Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,028

2 members and 3,026 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

bunch of general hognose questions before purchasing!

so heres my bunch of questions:

im looking at a 12gram female hognose currently and i have a a 40 breeder which i know is WAY too big of a tank, i can go out and buy a 10gal tank no issue and would that suffice for that small of a hog? and would the hog be able to eventually go into the 40 breeder?

this is what the person has, and reading a previous thread the feedings are good i just dont know much so id like other opinions.

i havent done much research yet because literally just today i switched my mind from getting a BP to getting a hog, theyre just so darn cute. but any suggestions on temps, substrates, and lights to use? (ill be doing research after i post this just wanted to post while all the questions were fresh on my mind)

im going to nashville repticon in february and ive never seen hognoses there but if i do, what are some questions i should ask the vendors about the snake that i want?

right now these are all the questions i can think of but any input helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to hognose even the largest adult female will have too much space in a 40 gallons breeder not too mention the difficty of providing proper temps

To start of at 12 grams you want something no bigger than a 6 quarts tub sometime there is even a need for something much smaller, 10 gallons is still too big

As far as care the info is out there there are various datasheets.

As far as question you want to make sure to ask about feeding and here are the things to avoid.

Do not buy an animal that is feeding on scented preys.
    Do not buy an animal that feed on live (finding live pinkies is very hard and would get old quick)

Make sure the animal is well started at least 10 meals on unscented and 10 meals on frozen, those are the minimum I would expect especially for a new owner.

More and more you see new owner buying hognose that feed on scented or may have had one or 2 f/t (sellers are in a hurry to move them) and it's a big mistake, because if your hognose does not feed for you, you have very little room to get them back on track due to their small size.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

baldegale (01-06-2018),Jus1More (01-05-2018),MissterDog (03-05-2018)

Thanks

Re: bunch of general hognose questions before purchasing!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    When it comes to hognose even the largest adult female will have too much space in a 40 gallons breeder not too mention the difficty of providing proper temps

To start of at 12 grams you want something no bigger than a 6 quarts tub sometime there is even a need for something much smaller, 10 gallons is still too big

As far as care the info is out there there are various datasheets.

As far as question you want to make sure to ask about feeding and here are the things to avoid.

Do not buy an animal that is feeding on scented preys.
    Do not buy an animal that feed on live (finding live pinkies is very hard and would get old quick)

Make sure the animal is well started at least 10 meals on unscented and 10 meals on frozen, those are the minimum I would expect especially for a new owner.

More and more you see new owner buying hognose that feed on scented or may have had one or 2 f/t (sellers are in a hurry to move them) and it's a big mistake, because if your hognose does not feed for you, you have very little room to get them back on track due to their small size.
    i just looked up 6 quart containers and theyre most definitely cheap, how would i regulate heat in such a small space? dont even know how id fit hides/water dish in something that small. after doing research im seeing to keep temps at 90° on hot side and ambient temps at 80°. i saw aswell that a 20long is typical for adults.

Thanks

also- i know BPs can get intimidated in bigger tanks but are better when you clutter the tank, is it the same case with hogs? like could i use a bigger tank but have lots of plants n hides n stuff like that?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Worth remembering that Hoggies are rear-fanged and as such mildly venomous ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Worth remembering that Hoggies are rear-fanged and as such mildly venomous ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ah yes i know, that was one thing that also had me on edge but ive heard from many many people how rare it actually is to get bit

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People underestimate the size of a 6 quarts tub especially for a hognose they also often do not realise are tiny a 12 grams snake really is.

To give you some perspective I took some pictures of an actual 6 quarts tub and a 12 grams hatchling female hognose and I also did the same with a 120 grams female hognose (so 10 times the size), you will also see a quarter for size reference.

Your 6 quarts tub will last your for a year or more depending on whether you are feeding your hognose adequately or not, at a year a female should be about 75 grams at that time depending on how well she feeds she will do fine in a 10 gallons or if you want to save money in a 12 or 15 quarts tub. Once she is around 200 grams she will be ready for her final enclosure a 20 gallons tank.

When you buy your 6 quarts tub I will also advice to buy a 2.7 quarts tub l just in case, because if you have feeding issue downsizing will be your first step. (1 of them at walmart will be around $3.00 while your 6 quarts tub will be from $1.00 to $3.00)

As for regulating heat it’s like in a tank you use a heat mat, I will recommend Ultraterm as they are more sturdy and can be moved from one enclosure to another) and a reliable thermostat, you want to cover 1/4 to 1/3 of the tub. This one will work now and on your permanent enclosure in the future.

While you have room to provide a hide (6 inch plastic flower pot saucer), it will be unnecessary, Hognose do not use hides what they need however is 2 inches of the adequate substrate (aspen) that will allow them to do what is natural for them digging and bury themselves.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (01-05-2018),C.Marie (01-04-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-04-2018),Jus1More (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I would check out the youtube channel for hognose information. She breeds hognose and has excellent tips on how to house and feed them.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    People underestimate the size of a 6 quarts tub especially for a hognose they also often do not realise are tiny a 12 grams snake really is.

To give you some perspective I took some pictures of an actual 6 quarts tub and a 12 grams hatchling female hognose and I also did the same with a 120 grams female hognose (so 10 times the size), you will also see a quarter for size reference.

Your 6 quarts tub will last your for a year or more depending on whether you are feeding your hognose adequately or not, at a year a female should be about 75 grams at that time depending on how well she feeds she will do fine in a 10 gallons or if you want to save money in a 12 or 15 quarts tub. Once she is around 200 grams she will be ready for her final enclosure a 20 gallons tank.

When you buy your 6 quarts tub I will also advice to buy a 2.7 quarts tub l just in case, because if you have feeding issue downsizing will be your first step. (1 of them at walmart will be around $3.00 while your 6 quarts tub will be from $1.00 to $3.00)

As for regulating heat it’s like in a tank you use a heat mat, I will recommend Ultraterm as they are more sturdy and can be moved from one enclosure to another) and a reliable thermostat, you want to cover 1/4 to 1/3 of the tub. This one will work now and on your permanent enclosure in the future.

While you have room to provide a hide (6 inch plastic flower pot saucer), it will be unnecessary, Hognose do not use hides what they need however is 2 inches of the adequate substrate (aspen) that will allow them to do what is natural for them digging and bury themselves.
    this just put me massively at ease cause the heating was my main concern, i bought a heating pad n thermostat for a 40 gal breeder cause i initially planned on getting a BP but hogs are irresistible to me. i can ship the mat back but ill keep the jumpstart thermostat n thermometer. which is better, aspen shavings or aspen chips? also how do i provide light?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Oops forgot to put the youtube channel I meant LO Check out snake discovery

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnI...8Xj-ArA/videos
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast