Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I made my incubator out of a beverage cooler. I got it on Craig's List, the guy actually bought it brand new and it was non-functional. I'm pretty sure they sent him a new one and he kept the old one so I got a screaming deal.

So many people on this forum say that they gut the freezers and beverage coolers before using as an incubator and go through the whole process of taking out all the electronics and hardware. Instead of all that I just opened up the main compartment on the bottom and simply unplugged and disconnected the electric from all of the workings of the cooler. I did leave the LED lights connected and they work great, still on the factory switches. Not sure why you would spend all the time dismantling it all when you can simply unplug electrical connections.

I've heard that a real fridge or freezer will hold better temps than a glass front cooler. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems to the degree where eggs won't hatch. Here's my incubator, I'll be using it for the first time this season. I also have a smaller scientific incubator that I can use if I fill this one up.

Last edited by cchardwick; 01-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Wine Cooler vs. Fridge

Cchardwick for mine it was under a 5 minute matter of taking 4 bolts out that held the motor part into the back and maybe cutting a few wires. It was well worth the small effort to cut down on how heavy it was before hauling up 2 flights of steps!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Re: Wine Cooler vs. Fridge

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I made my incubator out of a beverage cooler. I got it on Craig's List, the guy actually bought it brand new and it was non-functional. I'm pretty sure they sent him a new one and he kept the old one so I got a screaming deal.

So many people on this forum say that they gut the freezers and beverage coolers before using as an incubator and go through the whole process of taking out all the electronics and hardware. Instead of all that I just opened up the main compartment on the bottom and simply unplugged and disconnected the electric from all of the workings of the cooler. I did leave the LED lights connected and they work great, still on the factory switches. Not sure why you would spend all the time dismantling it all when you can simply unplug electrical connections.

I've heard that a real fridge or freezer will hold better temps than a glass front cooler. But I haven't heard of anyone having problems to the degree where eggs won't hatch. Here's my incubator, I'll be using it for the first time this season. I also have a smaller scientific incubator that I can use if I fill this one up.

That’s beautiful! So lucky to find such a nice big one especially for a great deal. Most of them that I’ve seen, including mine are only about half that size. Mines a little bigger but not as large as yours. Mine will fit 10 egg tubs so you should be able to get a bit more in yours.
    One thing I did notice, I don’t see a fan. I installed a fan in mine because it was actually a consistent 2 degrees warmer in the top tub compared to the bottom. Mine is heated exactly like yours. Considering yours is even taller, I would think your going to have at least the same problem if not worse. 2 degrees may not seem like much but when it comes to incubating, consistency is very important. Plus depending on where you put your thermostat probe and what you set it to, 2 degrees could probably kill a clutch. I would at least check your consistency from top to bottom. The fan is such a cheap fix it’s worth it even if you notice very little difference, I just used a little 12v computer cooling fan for less than $20 for everything needed to install. You could get the fan itself for less than 5 if you have everything you need to wire it up. They push very little air but use barely any energy and are made to run 24/7 for years and it was all that was needed to put me at an exact 88.0 in all ten tubs. I just have it mounted at the top rear center pointed down to circulate the air and keep it from gathering heat at the top.
    Last edited by rufretic; 01-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    I would go for a wine cooler (which we tend to call fridge with glass door here... ) For me this is better then constantly having to pull open the incubator to check certain think you could also check through a glass door

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    yeah that tall beverage fridge is nice Chris, but i won't be breeding on that scale.

i was hoping to score a Monster Energy Drink or Rockstar fridge. even a Red Bull. look how cool these look.

Edit: i'm not worried about the glass door. the unit is sealed, there will be a fan and it's thermostat controlled.
    Last edited by Ax01; 01-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Actually now that you mention it I am having troubles with a temperature gradient in the incubator. My heat strip probe say 89, my set point is 89, but the temp on the high shelf is 84. I have a couple fans on the bottom, looks like it's not enough. I may reconnect the fan in the unit, that thing blows as hard as a hairdryer LOL. It sits up on top on the inside of the unit, it's a 110 volt motor so I just need an end on the cord to plug it in.

Using 6 quart tubs I figure I can fit 18 clutches in this thing. I had to move it out of the snake room because the temps were all over the place with the space heater coming on and off, the temps were getting too high, looks like the thermostat couldn't keep up with the temp swings. Out here in the main room with a cooler ambient temp at least the probe and heat mat are maintaining a steady 89 F. I still have a few months before I get eggs, plenty of time to fiddle with the temps to get them dialed in.

Last edited by cchardwick; 01-12-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12