Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,777

1 members and 2,776 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

How much inbreeding is acceptable?

I want to breed my super pastel pied to my pied. Anyone familiar with genetics will know that the only result of ALL the hatchlings will be pastel piebalds, no other morphs.
    So then, I could breed a daughter pastel pied to the father super pastel pied, and get roughly half pastel Pieds and half super pastel Pieds! Cha-Ching! Lol.

Obviously this is direct father daughter inbreeding.
    Then I could breed one of the daughter-daughter killer Pieds to the dad killer pied and get ALL KILLER PIEDS! CHA-CHINGCHINGCHACHING!
    It seems breeding one of these second generation daughter-daughter killer Pieds, to the father killer pied would be more extreme because the daughter would have up to ¾ if the dads genes.

So what say you about this practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 01-06-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: How much inbreeding is acceptable?

It's one of the more complicated questions to answer to be honest.

Inbreeding won't introduce bad genes - but it will increase the chance of expressing any that are there already.

So a single generation of line breeding is possibly going to be ok but you have to be on the lookout for signs that it wasn't. That's the most important point to bear in mind with thinking about extending it to yet another generation. The safest route would to be exchange bloodlines with another breeder if possible. Killer pieds are not so rare as to make that a hard task and ( if done at the start of the process ) it may even save you a few years on the way to your dream clutch.

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-07-2018),Godzilla78 (01-06-2018),SKK_Reptiles (01-18-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Thanks, that seems like good logic anyway. Also, because of timing, I think it would be best to do only one line, and hold back one female pastel piebald and grow her up to breed a clutch with my killer pied. That project will take long enough as it is, without worrying about farther in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    This was one of my concerns when I started planning my projects as well. From the research I did, I chose to go nothing more than one generation breeding back, or even one brother to sister, before breeding back in new bloodlines. The thing is, with ball pythons, it doesn’t have near the same problems as it does with mammals. With that said, I personally still don’t feel comfortable doing more than one generation or even see the need to unless your dealing with a one of a kind new morph and have no other options.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-07-2018),SKK_Reptiles (01-18-2018)