Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

0 members and 3,015 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Roe progression thread!

OMG! Just cheaked heat mat temps, and it was 120°F!!! I checked two days ago at 90°F!! The probe must've come loose, t-stat is set to 86°F. Fixing it right away!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    OMG! Just cheaked heat mat temps, and it was 120°F!!! I checked two days ago at 90°F!! The probe must've come loose, t-stat is set to 86°F. Fixing it right away!

GpBp, if she avoided the heat mat, she is probably ok. Does she seem to have discoloration on her? Like a burn?

Regardless, you have to check temps and probes daily. Not trying to be mean, but Roe is relying on you.

How did you secure the probe? What kind of tank again?

Secondly, ambient is too low as is the cool side.

I get confused between all the threads and all the new BCI keepers. I thought we had gone through this. If so, excuse me here, if not, this is important.

BCI's want:

86-90F hot side/hot spot

79-82F ambient temps

79-81F cool spot.

Or there about.

Take a deep breath. Remember, panicking leads to rash and often poor decisions.

Remember the basics first, always.

1. Temps
    2. Humidity
    3. Cleanliness

If these basic husbandry items are met, you should have a happy and healthy snake for a long time.

This really explains, more than anything, why Roe likely hasn't eaten again. Also, she might not be getting enough heat (and she's avoiding the really hot area) to process food and pass waste.

Please update when possible.

Hope everything is ok.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Thanks

Probe is taped into place and cooling right now. Cant believe it! I checked her for burns, and thankfully there was nothing. Wow! It ended up stopping at 105.2 I feel so bad!https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a90c139...1423400338.mp4

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Probe is taped into place and cooling right now. Cant believe it! I checked her for burns, and thankfully there was nothing. Wow! It ended up stopping at 105.2 I feel so bad!https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a90c139...1423400338.mp4

Okay. Deep breath.

Very good no burns! Check again in a day or less to make sure she doesn't show signs of burns later, but you are probably ok.

You probably dodged a bullet.

How is the probe placed? What tape, etc. Specifically what will keep it from coming lose again?

Again, deep breath. New snake keepers have a tendency to overwhelm themselves and inevitably forget something important.

Develop a routine of checking:

1. Temps/Probe placement
    2. Humidity
    3. Keep the tank clean
    4. Fresh water

I'll probably think of something else later.

A routine ensures that you don't forget something and it's better to have a quick 1 minute daily check, then a hurt animal, or worse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Thanks

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a90be8f...1867614379.mp4

One other thing, and again, sorry for seeming preachy. Always support a snake fully. If she is wiggling around (as it looks in the picture - blurriness), she is not happy. She does not feel supported.

You want them to feel secure and also not get hurt. A supported animal is a safe and comfortable animal.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Thanks

The probe is placed with scotch tape, and the sticky UTH over it so its secure. I probably bumped it the other day while I was cleaning the gecko tanks (right beside her tank). I'm so glad shes okay! Ive calmed down and I'm fixing everything, and temps now are:

83°F Hot Side
    78°F Cool Side
    79°F Gradient

UTH now is 100°F and only getting better. Thank you! Ill make sure to follow that every morning, not just with Roe but with my other two. I always make sure they have water but I'm not so great with checking the temps and looking at the probe. Thank you! I hope I didn't stress Roe out too much with the surprise belly check!

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    One other thing, and again, sorry for seeming preachy. Always support a snake fully. If she is wiggling around (as it looks in the picture - blurriness), she is not happy. She does not feel supported.

You want them to feel secure and also not get hurt. A supported animal is a safe and comfortable animal.
    Thank you. I do always try to support them, I just tried to get a good picture of her stomach in that pic. She was wiggling and I should've had my hand by her! But I promise I took the picture quickly (thats the blurriness lol) and put her back.

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

The probe is placed with scotch tape, and the sticky UTH over it so its secure. I probably bumped it the other day while I was cleaning the gecko tanks (right beside her tank). I'm so glad shes okay! Ive calmed down and I'm fixing everything, and temps now are:

83°F Hot Side
    78°F Cool Side
    79°F Gradient

UTH now is 100°F and only getting better. Thank you! Ill make sure to follow that every morning, not just with Roe but with my other two. I always make sure they have water but I'm not so great with checking the temps and looking at the probe. Thank you! I hope I didn't stress Roe out too much with the surprise belly check!

Scotch tape is terrible. It won't hold it, or at least not for long.

Am I correct that it is sandwiched between the UTH and the tank and resting on something to keep it from coming out also?

Either way, use duct/electrical tape, etc, IMO.

Roe was probably more stressed out by the super hot environment than you taking her out.

Until you get in the habit, I would check morning and night.

At this point, I check my thermostats 2X a day, and make sure the probes are where they are supposed to be as well.

I usually only check temps 1X a day because my setup is very reliable as long as the probes are in place. I also check if there is any dramatic change in room temp, humidity, etc.

My probes are secured and I have yet to have one come out. However, I still check.

In my old setup, it wasn't as good, and I moved the gecko tank a little and pulled the probe out. I checked 1/2 hour later and it had come out and was too hot. Also make a habit of checking the probes and temps anytime you move a setup. Too risky not too.

The point is twofold. 1. Better safe than sorry. 2. We all make mistakes. It happens. How we respond and how we limit the damage is what makes the difference.

I didn't want you to think I was picking on you and thought I was immune to mistakes. I am still learning, we all should be. I make mistakes too. However knowing that, I check the tanks often!

Don't get discouraged. When you get in a routine, you will feel better, the animals will be better for it, and you will sleep at night. Better for all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Scotch tape is terrible. It won't hold it, or at least not for long.

Am I correct that it is sandwiched between the UTH and the tank and resting on something to keep it from coming out also?

Either way, use duct/electrical tape, etc, IMO.

Roe was probably more stressed out by the super hot environment than you taking her out.

Until you get in the habit, I would check morning and night.

At this point, I check my thermostats 2X a day, and make sure the probes are where they are supposed to be as well.

I usually only check temps 1X a day because my setup is very reliable as long as the probes are in place. I also check if there is any dramatic change in room temp, humidity, etc.

My probes are secured and I have yet to have one come out. However, I still check.

In my old setup, it wasn't as good, and I moved the gecko tank a little and pulled the probe out. I checked 1/2 hour later and it had come out and was too hot. Also make a habit of checking the probes and temps anytime you move a setup. Too risky not too.

The point is twofold. 1. Better safe than sorry. 2. We all make mistakes. It happens. How we respond and how we limit the damage is what makes the difference.

I didn't want you to think I was picking on you and thought I was immune to mistakes. I am still learning, we all should be. I make mistakes too. However knowing that, I check the tanks often!

Don't get discouraged. When you get in a routine, you will feel better, the animals will be better for it, and you will sleep at night. Better for all.
    Awesome. Yes, the probe is sandwiched between tank and UTH. I will switch to duct tape, could I move Roe into a tub or something for about 5 mins while I hold the tank up to secure it? I'm going to make myself a checklist. I have this for my guinea pigs to
    1: make sure theres pellet food
    2: make sure water is full
    3: make sure the cage is clean
    4: make sure both are healthy
    5: give them their dailey lettuce, fruits, etc.

I will defiantly do this for all of my snakes (and geckos), and probably twice a day. I'm making a list right now thank you. So, can I move Roe while I switch to duct tape real quick?

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Nevermind, I slid it where the edge of the tank hung off the side of the table so I could fix it. I used thick black duct tape I'm doimg this to my bps tank now

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018)

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast