Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 611

0 members and 611 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Info For Possible Future Blue Tongue Skink

Hi all. So I’ve been doing on and off research on Blue Tongue Skinks for about a year now. Some time down the road (1-2 Years) I know I’m going to take the plunge. However, I recently saw on faunaclassifieds an ad that had what was listed as a halmahera black and silver Blue Tongue. I’ve always been obsessed with the axanthic gene in reptiles (not exactly sure if that’s what this is) and this animals contrast absolutely blew me away. So my questions are as follows:

1) I’ve read that a lot of these animals are wild caught. Are there any reputable breeders that are working with this line that are captive bred?
    2) the locales Get a little confusing for me but should I assume that this locale has a similar temperament to Northern Blue tongues? (I know every animal is different so I’m speaking generally)
    3) I am assuming that the price for these animals will be very high (the animals I saw were 1200) what is the range of cost that these animals usually go for? (I know the market can change year to year so generally speaking again)
    4) I’ve read a T-8 is a good permanent home for these guys but should they be given more height?

Thanks in advance for any Ant and all responses! I’m not looking to purchase anything for at least a year so I’m just trying to get ahead of the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    BHB has an active breeding program. I know people hate them but they do captive bred skinks.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

cron14 (01-09-2018)

Thanks

Re: Info For Possible Future Blue Tongue Skink

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    Hi all. So I’ve been doing on and off research on Blue Tongue Skinks for about a year now. Some time down the road (1-2 Years) I know I’m going to take the plunge. However, I recently saw on faunaclassifieds an ad that had what was listed as a halmahera black and silver Blue Tongue. I’ve always been obsessed with the axanthic gene in reptiles (not exactly sure if that’s what this is) and this animals contrast absolutely blew me away. So my questions are as follows:

1) I’ve read that a lot of these animals are wild caught. Are there any reputable breeders that are working with this line that are captive bred?
    2) the locales Get a little confusing for me but should I assume that this locale has a similar temperament to Northern Blue tongues? (I know every animal is different so I’m speaking generally)
    3) I am assuming that the price for these animals will be very high (the animals I saw were 1200) what is the range of cost that these animals usually go for? (I know the market can change year to year so generally speaking again)
    4) I’ve read a T-8 is a good permanent home for these guys but should they be given more height?

Thanks in advance for any Ant and all responses! I’m not looking to purchase anything for at least a year so I’m just trying to get ahead of the game.
    1) Most halmaheras are wild caught as they are apparently difficult to breed. There are some CBB, but I don't know the breeders.
    2) Not sure about temperament, but humidity requirements are very different. Northerns are very commonly captive bred and require about 40-50% humidity where Halmaheras require around 80%.
    3) Not sure about a CBB. Due to their difficultly in breeding, I doubt there are many axanthic CBB. I don't believe the WC are super expensive, but then of course you have to deal with vet bills due to the possibility of parasites. I'm sure a WC axanthic would fetch more, but not sure how much. I thought I've seen some on Ben Siegel's auction, but I can't recall how much they went for.
    4) I currently have my Northern in a T8, but I am looking into getting a taller cage. I also prefer my lighting mounted inside the enclosure rather than have a cutout. I'd think a T8 would be fine if you have a hole cut in the top, but most people recommend the T10 with the hole cut and a T11 or T12 if mounting inside.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

cron14 (01-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    BHB has an active breeding program. I know people hate them but they do captive bred skinks.
    Yea I’m definitely not one of the people that hates him I just haven’t seen him working with the colors I’m looking for. If I end up getting a normal, I’d probably get it from him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    1) Most halmaheras are wild caught as they are apparently difficult to breed. There are some CBB, but I don't know the breeders.
    2) Not sure about temperament, but humidity requirements are very different. Northerns are very commonly captive bred and require about 40-50% humidity where Halmaheras require around 80%.
    3) Not sure about a CBB. Due to their difficultly in breeding, I doubt there are many axanthic CBB. I don't believe the WC are super expensive, but then of course you have to deal with vet bills due to the possibility of parasites. I'm sure a WC axanthic would fetch more, but not sure how much. I thought I've seen some on Ben Siegel's auction, but I can't recall how much they went for.
    4) I currently have my Northern in a T8, but I am looking into getting a taller cage. I also prefer my lighting mounted inside the enclosure rather than have a cutout. I'd think a T8 would be fine if you have a hole cut in the top, but most people recommend the T10 with the hole cut and a T11 or T12 if mounting inside.
    Thanks for all the info. I’m not sure about Ben Siegel but I remember reading that some auctions were selling WC as CBB. As someone who has very limited knowledge of the skink industry, one of the most common themes I’ve seen is that people sell WC as CBB which is a bit disconcerting which is why I’d be looking for a reputable breeder. If I got a T-8 I would get it with a hole cut out I just wasn’t sure if skinks need some height to climb around. Do you know if the axanthic normal or Indonesian ones are legit or does it apply to all of them?

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I’m not sure about Ben Siegel but I remember reading that some auctions were selling WC as CBB. As someone who has very limited knowledge of the skink industry, one of the most common themes I’ve seen is that people sell WC as CBB which is a bit disconcerting which is why I’d be looking for a reputable breeder. If I got a T-8 I would get it with a hole cut out I just wasn’t sure if skinks need some height to climb around. Do you know if the axanthic normal or Indonesian ones are legit or does it apply to all of them?
    BTS don't climb very well so they don't need a lot of height. I'm not sure if I understand your axanthic question, but there are no morphs of Northern BTS in the US. Australia has some awesome morphs, but there is an export ban. I'm not familiar will all the morphs of the non-Australian species that are in the US.

Thanks

Oh I see. So the sunset/sunrise, Carmel, albino etc. stuff is from Indonesia? Thanks for all the info I appreciate it.

Thanks

Oh I see. So the sunset/sunrise, Carmel, albino etc. stuff is from Indonesia? Thanks for all the info I appreciate it.
    Well sunset/sunrise are names given for a type of line bred Northerns, but it's not a morph. I can't recall whether Caramel is also a line of Northerns or if it's a morph. As far as albino, I don't think there are any albino Northerns in the US. There are some awesome looking Northerns, unfortunately they're mostly all in Australia.

Thanks

Here's a pic of my Northern. One parent was Sunrise, the other was normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

cron14 (01-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    Well sunset/sunrise are names given for a type of line bred Northerns, but it's not a morph. I can't recall whether Caramel is also a line of Northerns or if it's a morph. As far as albino, I don't think there are any albino Northerns in the US. There are some awesome looking Northerns, unfortunately they're mostly all in Australia.
    All the info you have given me has been great! Thanks and that’s a great looking skink!👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast