Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,279

2 members and 2,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

9-1-1 new fox show condones killing snake as show gag.

Just watched the premier of 9-1-1 and one of the setups was the firefighters going to an upper class house for a 911 call about a woman choking because her albino what looked like a burmese was coiling around her neck.

They arrive to find the snake wrapped around the neck of the victim and make a pathetic attempt to uncoil it but of course seem to have trouble. The plucky troublemaker young firefighter yells how they don't have time for this and hacks off the snake's head. Instead of the owner having a fit about it she makes goo-goo eyes at the pretty firefighter that saved her life.

This is absolutely disgusting treating a snake like a filthy object bound to kill the owner. I understand some people are careless about the care of their snakes but to have a show kill a snake for drama instead of using realistic attempts to uncoil an obviously not aggressive snake is to me beyond animal abuse. I understand the snake did not really die but even in the acting it shows a gross disrespect for the herp hobby and owners.

I am writing Fox to complain as well as any other advocacy groups to criticize them portraying killing a snake unnecessarily without consequence.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: 9-1-1 new fox show condones killing snake as show gag.

Its just a tv. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I don't appreciate the comment. This upset me greatly and I felt strongly enough to say something about it.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

AmericanTacos (01-05-2018),BR8080 (01-08-2018),C.Marie (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Its just a tv. Relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I don't appreciate the comment. This upset me greatly and I felt strongly enough to say something about it.
    part of me wants to agree with Godzilla, but the other part of me agrees with you SDA.

i hate the ignorance, i hate the stereotype, and the best thing we can do is provide knowledge. however, people watching those types of television aren't in it for the info.

do you have a link to anything about the show? honestly idk what show you're talking about lol and i'd like to form my own opinion.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-03-2018)

Thanks

I've only seen the promos but that just seems like lazy writing on their part, I wouldn't expect them to do anything about it. And not to nitpick but that snake was a retic lol. They show it in the promo at about 3 seconds in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I think it's legit to be upset. Think how people would be screaming if they hacked the head off a cat because it was jumping on it's owner. But because it's a snake, it's not only okay, it is often seen as humorous.

Shows that are completely fictional still influence their viewers. The character could have unwound the snake and still been seen as a hero, saving her life, blah blah. But instead they beheaded a pet.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    No they won't and I am just worked up about something that won't get anything done but if we want to change the impression about snakes this kind of bad tv won't help.

Sorry if I offended anyone for making something out of nothing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

No they won't and I am just worked up about something that won't get anything done but if we want to change the impression about snakes this kind of bad tv won't help.

i think Godzilla's statement was out of empathy and an attempt to help you not focus so negatively on something. i think they meant it in a caring way. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!)

no one is offended with your passion to keep these animals in a positive light. heck, we're a snake forum! here, your feelings are 100% valid. if you find a way to get in contact with anyone, i will gladly send something out along with you. if i saw the same thing (tho honestly, from your description, i'd rather avoid it), i'm sure i'd be posting here as furious as you.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-03-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I think trying to change the negative impressions about snakes is a noble goal I just think writing to fox isn't a very good way to getting that across. Maybe if more people who aren't familiar with snakes got a chance to actually interact with them we might be able to change some opinions about them. My interest in snakes started when I took a zoo tour and they let us handle a couple snakes.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018),Godzilla78 (01-04-2018),MissterDog (01-04-2018),redshepherd (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Writing to Fox(or to the show creators) can't hurt either though. If that's the only thing that you CAN do in response, then do it.

You can also tweet to the producers, the stars, the show twitter, the channel twitter...
    You can post on the facebook pages of all of those.
    You can post on the Instagram pages of all of those.
    Etc.

Use social media to share that it was unacceptable to show the beheading of a PET on the show in your opinion. Write calm, reasoned posts too, not giant all-caps shouts about SNAEKS R UR FRANDS! Point out that millions of reptiles are kept as pets, or that showing the killing of an animal kept as a pet is not good programming, whether it's a snake or a kitten.. these will possibly be read as a coherent response. After all, you're not saying they should cancel the show and charge everyone with animal cruelty... you're just wanting to point out that it WAS a pet, and unacceptable to kill pets for no reason.

Try not to get emotionally upset as much as possible, because that won't help, either you or the reptiles. But it's upsetting. It's promoting cruel behavior. It's vilifying reptiles.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (01-04-2018),elleon (01-06-2018),Timelugia (01-04-2018),tttaylorrr (01-04-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast