Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,623

4 members and 1,619 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Frozen food can kill not injure your snake

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    You are massively underestimating the power of boa constrictor as being one of the most powerful constrictors in the world by claiming that a rabbit or a jumbo rat kann kill a boa if it isnt grabbed right. No way for a rabbit or a jumbo rat to kill a boa unless you put them against a young small boa, or an underfed boa of course. Want proof how powerful boa is? Put a smell of a rat on your hand and give it to a hungry adult boa. The boa is a hunter by instinct if its allowed by its owner to practice its hunting skills. My 5 foot 19 months old boa easily destroys a jumbo rat. Imagine what he can do when he is 8 or 9 foot. Of course my boa has enough muscles and bones to crush a jumbo rat at this young age, otherwise i would not have fed him a jumbo rat. Also a dazed rat is not more dangerous. a dazed rat is a rat that has at least 50% less power than an awake rat. by the way, the last time my boa ate was 22 days ago, so i,m not overfeeding him
    You are underestimating the damaging power rat and rabbit teeth can do.

Yes boas are great at doing their job but accidents do happen. It only takes one accident and either the rat or rabbit sinking some incisors into the snakes eye or neck/spine and you have a huge vet bill or possible a dead snake.

And here we go with the lack of knowledge on your part. A nice relaxed rat is less likely to be on the defense and this wont react as quick when grabbed by the snake. A dazed rat that come out of it, is going to be one pissed off rat that is on the defensive and ready to bit anything. That is the reason people say if you do feed live, dont dangle a live rat by the tail to the snake as that puts the rat on defense and stresses it. You calmly put the rat in the cage and let it explore so it is calm and not suspecting when the snake grabs it. It hopefully wont have time to react unless of course the snake makes a bad grab.

And you should go check out some of the videos on wild snakes like anacondas and stuff that biologists study in the wild. A lot of them have some serious battle scars on their body and head. I saw one anaconda that had a serious mouth infection and the biologists didnt know if it would actually survive but their job wasnt to treat animals in the wild so they just let it be. Generally an animal in the wild is going to have a better immune system than out lazy captive bred ones who never experience any kind of onslaught by bacteria, viruses etc on a daily basis like its wild cousins do.

You believe what you want man. You seem to think that boas or your boa is a superman that is indestructible but I'm telling you a rabbit or rat CAN seriously injure a snake and/or kill it but most likely not directly. It would come from secondary infection as rabbits and rats and even humans have pretty filthy bacteria ridden mouths. Now like i said, it's not really common but there is that chance. Why take that risk and roll the dice at every feeding whether your snake gets injured and you end up with a huge vet bill. Breeders i can see a reason behind it as some have hundreds of snakes to deal with and trying to thaw out 100 mice and then feed them off would be a job in itself but for a hobbyist that only has 9 snakes, i find it easy to just throw everything in a bucket of warm water and come back in an hour for the small stuff and 2-3 hours for the big stuff and feed knowing dang well i wont possibly have the rush my snake down to my vet on an emergency call. My vet cuts me deals on stuff as i take all my stuff to her but still, it's not $20 for a visit. It still runs me anywhere from $150-$300 depending what I'm having done lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (12-30-2017),C.Marie (12-31-2017),Kira (12-31-2017),MissterDog (12-30-2017),SDA (12-30-2017),silverdreams (01-06-2018),Sonny1318 (12-30-2017),tegu (01-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

My only query about live feeding is that so many say it's the most natural way or it's just like it is in the wild BUT I can't help thinking that a crazy rat is gonna act differently in a confined tub to how it would behave in a more open space ... just me thinking aloud ... Live feeding isn't for me anyways as I simply couldn't bring myself to hurt or harm anything intentionally .. My stomach turns when I stand I on a snail in the dark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    My only query about live feeding is that so many say it's the most natural way or it's just like it is in the wild BUT I can't help thinking that a crazy rat is gonna act differently in a confined tub to how it would behave in a more open space ... just me thinking aloud ... Live feeding isn't for me anyways as I simply couldn't bring myself to hurt or harm anything intentionally .. My stomach turns when I stand I on a snail in the dark

What's your definition of intentional hurt/harm? Regardless of if you feed f/t or live, you're still the rats cause of death.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017),PitOnTheProwl (12-30-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You are underestimating the damaging power rat and rabbit teeth can do.

Yes boas are great at doing their job but accidents do happen. It only takes one accident and either the rat or rabbit sinking some incisors into the snakes eye or neck/spine and you have a huge vet bill or possible a dead snake.

And here we go with the lack of knowledge on your part. A nice relaxed rat is less likely to be on the defense and this wont react as quick when grabbed by the snake. A dazed rat that come out of it, is going to be one pissed off rat that is on the defensive and ready to bit anything. That is the reason people say if you do feed live, dont dangle a live rat by the tail to the snake as that puts the rat on defense and stresses it. You calmly put the rat in the cage and let it explore so it is calm and not suspecting when the snake grabs it. It hopefully wont have time to react unless of course the snake makes a bad grab.

And you should go check out some of the videos on wild snakes like anacondas and stuff that biologists study in the wild. A lot of them have some serious battle scars on their body and head. I saw one anaconda that had a serious mouth infection and the biologists didnt know if it would actually survive but their job wasnt to treat animals in the wild so they just let it be. Generally an animal in the wild is going to have a better immune system than out lazy captive bred ones who never experience any kind of onslaught by bacteria, viruses etc on a daily basis like its wild cousins do.

You believe what you want man. You seem to think that boas or your boa is a superman that is indestructible but I'm telling you a rabbit or rat CAN seriously injure a snake and/or kill it but most likely not directly. It would come from secondary infection as rabbits and rats and even humans have pretty filthy bacteria ridden mouths. Now like i said, it's not really common but there is that chance. Why take that risk and roll the dice at every feeding whether your snake gets injured and you end up with a huge vet bill. Breeders i can see a reason behind it as some have hundreds of snakes to deal with and trying to thaw out 100 mice and then feed them off would be a job in itself but for a hobbyist that only has 9 snakes, i find it easy to just throw everything in a bucket of warm water and come back in an hour for the small stuff and 2-3 hours for the big stuff and feed knowing dang well i wont possibly have the rush my snake down to my vet on an emergency call. My vet cuts me deals on stuff as i take all my stuff to her but still, it's not $20 for a visit. It still runs me anywhere from $150-$300 depending what I'm having done lol.
    What i have wrote came out of my own experience. The boa strikes with an unimaginable speed, so when the rat or rabbit realizes that there is a danger it will be already too late. Either his head is inside the boas mouth or he is so strongly being constricted that he is hardly trying to breath, no power or mind left to think about biting. The worst thing that could happen would be a harmless bite that does not penetrate more than the skin if it ever happened. What happens in the wild is another issue as large constrictors in the wild would attack a very large animals like Crocks or whatever, so injuries are to be excpected. Those injuries did not result in the wild out of small mammals like rats and rabbits rather of Crocks and large mammals. Also dangling the rat in front of the snake is not dangerous. a dazed rat won,t have the chance to come out of it, if you put a dazed rat in front of a hungry snake he will be eaten immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If a reptile will eat frozen thawed it is the responsible thing to do. Live feeding should only be done as a last resort if the reptile refuses frozen thawed. I don't like the game Russian roulette especially with the welfare of my snakes involved. I have been bit but rabbit, guinea pig, hamster, and rat and if I can get an open wound from a fuzzy rodent, my 4 foot ball python sure can as well.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Please stop feeding the troll, everyone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (12-30-2017),C.Marie (12-31-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-30-2017),MissterDog (12-30-2017),Sunnieskys (12-30-2017),zina10 (12-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    What's your definition of intentional hurt/harm? Regardless of if you feed f/t or live, you're still the rats cause of death.
    It's hardly the same - I love baby pigs and I love bacon - it may be my skewed view on things but as long as I don't have to kill the baby pig or see it being slaughtered then I'm ok with it - I'm not killing it with my own hands or having to watch it die is the difference .... can't explain it any better , sadly ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    It's hardly the same - I love baby pigs and I love bacon - it may be my skewed view on things but as long as I don't have to kill the baby pig or see it being slaughtered then I'm ok with it - I'm not killing it with my own hands or having to watch it die is the difference .... can't explain it any better , sadly ..

Ahh, well I'll accept that answer. Flawed logic is better than none, I guess..
    Last edited by PythonBabes; 12-30-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I see the point of view that 99% of the time the Boa will win. However, I like what Sauzo said, “all it takes is one accident...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-30-2017),Sauzo (12-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    And i quote Ted Nugent...'you gotta kill it before you can grill it'. i have no problem with the death or killing of any animal assuming it is for a justified purpose like food. Senseless killing is where i get mad and humans are the only animals that kill for the pure pleasure of killing.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-31-2017)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast