Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

2 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Thanks

Re: bunch of general hognose questions before purchasing!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post

...though I would still like to now why the OPs enclosure is too big.
    this is how she explained it to me earlier on in the thread: (for size comparison my hoggie is going to be 10g on arrival) thats how she explained it to me! im a newbie so like pit said, i just regurgitate what everyone else tells me until i experience it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baldegale For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-07-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Just to throw this in there.....
    All of my ball python hatchlings start their lives in a THREE quart tub. Same floor space as a 6 buy half the height.
    Those that know a ball hatches in the 50+ gram area give or take.
    Think about this before you start recommending 10 and 20+ gallon tanks for a 10 to 20 gram animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

I’m curious, why is this too big? They aren’t stuck in super tiny tubs naturally. What is wrong with it?
    Not with proper hides. You can create small spaces inside large spaces, just like tubs are small places in large rooms, hides are small spaces in enclosures. It’s not complicated.
    I only asked your logic. It makes no sense to me, but perhaps you can explain it. I don't accept opinions at face value, with no reasoning behind it. I have no experience, but experience doesn't equal infallibility.
    ...though I would still like to now why the OPs enclosure is too big.
    They're a largely fossorial species - them rostrals ain't just for show. They'll come to the surface for various reasons but when seeking shelter, these critters simply dig down. Adding more clutter doesn't really do anything for hognose snakes if you already have a proper substrate. While it might add a bit of stimulation, it's doing next to nothing for their sense of security. Feeling secure in their surroundings is what you should be aiming for with a new animal to get them on the right track. When someone inexperienced is asking for advice, keeping it simple is often the best policy. Once they have a little hands on experience, then they might want to experiment a bit on their own. As for the "bigger is always better" argument, I hear from panicking owners all the time that can't find their little wiggler in a huge enclosure. While the snake might be perfectly fine, the stress of the owner is going to affect their care. If they never see the snake, they can't rightly know how well it's doing. If they're always digging around looking for that needle in a haystack, the snake is going to constantly be disturbed. Even people who advocate massive, naturalistic setups often start smaller animals in much more cramped and simplistic setups until they're better established.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-07-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-08-2018),Godzilla78 (01-07-2018),tttaylorrr (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    They're a largely fossorial species - them rostrals ain't just for show. They'll come to the surface for various reasons but when seeking shelter, these critters simply dig down. Adding more clutter doesn't really do anything for hognose snakes if you already have a proper substrate. While it might add a bit of stimulation, it's doing next to nothing for their sense of security. Feeling secure in their surroundings is what you should be aiming for with a new animal to get them on the right track. When someone inexperienced is asking for advice, keeping it simple is often the best policy. Once they have a little hands on experience, then they might want to experiment a bit on their own. As for the "bigger is always better" argument, I hear from panicking owners all the time that can't find their little wiggler in a huge enclosure. While the snake might be perfectly fine, the stress of the owner is going to affect their care. If they never see the snake, they can't rightly know how well it's doing. If they're always digging around looking for that needle in a haystack, the snake is going to constantly be disturbed. Even people who advocate massive, naturalistic setups often start smaller animals in much more cramped and simplistic setups until they're better established.
    Thank you John, that’s a huge amount of logic, that I can understand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-07-2018)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112