Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,944

0 members and 2,944 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Roe progression thread!

Ok, so tonight is feeding night. I'll feed around 8pm-9pm. Is there anything I should do differently this time? I mean, when I first got my bp, May, she was on live. So I thawed her mouse in the room for about 4 hours, just on top of her tank (and slightly below her heat lamp) and she ate perfectly! Should I do this for Roe? I'll feed in her tank. Thank you
    Last edited by GpBp; 02-22-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Ok, so tonight is feeding night. I'll feed around 8pm-9pm. Is there anything I should do differently this time? I mean, when I first got my bp, May, she was on live. So I thawed her mouse in the room for about 4 hours, just on top of her tank (and slightly below her heat lamp) and she ate perfectly! Should I do this for Roe? I'll feed in her tank. Thank you
    BCI's are not known to be picky eaters.

Behira is ready the second I walk in the room with a defrosted rat. She is 100% ready to strike and eat! My BP can take a little coaxing, and often doesn't strike, eats by herself, etc.

Behira nails the rat almost immediately, then happily chows down, audience or not.

Roe has had two successful feedings, correct? If so, I would defrost appropriately and completely (room temp/warmish water), then heat up quickly with either a hair dryer or drop into hot tap water (nowhere near boiling) for about 30 seconds. Dry, and offer on tongs. Even my BP responds well to having the rat warmed in hot water for 1/2 minute. Behira probably doesn't care too much, but she isn't complaining either.

Once warm, I shake on the tongs and she comes and grabs it. BCI's, like many colubrids, don't really need to be enticed to eat. She will likely strike quickly. If not, you can leave it in there for a little while and she will probably eat it. One time Behira was more interested in what I was doing and my movement and ignored the rat (though she smelled and knew it was there). I dropped it and it was gone 1/2 hour later.

I do not leave F/T prey in for more than 2 hours. I know my snakes and if they do not eat by then, especially my BP, they are not going to. However, overnight is ok, as long as you do not forget about it!

Also, I never re-freeze f/t rodent. If they don't take it, garbage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    BCI's are not known to be picky eaters.

Behira is ready the second I walk in the room with a defrosted rat. She is 100% ready to strike and eat! My BP can take a little coaxing, and often doesn't strike, eats by herself, etc.

Behira nails the rat almost immediately, then happily chows down, audience or not.

Roe has had two successful feedings, correct? If so, I would defrost appropriately and completely (room temp/warmish water), then heat up quickly with either a hair dryer or drop into hot tap water (nowhere near boiling) for about 30 seconds. Dry, and offer on tongs. Even my BP responds well to having the rat warmed in hot water for 1/2 minute. Behira probably doesn't care too much, but she isn't complaining either.

Once warm, I shake on the tongs and she comes and grabs it. BCI's, like many colubrids, don't really need to be enticed to eat. She will likely strike quickly. If not, you can leave it in there for a little while and she will probably eat it. One time Behira was more interested in what I was doing and my movement and ignored the rat (though she smelled and knew it was there). I dropped it and it was gone 1/2 hour later.

I do not leave F/T prey in for more than 2 hours. I know my snakes and if they do not eat by then, especially my BP, they are not going to. However, overnight is ok, as long as you do not forget about it!

Also, I never re-freeze f/t rodent. If they don't take it, garbage.

It seems like Roe is scared of the mouse. Or she doesn't even notice it... If I offer and Roe is in her hide looking out, she'll usually coil back in and ignore it. It is okay if it's wet when I offer? Because I like the idea of putting it in hot water at the end.

The time Roe ate in her tank, I left it in overnight.
    And I wouldn't ever re-freeze

Here's how I thaw:

I grab a fuzzy from the freezer
    I put it in a small baggy
    I put it in an empty (washed out) pill bottle
    Fill with warm/hot (hot to the touch, but not burning) water and put the lid back on
    Then I get some warm water over the stove (on the lowest setting) and put the pill bottle in the pan. (Does that make sense?)
    After 10ish minutes or when It's thawed completely, I take it out, dry with a paper towel, and offer.

I put the bottle over the warm pan to make sure it keeps thawing. My house is sort-of cold, and I have mice I come to check on after 10 minutes in ice-cold water and solid as a rock. This just works for me
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

It seems like Roe is scared of the mouse. Or she doesn't even notice it... If I offer and Roe is in her hide looking out, she'll usually coil back in and ignore it. It is okay if it's wet when I offer? Because I like the idea of putting it in hot water at the end.

The time Roe ate in her tank, I left it in overnight.
    And I wouldn't ever re-freeze

Here's how I thaw:

I grab a fuzzy from the freezer
    I put it in a small baggy
    I put it in an empty (washed out) pill bottle
    Fill with warm/hot (hot to the touch, but not burning) water and put the lid back on
    Then I get some warm water over the stove (on the lowest setting) and put the pill bottle in the pan. (Does that make sense?)
    After 10ish minutes or when It's thawed completely, I take it out, dry with a paper towel, and offer.

I put the bottle over the warm pan to make sure it keeps thawing. My house is sort-of cold, and I have mice I come to check on after 10 minutes in ice-cold water and solid as a rock. This just works for me

Put in something bigger than a pill bottle.

More water = stays warmer or doesn't get below room temp. I use a bigger chinese food soup container for mice and a bigger tupperware container for rats.

Never use hot water, except at the end. Hot water over time = cooked rodent. That will lead to refusal and is not as good for them to digest.

Defrost in room temp/warmish water for a couple of hours (or more depending on size of prey). I wouldn't even bother re-warming, if you put 80-90F water in. Just let it defrost in the water as the water cools to room temp.

MAKE SURE THE PREY ITEM IS COMPLETELY DEFROSTED! Squeeze it a little. It should feel cool to the touch, but not hard inside, or have cold spots.

Then drop in hot water briefly - 30 seconds or so. Then dry!

Wet isn't terrible, but can pick up substrate and they do not like as much.

Dry off with a paper towel and offer.

Good luck!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-22-2018),GpBp (02-22-2018),tttaylorrr (02-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Heeyyyy I forgot about her progression thread! I should have been posting on here instead of the other thread about her burrowing I'll update you:

4 weeks ago, Roe was eating like a monster! She took every mouse I offered. It was great!
    3 weeks ago, Roe didn't eat. I was worried! She had just shed recently, and it couldn't be that. I was scared!
    2 weeks ago, YAY! Roe ate. But I had to leave it in her tank overnight. (I switched to feeding in tank last week)
    1 week ago, nothing. But... it's okay! She shed! All in one piece too! So I wasn't worried.

I feed her every Thursday. Now she eats on in two days. She hasn't lost any weight (75g). Fingers crossed!

Also, 2-3 weeks ago I did some stuff to her tank. I gave her a smaller hide, covered the sides, gave another lamp with dimmer on the cool side, and added spag moss. I'll get some pics when I get home. Thanks again!
    When you say she took every mouse you offered, does that mean you offered her multiple mice, or are you just saying she hadn't refused a meal yet?

At least she only missed one week of food! It can be scary when you're first experiencing fasts, I got used to them with my 11 year old bp. lol He had bad feeding habits for about 3-4 years, but has been eating every meal since thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I'm guessing you are feeding the snake a mouse every week? That snake looks pretty young. I would stick to 1 mouse every 7-10 days until it's about a year old, then one mouse every 2 weeks.
    They are feeding weekly from what I can tell, but 2 weeks is perfectly acceptable for a young boa, I start all of my boas off at 10-14 days from birth. Once they hit 2 years, I move to 3 weeks, and then to 4-6 weeks as adults.

I do know you also support conservative feeding as well as they age, and I do think 7-10 days acceptable for boas under 1 year, but it is also unnecessary. So long as you space feedings out to 2 weeks when they turn a year, feeding every 7 days is good, but they don't need to eat that often.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    When you say she took every mouse you offered, does that mean you offered her multiple mice, or are you just saying she hadn't refused a meal yet?

At least she only missed one week of food! It can be scary when you're first experiencing fasts, I got used to them with my 11 year old bp. lol He had bad feeding habits for about 3-4 years, but has been eating every meal since thankfully.

They are feeding weekly from what I can tell, but 2 weeks is perfectly acceptable for a young boa, I start all of my boas off at 10-14 days from birth. Once they hit 2 years, I move to 3 weeks, and then to 4-6 weeks as adults.

I do know you also support conservative feeding as well as they age, and I do think 7-10 days acceptable for boas under 1 year, but it is also unnecessary. So long as you space feedings out to 2 weeks when they turn a year, feeding every 7 days is good, but they don't need to eat that often.
    I meant she hadnt refused a meal yet
    It was scary! I really hope she eats tonight!!

Wow! 4-6weeks as adults! I think ill keep feeding once a week now (my mom thinks ill starve her lol!). But once she hits a year ill go to once every two weeks- once every 3 Thank you!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Aaaand nothing. I honestly thought she was going to, because she seemed so interested! But no. After 4 minates of coaxing, she coiled up and forgot about it. I love her so much and I'm honestly really worried. I'm gonna leave the mouse with her tonight

⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Ok. I have the mice tgawing in pill bottles... I'm sorry! I looked and looked for something bigger but I couldn't find anything my mom would let me use so I gave up. I'm kind of stressed out rn, but I promase Ill get something larger by next week. The water is kinda hot because I forgot about the cooler water and stuff, so I won't dip them at the end. By next week ill have everything figured out I promise.

You could put the bottles in a tub of some sort and fill it with warm water. Kinda like a reverse ice cube

Thanks

Aaaand nothing. I honestly thought she was going to, because she seemed so interested! But no. After 4 minates of coaxing, she coiled up and forgot about it. I love her so much and I'm honestly really worried. I'm gonna leave the mouse with her tonight

What is your "caoxing" method?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast