Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,171

2 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Genetic combos that make deformities or non-fertile BP's

Hey everyone, so i am starting to think about what three snakes i want to get for my first time breeding season in a few years (after they raise up). I am having a really hard time deciding what i should get. Some of my favorite morphs are bananas, pinstripes, pied, enchi, mystic potion, mojave, and pewters. I am just wondering if there are any combos that you should not try? Are there any combos that will produce snakes with deformities or non-fertile? Theres just so much information out there it's kinda confusing. Any help would be great!

Thanks!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

cchardwick (01-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-09-2018),dr del (01-09-2018),dylan815 (01-09-2018),tttaylorrr (01-09-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Genetic combos that make deformities or non-fertile BP's

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    Thanks for sharing that link. I've seen some of OWAL's threads on this topic and if I knew how to share links I would have shared one of those, hahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I remember watching videos of when the Desert gene first came out. Big breeders wanted to put the Desert gene into a whole bunch of combos because it was so awesome. Turns out that they had problems with fertility of the females, apparently they have problems getting egg bound or laying all slugs. A few people still work with the morph but not many, in fact if you look for Desert combos on Morphmarket as of right now there are only 11 for sale. I think it would be a neat project to get into, especially since it's not very popular. You could do some really neat stuff with combining it with some of the more recent morphs like a Scaleless Desert or Desert Pied, not sure anyone is even thinking about those combos and for sure they would be the worlds first. Maybe you could even find the trick to getting females to produce.

Caramel Albino is also a neat gene to work with, but apparently it has kinking issues. I've seen all kinds of snakes kinked up, and some breeders with Caramel Albino don't have any issues. Could be a certain line of the morph that has issues. I actually have a few females that are het for Caramel Albino, thinking of working it into some neat stuff like a Caramel Pied or Caramel Scaleless Pied, I bet no one is going after that one either.

I think some morphs with issues would be a neat side project to work on, you could really fine tune the issues and perhaps find a work around to bring those morphs back into popularity.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Genetic combos that make deformities or non-fertile BP's

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I think some morphs with issues would be a neat side project to work on, you could really fine tune the issues and perhaps find a work around to bring those morphs back into popularity.
    Caramel, sure, as long as you (you as in - whoever is working with it) is prepared to deal with the possible issues of kinks and female lower fertility which might occur.

Desert* however, no, please don't encourage people to work with that gene. They make beautiful snakes but the females should not be bred. Here's a thread with more info, great link in the first post: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Justin-Kobylka

*speaking of the Desert gene, not the Desert Ghost since they are not related. I really wish they had used a different name for DG
    For the Horde!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

BPGator (01-09-2018),dr del (01-09-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually I saw a few YouTube videos of a breeder showcasing his Desert combos, it was some really interesting stuff, amazing colors and patterns that I've never seen before. You could sell the males as breeders and the females as pet only snakes. Sure they will bring a much lower price because of the fertility issues but it still makes for some great combos. I'm always interested in genes that the mainstream breeders are not working with, everyone has pieds and clowns. How about something new that's not going to cost you a car or a house LOL. And the names are very confusing, there is a Desert gene and a Ghost gene, totally different than the Desert Ghost gene. If you do work with Desert just don't ever breed the females or sell them as breeders. (Both BHB and Bob Clark work with the Desert gene).
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.