Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

4 members and 2,889 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    but... she didn't feed the last time you offered so there are no swelling to check for. no reason to get her out again. you don't need to check for swelling or lumps anyways, i can see the food item was too big based on the photos which is probably why she didn't eat.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: Roe progression thread!

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    but... she didn't feed the last time you offered so there are no swelling to check for. no reason to get her out again. you don't need to check for swelling or lumps anyways, i can see the food item was too big based on the photos which is probably why she didn't eat.
    I could be wrong but I think I read that roe did eat. That's why I asked about a lump.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Oh ok! Shes not out now, but I dont see any swelling or noticeable lumps. Ill be on the look out. Id get her out and check again but I dont want to stress her.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good. Let her be!

Again, great job on the temps!

Keep us up to date!

Just a thought, but you might want to consider getting a really good enclosure for her (and big) for when she's a bigger, and eventually a really big girl.

Female BCI's can get 6-8FT and big around! It takes a while though, so you have time.

However, I switched to enclosed tanks (with just clear front openings) years ago and have never looked back. Better for temps, humidity, stacking, etc.

I currently have a Boaphile Plastics setup with 5 6X2' tanks, double/redundant thermostats, multiple heat sources, etc.

Many people here use Animal Plastics as well (AP). I found Jeff at Boaphile incredibly helpful and patient with helping me get the right setups and setting them up when I got them. I have never had custom built tanks before, having bought PVC tanks and installed my own RHP, UTH, and thermostats, etc.

What a difference!

Phenomenal temp control and humidity control and big enough to give a nice temp gradient to even an adult BCI female.

I really sleep well with the redundant thermostats too! I want my animals to be safe! Always!

Anyway, many caging forums here, but as Roe grows, and you other snakes grow, it might make a lot of sense to consider.

Big, well built tanks, are easier to maintain and less complex setups in many ways. My 6X2' tank weighs about as much as a 30G glass tank, give or take. They are also stackable. I had tanks all over my finished basement, now 5 tanks take up one wall. One thermostat runs several hot sides for tanks that have the same requirements and the same heating elements. One thermostat runs several cool sides as well. Much simpler and you have the manufacturer of the tank there to help and stand behind their products.

Glass tanks and multiple different tanks means multiple different eco systems and extra work. Also, much harder to maintain temps and humidity, as you are learning!

I am very meticulous about temps and humidity, etc. My new setup is much easier to adjust, when needed (not often), and I am very comfortable knowing all my reptiles are safe and happy.

I think you are the same way.

These large enclosures are not cheap though, so depending on where you are in life, and what your budget is, you might want to start saving soon! There is also lead time with all the manufacturers because the tanks are made to order (size, heat elements, etc.). Expect 6-13 weeks depending on who you order from. So, it has to be a planned decision.

Sorry I ran on here, but I am so much happier and less anxious now that I have a good setup for all my reptiles.

Thanks

AbsoluteApril, I missed it too. Apparently Roe ate overnight, but not when offered. Shy baby! Plus, temps were likely off too, which probably did not help. We have also discussed in the thread, proper techniques for defrosting and offering F/T prey.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    ahh okay i did miss that, thanks!
    For the Horde!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2018)

Thanks

ahh okay i did miss that, thanks!
    No problem! Many topics covered in this thread, and it's getting a little long. As I said, I missed it too!

I appreciate your posts and knowledge, by the way. Thank you!

Thanks

The lump check was just for curiosity of the prey size. The picture of the actual rat looked huge but the pill bottle was very small. I looked through all the recent pictures and didn't see a lump so it was definitely just the angle of the prey pic making it look to big. If the rat was as big as it looked originally, it woulda been a huge lump that you would have easily noticed. Let him rest and digest. I'm glad you got the temps under control.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2018),GpBp (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    No problem! Many topics covered in this thread, and it's getting a little long. As I said, I missed it too!

I appreciate your posts and knowledge, by the way. Thank you!
    This thread turned into a rollercoaster for a little while

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-24-2018),GpBp (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    This thread turned into a rollercoaster for a little while
    Yes, but all is well that ends well!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-24-2018)

Thanks

Thank you guys! I agree, was defiantly a rollercoaster! But her temps are great, and she's great! I should've made it clearer that she ate overnight lol. I will certainly get a much larger tank for her over time. BCI's are slow growers, so I do have time to save. I want to get something really nice for her! She will be a big girl, so a nice big viv for her would be wonderful. She is in only a 10gal now, but that is because her tank was meant to be for a hognose! So DEFINATLY upgrading soon. My bp May needs a bigger tank here soon so ill probably give Mays 20gal to Roe (for the time being). But yes, I am actually pretty ecxited to do some tank shopping for her! Her tempratures have been staying where they are.

But... if you know me I'm always gonna have another question! Roe has two lights on her tank, one normal light and one with a dimmer. I had the dimmer on the cool side on low to keep it warm and the normal light on the warm side (does that make sense?). So I usually just turned off normal light at night so dimmer would keep tank warm and be low light so she can rest. But now, so temps are ok, I have dimmer on hot side and normal on cool side. Dimmer is all the way up. What do I turn off tonight? I want it to stay warm, but I want her to be able to sleep!

But thank you so much guys. I was kinda freaking out tbh but everyone helped me get though it! I love this forum so much!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast