Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

1 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: I Think My BP has RI

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    a thermoSTAT and a thermoMETER are two completely different things.

are the heat mat and the bulb regulated by a thermoSTAT or rheoSTAT? ALL heat sources MUST be regulated! this is non-negotiable, as it will prevent your pet as well as your house from being burned should the heating element run too hot or fail open (on, full-blast)
    I do have a heat regulator

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agl017 View Post
    I do have a heat regulator
    excellent! just wanting to make sure. one less thing for us to worry about.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Also, I don't understand how to send you an image, but I can explain it to you.
    If you haven't done so already, download the free app Tapatalk. You can use that to access this and other forums and it makes uploading photos super easy. Just touch the photo icon and add to your thread - it's so much easier. The fine folks here will help you dial in your husbandry to perfection, and seeing your set-up will get them there quicker.

Good luck to you and your noodle, sounds like he's lucky to have you!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

Thanks

I’d ditch the infrared light for a ceramic heat emitter. Balls are nocturnal or crepuscular if you will and light is a stressor. If the snake is stressed it won’t eat. Your common signs of RI in a ball are elevated head, bubbles around the mouth or mucous in far advanced cases.

If you decide to go to the vet make sure they run a culture to diagnose the type of RI and prescribe either ceftazidime (fortaz) or amikacin. Baytril will commonly be prescribed injection style by a vet that doesn’t deal mainly in exotics and the injections from it can cause some nasty burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BMorrison For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BMorrison View Post
    I’d ditch the infrared light for a ceramic heat emitter. Balls are nocturnal or crepuscular if you will and light is a stressor. If the snake is stressed it won’t eat. Your common signs of RI in a ball are elevated head, bubbles around the mouth or mucous in far advanced cases.

If you decide to go to the vet make sure they run a culture to diagnose the type of RI and prescribe either ceftazidime (fortaz) or amikacin. Baytril will commonly be prescribed injection style by a vet that doesn’t deal mainly in exotics and the injections from it can cause some nasty burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very good point. The culture is quite important, it may end up costing a bit more in the beginning, but once the culture comes back, you and your vet will know exactly what you are up against. Most likely you will get a broad spectrum antibiotic right away, but the culture will show whether you need to change any treatment or tweak it.

Also quite important to try to find a vet that treats reptiles at least somewhat regularly. See if they can also do a fecal while there (might as well get it all done and out of the way...). Even if there is no poop, they can sometimes get something via. a wash, enough to check for parasites (worms) and protozoans such as giardia.

So far the snake doesn't show severe symptoms, so now is the time to treat if treatment is needed. The sooner, the better the chances for a great outcome Parasites and Protozoans are easily treated once you know they are there..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Update:
    We took my snake to the vet today. He does have RI, and thankfully there is nothing else wrong with him. We got some meds. Thank you all so much for the help! I was gone for awhile because I had to convince my parents he was sick. I also got the humidity/ temp gauge one of you suggested. Hope you all have a good year, and I'll give an update when he's healthy again.
    Last edited by agl017; 01-09-2018 at 04:46 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agl017 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-01-2018),SDA (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Update:
    We took my snake to the vet today. He does have RI, and thankfully there is nothing else wrong with him. All we have to do is give him a shot every three days. Thank you all so much for the help! I was gone for awhile because I had to convince my parents he was sick. I also got the humidity/ temp gauge one of you suggested. Hope you all have a good year, and I'll give an update when he's healthy again.
    this is good to hear. good luck with treatment, and please keep us posted on both of your progress!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

It's been a few weeks, so I thought it would be nice to post an update.

I've been giving my BP his shots every three days for the past few weeks (I think the last one is today). It's weird, it seems like his symptoms are very slowly going away (VERY SLOWLY). I've noticed a lot less yawning and gasping. He still has the occasional moment where he will show symptoms of RI. We're going to take him back to the vet to see what further actions we should take, and get him force-fed (He has not eaten since we got him, and I've been trying every week). It's hard caring for a sick snake when it's your first one, I've had a few slip-ups, but it is nice to see him getting better. He's still very active and strong, so he isn't getting worse. I'll give another update soon (hopefully when he's better!).

Bye

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Glad things are getting better for him. If Im correct you got him at the begging of the month. I don't know his weight but Balls go Months without eating especially during winter. A few weeks is nothing. Mine go 2-3 months. Force Feeding may not be necessary at all & Its very stressful on them. Unless he is starving (spine sticking up in a triangle shape) this would be a bad time to stress him more when his immune system is already down.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Glad things are getting better for him. If Im correct you got him at the begging of the month. I don't know his weight but Balls go Months without eating especially during winter. A few weeks is nothing. Mine go 2-3 months. Force Feeding may not be necessary at all & Its very stressful on them. Unless he is starving (spine sticking up in a triangle shape) this would be a bad time to stress him more when his immune system is already down.
    I was actually thinking about that today after I posted the update.

I'll keep trying to feed him, I doubt he'll do it this week. He actaully started going into shed today, so I'm happy to see ge's feeling better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast