Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

0 members and 2,953 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

A Problem with the Humidity

So I'm setting up an enclosure for a Colombian Red Tail Boa I'm getting in a couple weeks and I've almost got it perfect. I have it well-decorated with fake plants, some hides, rocks and branches, and it would be ready if it weren't for the fact that I can't get the humidity to stay above 50%. The enclosure has a really big water bowl and I'm using Zoo Med Eco Earth for the substrate. Is there another kind of substrate that is better at keeping high humidity? I'm considering possibly adding some live plants to the terrarium. Are there any easy to take care of plants that would be good for raising the humidity?

Note: this is a melamine enclosure that I made, so it doesn't have a screen top where the humidity could escape easily.

Thanks for any helpful advice you have to offer!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I think due to the ridiculous cold that has hit much of the country, I see you're in NC and I believe it's been cold there too, a lot of us are having a little more difficulty with humidity than usual. I've added some sphangnum moss to my enclosures. It helps, but I'm still needing to mist the the pythons at least daily and the colubrids almost daily.

We might hit 50 here in MA today, nice break from the weeks of single digit and sub zero weather!!

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: A Problem with the Humidity

I use a mix of eco earth and orchid bark for all my boas ,I found just using eco earth dried a bit to much with the ceramic when it kicks in more with the cold weather outside

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks

You could always try some sphagnum moss

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    how are you measuring the humidity?

a trick i use is to get a hand towel nice and damp and lay it over one of the hides.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    How are you heating it? If you are using a bulb, that will be your biggest problem. Also i'm guessing you are getting the Eco Earth nice and damp but not like mud.

Honestly you shouldnt really have a problem unless you have too much air flow. I use AP cages with aspen for my snakes and i mist once maybe twice a week and it stays 60-70%.

You can put in live plants. I have them in my GTP cage. There are lots of stuff you can use like Pothos, different palms, Prayer Plant, lots of ferns. Just stay away from Ivys as most are toxic. The only problem is a boa will most likely crush or tip over any living plants. My boas and retic and BP destroyed plastic plants so they all live in plain set ups now lol. The GTP is much more stealthy plus he is just a little tiny baby.

Maybe put up a pic of the set up and we can try and point out some stuff to fix it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-11-2018)

Thanks

If I mist the enclosure twice a day, I can maintain a good humidity, although I am hoping to find a solution to where I don't have to mist so often.

I have heard about using orchid bark along with Eco Earth, I'll make sure to give that a try.

I use the AcuRite electronic thermometer/hygrometers, one at each end of the enclosure.

To heat the enclosure, I use a UTH and a ceramic heat emitter. And yes, I make sure not to make a swamp out of the substrate lol. If I can't get it to stay at a good humidity, I'll probably try some of those plants and hope they don't get crushed haha.

Here's the enclosure:
    https://imgur.com/a/Ul2S8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SomeTallGuy View Post
    If I mist the enclosure twice a day, I can maintain a good humidity, although I am hoping to find a solution to where I don't have to mist so often.

I have heard about using orchid bark along with Eco Earth, I'll make sure to give that a try.

I use the AcuRite electronic thermometer/hygrometers, one at each end of the enclosure.

To heat the enclosure, I use a UTH and a ceramic heat emitter. And yes, I make sure not to make a swamp out of the substrate lol. If I can't get it to stay at a good humidity, I'll probably try some of those plants and hope they don't get crushed haha.

Here's the enclosure:
    https://imgur.com/a/Ul2S8
    before i recommend something, what kind of liner are you using? can it withstand semi-standing water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I you already have a big water dish on the hot side then your best bet is to limit ventillatio until it holds the humidity you want. I would recommend only having ventillation on the cold side. I use melamine enclosures with sliding glass doors. They are 48" long by 24" deep by 12 tall heated with rhp's. Each enclosure has 1 - 2" ventillation insert on the cold side. I use shredded aspen for bedding and a ceramic dog bowl for water on the hot side. With ambient humidity here in Arizona in the mid 30's at best I am able to maintain 55-60% without any misting. When I see snakes going blue I will give a light mist with warm water and it will hold in the mid 70's for a few days.
    I have been doing this successfully for over 2 years now and get perfect sheds every time with our bp's, womas and blackheads.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    I you already have a big water dish on the hot side then your best bet is to limit ventillatio until it holds the humidity you want. I would recommend only having ventillation on the cold side. I use melamine enclosures with sliding glass doors. They are 48" long by 24" deep by 12 tall heated with rhp's. Each enclosure has 1 - 2" ventillation insert on the cold side. I use shredded aspen for bedding and a ceramic dog bowl for water on the hot side. With ambient humidity here in Arizona in the mid 30's at best I am able to maintain 55-60% without any misting. When I see snakes going blue I will give a light mist with warm water and it will hold in the mid 70's for a few days.
    I have been doing this successfully for over 2 years now and get perfect sheds every time with our bp's, womas and blackheads.
    I agree... I use Postal Tape on the outside of my AP Enclosure to cover 1/2 the vents. Im always 58-62%. When its shed time I mist the walls every other day and that brings it to 70/75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast