Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

1 members and 3,255 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Frozen food can kill not injure your snake

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    The troll is over fed, everyone... please stop feeding it anymore, live OR f/t...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well played, hahaha.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Frozen food can kill not injure your snake

My first ball python got a bad bite on a medium rat, grabbed a leg instead of the face, she still constricted it, but since she had a poor bite angle, it took longer than usual to suffocate the rat, and the rat had its hind leg free to scratch in desperation at my Snake’s head. Finally the rat died, but my python had a bloody scratch on her head. Luckily my python wasn’t a scaleless morph, but a tough normal and the scratch healed very quickly and the scales were whole again after her next shed.
    A scratch by an adult rat is no big deal, but a good solid bite by adult rat or rabbit teeth could surely kill a snake! My friend’s red tailed Boa was chewed to death by a rat, but this was a case of stupidly leaving the live rat in the cage overnight with no supervision and the Boa wasn’t hungry.
    Bottom line is that frozen or live are both safe as long as the person feeding is not an ignoramus.

Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-30-2017 at 10:57 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    My first ball python got a bad bite on a medium rat, grabbed a leg instead of the face, she still constricted it, but since she had a poor bite angle, it took longer than usual to suffocate the rat, and the rat had its hind leg free to scratch in desperation at my Snake’s head. Finally the rat died, but my python had a bloody scratch on her head. Luckily my python wasn’t a scaleless morph, but a tough normal and the scratch healed very quickly and the scales were whole again after her next shed.
    A scratch by an adult rat is no big deal, but a good solid bite by adult rat or rabbit teeth could surely kill a snake! My friend’s red tailed Boa was chewed to death by a rat, but this was a case of stupidly leaving the live rat in the cage overnight with no supervision and the Boa wasn’t hungry.
    Bottom line is that frozen or live are both safe as long as the person feeding is not an ignoramus.

Sorry, your friend killed that boa constrictor deliberately in my opinion. It was not a case of stupidity, it was an intentional kill. No one can be that stupid to leave a rat overnight with a boa that is not hungry. If there were laws protecting snakes he should be sentenced for that
    Last edited by Dutti; 12-30-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

No, it was an accident. He was not an experienced snake owner and made a fatal mistake. Some people learn things the hard way.

Thanks

Why don't you feed prekilled? Your snake can get fresher food and you don't have to worry about your snakes getting injured by live prey.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Why don't you feed prekilled? Your snake can get fresher food and you don't have to worry about your snakes getting injured by live prey.
    I personally don’t worry that my snake might get injured. Boa is a skilled talented hunter. It’s a joy to watch him hunt and how he is proud of his kill after the hunt smelling it from top to bottom. He uses his energy and power and stay active. And killing a small rat or a mouse is a simple thing to do, but hitting a jumbo rat on the head until it dies is more difficult, takes more time. I prefer that the snake do the job.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I personally don’t worry that my snake might get injured. Boa is a skilled talented hunter. It’s a joy to watch him hunt and how he is proud of his kill after the hunt smelling it from top to bottom. He uses his energy and power and stay active. And killing a small rat or a mouse is a simple thing to do, but hitting a jumbo rat on the head until it dies is more difficult, takes more time. I prefer that the snake do the job.
    Actually the most humane way to kill them is to do cervical dislocation which takes about a second.

And even a skilled hunter can make a mistake or miss.

'A joy to watch him hunt'? It's a snake eating a rat where both are contained in a 4x2 or 6x3 box. Hardly hunting. Thats like being proud you shot a fish in a barrel lol.

And eating a FT or live rat both uses energy and power. Not sure about your boa but mine slam FT rats and rabbits with authority. You want real power, get a retic. They take eating to the next level. Caesar slams his guinea pigs so hard he rattles all the doors in the cage stack. It's actually kind of scary.

And you can enjoy the snake doing 'its job' until it misses and get bit, then you get to do your job of taking it to the vet lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

silverdreams (01-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Actually the most humane way to kill them is to do cervical dislocation which takes about a second.

And even a skilled hunter can make a mistake or miss.

'A joy to watch him hunt'? It's a snake eating a rat where both are contained in a 4x2 or 6x3 box. Hardly hunting. Thats like being proud you shot a fish in a barrel lol.

And eating a FT or live rat both uses energy and power. Not sure about your boa but mine slam FT rats and rabbits with authority. You want real power, get a retic. They take eating to the next level. Caesar slams his guinea pigs so hard he rattles all the doors in the cage stack. It's actually kind of scary.

And you can enjoy the snake doing 'its job' until it misses and get bit, then you get to do your job of taking it to the vet lol.
    This isn't worth our time, he'll just have to learn the hard way

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017),Sauzo (12-31-2017),silverdreams (01-06-2018),zina10 (12-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    He won't learn anything. Period. He isn't here to learn. Or share. Or participate anything worthwhile.

I wonder why people even still bother. I fell for it in the beginning but its like running in a hamster wheel. Or doing the same thing twice, hoping for a different outcome.

The OP starts with some controversy and then keeps it going with utter and complete disregard for any and all good advice or common sense. It literally DOES. NOT. MATTER. how good ones argument, advice, research, etc is. He knows better.

At this point I'm not so sure this isn't simply someone that enjoys the "fall out".

There are so many people on here that need advice and help. It takes time and thought to type out a long and helpful post, that energy is better spent on someone that actually appreciates advice and help, rather then comes back with more goading horse manure such as their snake sniffing its kill all "proud" like.

As its been said. Don't feed the troll.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

15. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017),greco (01-01-2018),jmcrook (12-31-2017),Kira (12-31-2017),MissterDog (12-31-2017),PythonBabes (12-31-2017),Sauzo (12-31-2017),silverdreams (01-06-2018),Sunnieskys (12-31-2017),wolfy-hound (12-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    This isn't worth our time, he'll just have to learn the hard way
    Lol so true. I dont know why i keep replying to him. It's almost as bad as my obsession for keeping snakes
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017),zina10 (12-31-2017)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast