Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 735

1 members and 734 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Should you handle your boa when hungry?

I have an adult 5 foot red tail boa and am feeding her later than usual since I was out traveling. I normally feed her once every 4 weeks but it's been almost 6. I just got back and am planning on feeding her tonight or tomorrow morning but wanted to get her out of the cage for a bit first but wondering if I should leave her alone until after feeding since she is off schedule?

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Should you handle your boa when hungry?

Quote Originally Posted by aliamo View Post
    I have an adult 5 foot red tail boa and am feeding her later than usual since I was out traveling. I normally feed her once every 4 weeks but it's been almost 6. I just got back and am planning on feeding her tonight or tomorrow morning but wanted to get her out of the cage for a bit first but wondering if I should leave her alone until after feeding since she is off schedule?
    My Boa is currently 5 foot and I would not handle him if he was hungry for a long time. I don’t think he will bite me if I did but he will be having only one thing on his mind and that is food. He might be stressed if I did, so better feed him and let him digest first. This is only imagination, i never kept him hungry for 2 weeks
    Last edited by Dutti; 01-04-2018 at 08:21 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutti For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    I wouldn’t worry about it. If you want to get it out get her out. I haven’t fed my big 8ft girl for 2 months or so now. I could go up and get her now and she would be perfectly fine. I’m late feeding my 2 year olds by a week or so now but I could also get them out and be perfectly fine. Honestly any snake I have I could go get right now even the Retics that are always hungry and be perfectly fine.

As as long as you use a hook and don’t have the smell of food in the air it’s not a big deal. The only thing that would be worrying is if you have an overly nervous snake and want to handle it right before feeding. I’ve handled a lot of my snakes on feeding day for a few minutes. Sometimes I even clean cages and do water the same day I feed them.
    4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.2.1 Ball Python, 2.1 Tarahumara Boa, 5.14 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 1.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chip07 For This Useful Post:

Gio (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You will be fine. All of my snakes dont go crazy unless they actually smell food. Then they are all dangerous. Otherwise i can reach in and grab anyone and its fine. Heck my retic is so foody that after i fed him a jumbo rat, he went to take a drink and while drinking, i figured that would be a good time to quietly slide a door open and pull his feeding cardboard out. Well he felt the door open and came flying over, mouth open and spitting up water all over lol. He didnt even care about swallowing the water, he just wanted another rat lol. But once there is no food and his food drive is off, he literally will come over and sit on on my arm. I had him on the floor while i was cleaning his cage and he came over and was trying to climb on me while i was working on his cage. Never seen a snake act like that before. He seems to actually like attention.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018),Gio (01-04-2018)