Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,744

2 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Dangerous Cat/Snake Mix?

I'm not sure if this is more of a cat question than a snake question but...

As I state on the many... many threads I have made for various pre-cautionary questions, I'm about to get my first ball python. I have a bit of an obsessive disorder, so I tend to insanely obsess over things I don't necessarily have to. Like, after I was in a bad wreck (that didn't even involve a traffic light) I've developed an insanely intense fear/anxiety about green lights turning to yellow. As soon as any stoplight comes into my line of sight I begin to obsess over whether it will turn yellow, and how I could stop.

My fear of absolutely anything that could endanger a future snake is about the same. Most topics can be easily settled with "you're getting the wrong thermostat" and a hella lot of "don't use tape".

However, my biggest fear is something that can't really be 100% determined. We have a cat, spends about 50/50 indoor and outdoor. Like most outdoor cats, he hunts lizards and mice and such. He even tried to attack a rattlesnake once (to which we swooped in and prevented him from confronting it xD).

My family thinks it's much less of a problem as I do. I have no clue how desperate the cat will be to get to the snake - even curiosity to could be deadly as my terrarium (Exo-Terra... I'm in college, no way i could afford a PVC) has a screen top that would collapse under the weight of my cat should he decide to jump up and investigate. I don't even know if I could carry my snake out of my room without it potentially trying to jump up and kill it.

Does anybody own a snake AND a cat? If so, has your cat ever posed a threat to it, or maybe even has anyone had a snake who died by a cat's paws(?) in the past?

Keeping my door closed when I'm not home is an option but my family comes into my room a lot and they may forget to close it when I'm not home. I also leave my door open when doing chores (as I'm in and out) and the cat sometimes comes in. Basically, how obsessed over this should I be? Is it cause for this much worry is it another traffic light situation where it isn't as bad as my brain thinks it is?
    If I didn't ask your opinion, I don't want it.

--

Proud artist and reptile lover <3

--

Yes, I do believe snakes are capable of enjoying a human's presence.

Thanks
    I own 2 cats, 5 dogs, and 50+ snakes. Most of the time, a cat or dog will be curious about something for a bit, and then it just becomes part of the environment. The biggest thing you need to make sure of is that whatever caging you use is completely secure, so that a curious kitty can't knock it over, off a shelf, or lay on it and collapse the top. Or open it if said kitty ends up being really persistent. Other than that all a cat could really do is stare at the cage. Since balls tend to be pretty sedate unless hungry, there won't be much movement for the cat to focus on.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkbird For This Useful Post:

AmericanTacos (01-03-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I have snakes and a cat, and keep the snakes and cat separated with no real issue. It's as easy as keep the snake room door closed when I'm not in it.

As for bringing the snakes outside the snake room, which I do often, I make sure the cat is in another room if I'm home alone. If my girlfriend and I are home watching tv together or something, the cat is always on her lap, the snakes on mine. We are also on separate couches across the room from each other.

That being said, my cat is a lazy, indoor lapcat. If my cat was an outdoor cat who was prone to attacking rodents, reptiles, birds, etc... the cat would NEVER be in the same room as the snakes.

As for your folks leaving your door open, maybe just have a serious talk with them expressing the importance of keeping the door closed. You might even want to hang a "PLEASE KEEP DOOR CLOSED" sign on the door as a reminder.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

AmericanTacos (01-03-2018)

Thanks

Re: Dangerous Cat/Snake Mix?

If I have the snake out and handling it and the cat happens to come around, do you think the cat would try to attack while I was holding it?

--

--

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Definitely secure your top. Knowing cats, if he can jump on top, he will jump on top. If the screen cannot withstand that with absolute certainty, then you are right to worry.

Have you thought about using a large sterilite tub instead of the Exo Terra? Cheaper, easier to control temps/humidity, easily relocate-able, and can have locking lids.

ETA: You know your cat better than us. If he has a strong prey drive, perhaps he would go after your snake. Mine is much like Craig's, fat & lazy and couldn't be bothered for the most part. Even then, I would not purposely handle my snake with the cat in proximity. But I wouldn't be terrified of him walking in either. So it just depends on your cat's particular instincts.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 01-03-2018 at 02:52 PM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    happens all the time.

keep them separated. i own 5 snakes and one 12-year-old cat. i thought she was safe around me when i held my snakes because she's old and just wants to cuddle. one night she felt the snake near her, quickly whipped her head around and started licking whatever was irritating her. i couldn't react anywhere near fast enough had the situation turned sour.

don't take a risk on your animal's safety.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-03-2018 at 02:52 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

AmericanTacos (01-03-2018),bcr229 (01-03-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-03-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Dangerous Cat/Snake Mix?

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTacos View Post
    If I have the snake out and handling it and the cat happens to come around, do you think the cat would try to attack while I was holding it?
    Unfortunately, I don't know your cat, so can't give a fair opinion.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh my cat is a total jerk (I love him, but he just is). He barely tolerates humans just because we're big, and he acts aggressive towards any other animals. My grandmother can't bring her dogs over because one animal would certainly die (and I don't think it would be the cat...). I just don't know if a smaller, less threatening animal would be different? Most likely not, I'm just concerned about exactly HOW strict I need to keep safety levels, like whether I need to put the cat outside/in a closed-off room if I want to bring the snake out of my bedroom.

I did consider a plastic container, but honestly the Exo Terra just appealed to me the most. I got for about 40% on a Christmas sale and I do like the aesthetic of it. I'm repainting the built-in background and thinking of painting covers for the other two exposed sides. That way the snake still gets security of a PVC, without me spending the money of a PVC. The top is the only downside at this point, solely because of the cat. I'll only be living at home for about two more years until I'm stable enough to get my own place, so the cat won't be a problem forever but I'd like the enclosure to last as long as the snake (which I'm trying desperately to ensure will be lifelong).

A glass tank with 3 covered sides felt like a good compromise between the aesthetic of a PVC, and budget of a plastic. I would consider building a more secure cover for the top, but I need the heat lamp. I don't believe the cat would get under the lamp, so I'm thinking just a thin, plywood cover with a rectangle cute out for the lamp square?

--

--

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    All it takes is one spooked cat taking a swipe at a snake for your pocket book to take a hit while you rush to a vet.

Could versus should scenario again. Can you keep snakes and cats out to interact? Sure that is your right as an owner but should you take that risk of that one time something happening and you end up more stressed than you ever have been? Why take the risk?
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I would do everything in my power to keep the cat out of the snake room, including putting a lock on the door so others people can't enter when you're not there. Your cat sounds like a high prey drive critter and if you're gung-ho on using a tank with a heat lamp, expect that cat to want to get on the tank at some point and the lamp will likely get knocked off onto the floor, which creates a fire hazard if the heat bulb or CHE doesn't break.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast