Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

0 members and 2,883 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

cchardwick breeding thread

Here's an update from my breeding season. I have 23 females I'm pairing up, I just did an ultrasound today, this is the resulting follicle size sorted from smallest to biggest:

0.0 9.4 10.8 10.8 11.1 11.8 11.9 13.7 14.4 14.5
    14.9 15.9 16.1 17.4 18.2 18.8 23.5 25.6 27.9 30.7
    30.8 31.8 32.4

Looks like my snakes are all over the place LOL. You would never know by just looking at them. I should be getting close to ovulation with the biggest follicles, I'm pretty sure that happens around 45 mm, I'm guessing it's 5 to 6 weeks away. The 'zero' size is a pied female that I paired up a couple months ago. She was on a fast before breeding and has not eaten since the season started. The funny thing is that I've seen her lock up multiple times. I guess no food in means no follicles LOL. Two out of three over 30 mm have gone off of food for the last few weeks. All others are eating aggressively. My retic female is at 23.5 mm, all the rest are ball pythons.

Here are a few shots of the follicles from my ultrasound machine. The white dotted line 'X' is my measurement in two directions across the follicles (immature eggs). I was only bit twice ultrasounding my snakes, once in the chest and once in the hand, but I didn't lose any blood LOL.

I also found that my incubator temp is not stable in my snake room with an ambient temp of 81, apparently I needed to put it in a cooler room. Looks like the space heater kicking on and off was making it get too hot once in awhile. I'm looking forward to filling it up with eggs!

Hope you enjoyed the update!

This one is from my reticulated python female, notice the follicles look a little different, I'm guessing because it has to go through a thicker snake (more tissue in the way makes it look a bit fuzzy).

Last edited by cchardwick; 01-08-2018 at 08:53 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-08-2018),rlditmars (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    That's awesome man. So exciting having that many I'm sure. I have 15 pairs and I thought that was a lot, your going to have a lot of hatchlings! I wish I had an ultrasound machine like you, that would certainly help with the anxiety knowing where they are at. Mine are all over the place too but I have no idea how far along any of them actually are other than judging by size. Even my farthest along have not stopped eating yet though and I have not witnessed any ovulations yet either so I'm guessing I still have some time. Well thanks for the update, it's very cool to see how other breeders seasons are coming along.

Thanks

Re: 2018 Breeding Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Here's an update from my breeding season. I have 23 females I'm pairing up, I just did an ultrasound today, this is the resulting follicle size sorted from smallest to biggest:

0.0 9.4 10.8 10.8 11.1 11.8 11.9 13.7 14.4 14.5
    14.9 15.9 16.1 17.4 18.2 18.8 23.5 25.6 27.9 30.7
    30.8 31.8 32.4

Looks like my snakes are all over the place LOL. You would never know by just looking at them. I should be getting close to ovulation with the biggest follicles, I'm pretty sure that happens around 45 mm, I'm guessing it's 5 to 6 weeks away. The 'zero' size is a pied female that I paired up a couple months ago. She was on a fast before breeding and has not eaten since the season started. The funny thing is that I've seen her lock up multiple times. I guess no food in means no follicles LOL. Two out of three over 30 mm have gone off of food for the last few weeks. All others are eating aggressively. My retic female is at 23.5 mm, all the rest are ball pythons.

Here are a few shots of the follicles from my ultrasound machine. The white dotted line 'X' is my measurement in two directions across the follicles (immature eggs). I was only bit twice ultrasounding my snakes, once in the chest and once in the hand, but I didn't lose any blood LOL.

I also found that my incubator temp is not stable in my snake room with an ambient temp of 81, apparently I needed to put it in a cooler room. Looks like the space heater kicking on and off was making it get too hot once in awhile. I'm looking forward to filling it up with eggs!

Hope you enjoyed the update!

This one is from my reticulated python female, notice the follicles look a little different, I'm guessing because it has to go through a thicker snake (more tissue in the way makes it look a bit fuzzy).

How much does an ultrasound machine run you?
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    My ultrasound machine was a little over $1,000. I bought it on ebay. This is the one I got except I upgraded to a linear probe instead of a convex probe. You need the linear probe for snake work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-FedEx-P...IAAOSwmmxW3ptQ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

DaDe_Reptiles (01-16-2018)