Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,457

3 members and 3,454 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Having a ton of aquariums through seahorse breeding, rat breeding, and snakes... I'll say it outright.

Don't get the aquarium. You'll curse every time you have to clean it, every time you have to move it, when you accidentally crack it and have to decide whether it's a "replace the whole thing" or "make do" crack.... which will invariably be a "replace it" in the end. You'll struggle to keep humidity, you'll have to black out three sides anyway, and overall, they're just a hassle.

The most money usually goes to the thermostat to control the temps of your heat source. PVC or tubs both work great and tubs cut your cost and you can always upgrade later to a pricier cage if you want to.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-10-2018),zina10 (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    I'm sure it's been said, but I wanted to weigh in for the pro-side of PVC and other non-glass alternatives.

Glass tanks:

• Don't hold in heat well at all, even if you insulate 3 sides with black foam core board and foil the screen lid
    • Requires more heating via CHE which = more drying out of the inside
    • Because of the drying, humidity is a battle, especially if your room ambient humity is low
    • The glass itself is cold if your room ambient temp is below 75 degrees
    • They're heavy as all get out...
    • They're often not wide enough for an adult BP, which needs 16" min for the narrow side.

PVC, Sealed Wood, or Tubs
    • Holds heat and humidity in beautifully even if they have a glass front (if there aren't too big of ventilation cut outs)
      • Freestanding tubs need higher ambient room temp (75+) or a CHE on a stand above the lid, but even with a CHE, humidity is better than glass.

• Because of this, you can use much less substrate or even paper sheets or paper towels, making cleaning a breeze
    • Tubs are super cheap and DIY sealed wood is generally affordable. Racks are pricey, but can hold a lot of animals and maintenance is stupidly easy
    • Much lighter to move and IMO, PVC enclosures are much prettier and more professional looking.
    • Easier to install things inside since you can screw into the sides

I have PVC enclosures from Animal Plastics and BRACE Exotics. Also a slant front from NPI and two DIY custom wood enclosures. I have a few freestanding tubs for quarantine and transport. I have a glass tank for my turtles...
    Breeder and keeper of Ball Pythons, Dwarf & SD Retics, Burms, Carpets, Borneos, Bloods, GTP, and some colubrids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reposado For This Useful Post:

Regius_049 (01-10-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'll weigh in by saying this:

This will be my last winter keeping anything other than my Kingsnake and my hognose in glass. And even they may end up moving.
    It simply has become a pain in the rear end. Granted, the cold has been ridiculous this year and this year is the worst I can remember for heat/humidity. But, as my collection grows and I get older I just want to make things easier on myself, and in turn, better for my snakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Benefits of snake enclosures vs aquariums

Quote Originally Posted by Reposado View Post
    I'm sure it's been said, but I wanted to weigh in for the pro-side of PVC and other non-glass alternatives.

Glass tanks:

• Don't hold in heat well at all, even if you insulate 3 sides with black foam core board and foil the screen lid
    • Because of the drying, humidity is a battle, especially if your room ambient humity is low
    • They're often not wide enough for an adult BP, which needs 16" min for the narrow side.

• Holds heat and humidity in beautifully even if they have a glass front (if there aren't too big of ventilation cut outs)
      • Freestanding tubs need higher ambient room temp (75+) or a CHE on a stand above the lid, but even with a CHE, humidity is better than glass.

• Because of this, you can use much less substrate or even paper sheets or paper towels, making cleaning a breeze
    • Tubs are super cheap and DIY sealed wood is generally affordable. Racks are pricey, but can hold a lot of animals and maintenance is stupidly easy
    • Much lighter to move and IMO, PVC enclosures are much prettier and more professional looking.

I have PVC enclosures from Animal Plastics and BRACE Exotics. Also a slant front from NPI and two DIY custom wood enclosures. I have a few freestanding tubs for quarantine and transport. I have a glass tank for my turtles...
    only thing i have to say, i have two custom wood enclosures aswell, and boy oh boy they are HEAVY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    only thing i have to say, i have two custom wood enclosures aswell, and boy oh boy they are HEAVY

Ha, very true. They work great if you own your home and you have some of the larger breeds though. Large PVC enclosures are super pricey and PVC sheets are tricky to work with for a novice DIY person. My Burms are in wood enclosures with glass fronts.
    Breeder and keeper of Ball Pythons, Dwarf & SD Retics, Burms, Carpets, Borneos, Bloods, GTP, and some colubrids.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'll weigh in by saying this:

This will be my last winter keeping anything other than my Kingsnake and my hognose in glass. And even they may end up moving.
    It simply has become a pain in the rear end. Granted, the cold has been ridiculous this year and this year is the worst I can remember for heat/humidity. But, as my collection grows and I get older I just want to make things easier on myself, and in turn, better for my snakes.
    Same here. My rosy is in a 20 gallon long while he grows but even he will be getting a pvc enclosure this year. Sick and tired of glass.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Ha, very true. They work great if you own your home and you have some of the larger breeds though. Large PVC enclosures are super pricey and PVC sheets are tricky to work with for a novice DIY person. My Burms are in wood enclosures with glass fronts.
    neither of my current ones are for a snake.. my one is for a bearded dragon and the other is for a tortoise! i might build a smaller one for my hognose as i like the way they look better than glass tanks.

Thanks

Glass tanks:

how do you seal the wood? is a RHP needed for wood then?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Same here. My rosy is in a 20 gallon long while he grows but even he will be getting a pvc enclosure this year. Sick and tired of glass.

I'll hang on to some of my glass, but it will be strictly used for quarantine with new additions.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'll hang on to some of my glass, but it will be strictly used for quarantine with new additions.
    yup!!! spare Q tank as needed.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast