostat, it does not fluctuate from winter to summer like the cool side. So they can regulate their temp between 74-88 degrees. I would of made adjustments to get temps up if I saw any issues but to my surprise they are actually all doing very well. They all eat well and breed incredibly well. After the first initial month of introducing males, I've had 100% lock success within 24 hours of introduction. This is not just with 2 ball pythons, it is with 15 females and 6 males being paired monthly, some of both being their first season. So in my opinion, if there are no signs of stress and the animals are all eating and breeding incredibly well, then these lower temps are not affecting them negatively in any way. Time will be the true test but this is not a super new setup either, I have been using this setup for two years now.

Just remember, you may not need to worry about getting temps exact to what the 'books' say, but it is very important to give your ball python a very consistent range so that it can regulate its body temp. If the whole cage is 80, that is not good. You need the cool side and the warm side so that your ball python can choose which side to be on and be able to regulate it's own temp as needed. The exact temp on each side is not near as important as the range.
    Hi thanks. I do have a gradient from 90-92 hot end to about 70 cool end sometimes slightly less depending on the weather but have recently changed from a viv system to a rack so i think was just panicking about changes. Im glad i did this post because i have had some good feedback about not stressing so much about temps, obviously they are important but again if you have sensible gradient thats more important.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zach_este93 View Post
    I temp gun my snake quite often. I live in Northern Canada and it has been very cold lately. So when I take my snake out for a visit, I monitor her temp and put her back if she gets too cold. Usually she reads in at 82-83F when I get her out and, at least in my house and with her resting on my body-heat, she drops by approximately .5F in about a half hour. If she drops to 79-80F, or if she just feels cool to the touch, I put her back to warm up. The warmest I have ever seen her body at is 88F while in her warm hide.
    Brilliant, i live in the lake district UK, always cold and damp so have worried about constant low ambient temps. So i think stop worrying about hot spot and concentrate on the gradient?
    Cheers everyone for comments.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neilp View Post
    Hi thanks. I do have a gradient from 90-92 hot end to about 70 cool end sometimes slightly less depending on the weather but have recently changed from a viv system to a rack so i think was just panicking about changes. Im glad i did this post because i have had some good feedback about not stressing so much about temps, obviously they are important but again if you have sensible gradient thats more important.
    You have to be careful anything below 75 is unhealthy and could lead to issues.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-13-2018),Sonny1318 (01-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    I also have experienced that a little cooler than the recommended can work. I'm even a little lower on the cool side than others here, not by choice but just what my temps come to with my particular situation. My cool side is only 74-75 in the winter months and 75-76 in the summer. It's almost like a cooling system for the breeding season even though I know cooling is now believed unnecessary, it just works out that way. My setup is homemade racks with 11" heat tape that runs across a little less than the back half of the tub. It is set at 90 which creates a hot spot of 86-88 in the tub. Because the hot spot is controlled by a thermostat, it does not fluctuate from winter to summer like the cool side. So they can regulate their temp between 74-88 degrees. I would of made adjustments to get temps up if I saw any issues but to my surprise they are actually all doing very well. They all eat well and breed incredibly well. After the first initial month of introducing males, I've had 100% lock success within 24 hours of introduction. This is not just with 2 ball pythons, it is with 15 females and 6 males being paired monthly, some of both being their first season. So in my opinion, if there are no signs of stress and the animals are all eating and breeding incredibly well, then these lower temps are not affecting them negatively in any way. Time will be the true test but this is not a super new setup either, I have been using this setup for two years now.

Just remember, you may not need to worry about getting temps exact to what the 'books' say, but it is very important to give your ball python a very consistent range so that it can regulate its body temp. If the whole cage is 80, that is not good. You need the cool side and the warm side so that your ball python can choose which side to be on and be able to regulate it's own temp as needed. The exact temp on each side is not near as important as the range.
    That's great and very helpfull to my sanity, i have been consumed with the hot spot and not the general gradient and because other members have confirmed the issue i am very glad i posted what could have been a stupid question to some people, so again thank you and to everyone else for response.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neilp For This Useful Post:

rufretic (01-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcorsaletti View Post
    I've had my BP for almost two weeks now (and she's AMAZING lol) but the first thing I did was buy a temp gun and ran into the same issue, no one really has any info on what the ideal BP body temp should be...

so I did an experiment. I've been recording her temps every few days (she's very content so I see no need to bother her to check her temp every day) that being said, my cool side is 73-75, hot spot is 89-92 and ambient around 80. what I've noticed is that her average is 78-80 when she's content. when she does make her way to her hot spot (set at 92, I played around with this temp and this is what she prefers) she will regulate to 86-87, I've never seen her body temp above 89(after she eats she does like to be a little warmer) one cool thing I've noticed on my thermostat is the temp is set at 92 and when she goes in there I will watch the temp on the thermostat drop pretty quickly as she absorbs the heat! I'm a dork, I thought it was cool to share hahaha.

BUT one thing I have noticed in the very short time I've been a snake owner is people aren't kidding when they say every snake is different.... from feeding habits, to personality, to personal prefference such as temp regulation/humidity. just monitor your baby and keep a little record book, as long as he is happy and not showing signs of stress or discomfort, you know you're doing good! within a week or two of doing this you should have enough data to calculate an average and have an idea of what your snake regulates at

ALSO, not sure if most people do this but just something I've observed with my girl. she has two water dishes, one on hot side (about 80) and one on cold side (75) and she does pick and choose between the two. not sure if this is associated with the temps of the water, or she's just spoiled because she's my only one lol

Hope that helped!!!
    Thanks mate, thats a good idea about two water bolls, i think i will put another one in just to give her another choice. By the sounds of it choice is more important than we think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neilp View Post
    Thanks mate, thats a good idea about two water bolls, i think i will put another one in just to give her another choice. By the sounds of it choice is more important than we think.
    No problem! best of luck to you!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123