Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,558

2 members and 1,556 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Roe progression thread!

Quote Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
    What is your "caoxing" method?
    Wiggiling it in front or her with these tongs

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks

"That scared me to death" was my mom lol.
    Hope this helps a little, this was me feeding my ball a little while backhttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a8f8339...1739516970.mp4

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Ok I'm just going to leave all rodents in overnight. None of the snakes struck, and I'm so stressed out right now. Me and my mom just got into a huge fight and I just don't feel good about it. Sorry, I know this isn't the right thing to do im just so stressed right now.

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.

I wouldn't sweat her missing a feeding this week. Wait until next week before offering again, and pretty much leave Roe alone. Don't handle her or move her unless you have to clean, etc.

However, as stated earlier, warming in hot water will begin cooking the mouse or rat (the smaller the prey item the more likely it will cook and the faster it will cook). Not warming at the end makes it less appetizing. Get a plastic container, shoebox size at walmart, target, etc. Keep it solely for the purpose of defrosting rodents. I do not use for anything else. Defrost as described earlier in this post (room temp or slightly warmer water). Then quick bath in hot water.

I am not saying that is why she didn't eat; frankly it's probably something else. However, you do not want to give her reasons not to eat something. You want it to be as enticing as possible.

You also want to isolate what the problem is if this continues.

If you are feeding appropriate sized meals, which it looks like you are, defrosted properly, that helps narrow it down.

Some snakes, especially young snakes, do not like the rat being shook to much, especially in their face.

BCI's generally strike with the slightest movement. They don't need to be enticed, or coaxed, as you say, into eating.

I would move it a little, let her know it's there, and if she seems interested, hold it pretty still or just a little movement.

Just my two cents.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Ok I'm just going to leave all rodents in overnight. None of the snakes struck, and I'm so stressed out right now. Me and my mom just got into a huge fight and I just don't feel good about it. Sorry, I know this isn't the right thing to do im just so stressed right now.

Ok to leave overnight. Make sure to remove in the morning if not eaten.

Take some deep breaths.

Read my last post and what other users have to say.

Relax, we are here to help and you will figure it out.

You being stressed and making decisions under stress isn't going to help the snakes.

It will be okay.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I wouldn't sweat her missing a feeding this week. Wait until next week before offering again, and pretty much leave Roe alone. Don't handle her or move her unless you have to clean, etc.

However, as stated earlier, warming in hot water will begin cooking the mouse or rat (the smaller the prey item the more likely it will cook and the faster it will cook). Not warming at the end makes it less appetizing. Get a plastic container, shoebox size at walmart, target, etc. Keep it solely for the purpose of defrosting rodents. I do not use for anything else. Defrost as described earlier in this post (room temp or slightly warmer water). Then quick bath in hot water.

I am not saying that is why she didn't eat; frankly it's probably something else. However, you do not want to give her reasons not to eat something. You want it to be as enticing as possible.

You also want to isolate what the problem is if this continues.

If you are feeding appropriate sized meals, which it looks like you are, defrosted properly, that helps narrow it down.

Some snakes, especially young snakes, do not like the rat being shook to much, especially in their face.

BCI's generally strike with the slightest movement. They don't need to be enticed, or coaxed, as you say, into eating.

I would move it a little, let her know it's there, and if she seems interested, hold it pretty still or just a little movement.

Just my two cents.
    Thank you so much! It really doesnt look like shes gonna eat tonight. Do you mind giving a picture of you thawing box/a step process of how you do it? Sorry I'm a bit confused there. Also, I have been leaving Roe alone completely. I havent held her in at least 2 weeks (exept for when I moved her to take her shed). Thank you so much

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Ok to leave overnight. Make sure to remove in the morning if not eaten.

Take some deep breaths.

Read my last post and what other users have to say.

Relax, we are here to help and you will figure it out.

You being stressed and making decisions under stress isn't going to help the snakes.

It will be okay.
    Thank you
    I'm going to take a shower and see if anyome has eaten. I do expect my balls to eat as they have both been great eaters and seemed interested, though this is only Genos second rat so I'm not sure about him. It doesn't seem like Roe will though. I'm worried about her, but this helps a lot. Thank you so so much, ill be sure to pay good attention to how I defrost next week. I'm gonna go calm down a bit, sorry I dont mean to be dramatic!

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Thank you so much! It really doesnt look like shes gonna eat tonight. Do you mind giving a picture of you thawing box/a step process of how you do it? Sorry I'm a bit confused there. Also, I have been leaving Roe alone completely. I havent held her in at least 2 weeks (exept for when I moved her to take her shed). Thank you so much

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-6-Qt...Clear/54515538

You can them anywhere. The supermarket, walmart, target, hardware store probably, Amazon.com, etc.

This is the exact size I use.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),GpBp (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Thank you
    I'm going to take a shower and see if anyome has eaten. I do expect my balls to eat as they have both been great eaters and seemed interested, though this is only Genos second rat so I'm not sure about him. It doesn't seem like Roe will though. I'm worried about her, but this helps a lot. Thank you so so much, ill be sure to pay good attention to how I defrost next week. I'm gonna go calm down a bit, sorry I dont mean to be dramatic!

Sounds good. Please update either way so we know if Roe and Company ate.

Sounds like you are still learning a lot, and that is okay. Better to learn sooner than later and do it correctly for the life of your animals.

Good luck!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-23-2018),GpBp (02-22-2018)

Thanks

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-6-Qt...Clear/54515538

You can them anywhere. The supermarket, walmart, target, hardware store probably, Amazon.com, etc.

This is the exact size I use.

STEPS FOR DEFROSTING F/T RODENTS/PREY

1. Put prey item(s) into appropriate size plastic bag (1 for each). I use Quart size ziplock bags up to a medium rat. NOTE: Bags are optional. Some people just throw the prey in the water. I like the bags, but you have to squeeze the air out of them.

2. Fill the container/storage box 3/4 of the way with room temp to slightly warm water. If you have a temp gun (which you should, so if you don't, get one), make sure the water is not hotter than 85-90F, or there about.

3. Put F/T prey item(s) in water. Cover (optional) and leave for an hour +/-.

4. After an hour, rotate/flip prey. If in plastic bags, they often will stay on whatever side you put them in on. So if mouse is on left side, turn to right side, etc.

5. Leave for another hour +/- for a TOTAL of about 2 hours (up to medium sized rat - longer if bigger prey for when ROE is bigger and eating Large rats, for example).

6. Check that prey is defrosted totally through. Squeeze at different sections of the preys body. Should be cool/room temp to touch, but be soft with no cold spots. If hard (except for bone), in abdomen, for example, or cold, put back in water until room temp and soft.

7. Take prey out of the container/storage box and put aside.

8. Fill container with hot water from tap. If using temp gun, water temp should be 110-130F, not more.

9. Drop prey item into water for 30 seconds +/-. If multiple prey items, do one at a time. You want each item hot when you offer.

10. Remove (if hot water, with tongs).

11. Dry as best as you can, and is quickly as you can, with paper towels. I dry with paper towels while I am walking from the bathroom where I defrost to the snake tanks. I kind of wrap the prey item up in them. It's ten feet, so by the time I get to the tanks, the prey is drier, but still warm.

12. Open tank and offer ASAP.
    No one ate. I even took Roes mouse and got water up to 100° and stuck it in there for 30secs. Nothing! In still going to leave all food in overnight though. Thank you

And, do you use one tub for all rodents, or one each? Ill go by Wal-Mart this weekend and get something.

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast