Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,652

0 members and 2,652 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

MarkJeyFry (29)

» Stats

Members: 75,060
Threads: 248,514
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Jaseon
    Thanks

Anyone Keep Scrub Pythons?

They hadn't really come to my attention until earlier today. I don't know much about them but I've heard they are rather bitey and more arboreal than their Carpet relatives, second only to GTPs. DM Exotics has imported some so I'll shoot him an email, any other importers or breeders I should know about? I'd love to learn more about these snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    A 16 foot python with the fang structure and fast response time like a GTP? I fear these snakes!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (01-08-2018)

Thanks

Re: Anyone Keep Scrub Pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    A 16 foot python with the fang structure and fast response time like a GTP? I fear these snakes!
    I was thinking more of a Tanimbar scrub as those are smaller, but 6ish feet of bitey snake won't be fun.

Thanks
    I worked with a rather large pair of bar necks about 20 years ago. Pictures do not do them justice. Their scales look like velvet with the iridescence of a brb. The pair I had were not defensive and I only got bitten one time. It was not a fast strike either. He was resting on my arm and shoulder. He casually moved toward my other arm like he was going to climb on it then opened his mouth slowly and clamped down on my forearm then released it just as quickly and went back to his normal self. I had little tissue damage, just pin holes but I did end up with some nerve damage below the bite in my wrist and hand that took quite a while to heal.
    All in all they were impressive and beautiful snakes. I ended up getting out of the hobby toward the end of college and donating them to a local zoo that was going to use them in one of their daily programs but I heard they were stolen. I am fairly sure mine were WC so I would assume if you could get a youngster WC or a cb neo you should have no issue making them manageable however I would always treat that particular species with respect.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (01-08-2018),Team Slytherin (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    6 Feet I can handle. GTPs get close to that as females. 16 feet is the stuff of nightmares
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    My husband and I maintained a rather large collection (40+) of scrubs for a few years, but downsized to focus on other species. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the person who acquired the majority of our collection. Shoot me a pm.

Just a heads up...there is very little margin for error with scrub pythons. They are big, intelligent, fast and reactive. If you can find a mentor prior to taking the plunge, it would behoove you to do so.
    Last edited by Kara; 01-08-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kara For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-08-2018),GoingPostal (01-09-2018),MD_Pythons (01-08-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-08-2018),Team Slytherin (01-08-2018)

Thanks

I picked up a young Tanimbar scrub in August and he is the best purchase of my adult life. If you can find one, nautas are a good introduction to the simalia complex because they typically tap out at 7ft. (although, I know two keepers whose captive nautas have hit 9ft) Definitely not a snake for the faint-hearted, but they are very rewarding.

Yes, they have a reputation for being bitey, but I'm sure that is largely due to the fact that most specimens in collections over the past 10 years have been wild-caught. They are highly intelligent, highly alert, very fast, and have extremely long teeth (typical of bird-eating arboreal species). That being said, I think it would be helpful to acquire a young specimen, so that you can learn to cultivate a respectful relationship and learn their behavior well. They are HIGHLY intelligent snakes and they can be moody. Best to learn to recognize their personal tells when they are young to avoid ending up on the wrong side of those teeth

Maybe I just lucked out with mine, but I know spazhine has a beautiful Merauke that is quite docile as well. I believe she acquired it from Dan. For the most part, my nauta is a total cuddle monster! But he definitely commands respect. He's not one of those snakes you can manhandle. If he doesn't want to do something, that thing will not happen! He is also very viv defensive, which is typical for the species. It is generally unwise to reach a hand inside the enclosure, unless you're sneak-attacking him while he's asleep!

Anyway, I think if you're up for the challenge, do some research and take the plunge! They really are an unbelievable species to work with. Satin skin made of rainbows, dragon-like eyes, and intelligence to boot. And that feeding response?! It trumps everything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (01-08-2018)

Thanks

That's exactly how my first bite was! Luckily, it wasn't from a large barneck! Ouch.