Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

0 members and 2,901 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Frozen food can kill not injure your snake

Quote Originally Posted by xShevi View Post
    I'll tell you, this post made me scared of feeding my expensive snake f/t. Thanks.

Fudging hell.....
    I wouldn,t feed F/T. Even if i did not feed live, i would feed pre killed. The only reasons in my opinion to feed F/T is that you can,t afford to buy live prey, you find it expensive. Or its hard to buy live prey in your area, not available. As i have mentioned before, if you feed F/T its advisable to add vitamins to the prey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I wouldn,t feed F/T. Even if i did not feed live, i would feed pre killed. The only reasons in my opinion to feed F/T is that you can,t afford to buy live prey, you find it expensive. Or its hard to buy live prey in your area, not available. As i have mentioned before, if you feed F/T its advisable to add vitamins to the prey
    Lol dude you're so offensive you probably don't even realize.

I don't feed live because of the health hazards it can bring, I've seen enough pictures of snakes with scratches and bite marks because of a bad coil or grasp.

In here, feeding live is actually less expensive than f/t but I can't bear to watch a mouse or rat being slaughtered and gasping for air as a snake coils harder and harder.

It's good that there's a majority of nice people on this forum that help me by telling signs of bad f/t prey
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Rats can be pretty funky with their scent naturally. They are just foul little critters normally and if they urinated on themselves it can smell pretty skunky. I find them less appealing than mice but maybe that is just me.

I also feed frozen thawed and have for years. The potential of a very expensive bite being a vet trip is just not something I am willing to risk for my snakes. If you can't find frozen thawed then my recommendation is get used to killing your live prey before feeding once you get to a larger size. It is just not worth a bite no matter that reason behind feeding live.
    Luckily I can always find f/t rats and mice. And I don't know, the fuzzies and pinkies I've given smelled far less worse than the mice versions.. But it might just be me as well! Haha

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Umm no...know it all. Live prey is 4.29 or higher if rats. I pay per medium rat 1.80 frozen. #2. The risk of live is the risk I'm not willing to take. C. Not hard to find in my area. #4. I just can't with you anymore. Please stop providing bad advice.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xShevi View Post
    Lol dude you're so offensive you probably don't even realize.

I don't feed live because of the health hazards it can bring, I've seen enough pictures of snakes with scratches and bite marks because of a bad coil or grasp.

In here, feeding live is actually less expensive than f/t but I can't bear to watch a mouse or rat being slaughtered and gasping for air as a snake coils harder and harder.

It's good that there's a majority of nice people on this forum that help me by telling signs of bad f/t preyLuckily I can always find f/t rats and mice. And I don't know, the fuzzies and pinkies I've given smelled far less worse than the mice versions.. But it might just be me as well! Haha
    Yes. I don,t care about your feelings when i type. I speak my mind. If it offends some people, well, there's not much I can do about that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Yes. I don,t care about your feelings when i type. I speak my mind. If it offends some people, well, there's not much I can do about that
    Wow! Just wow! If this isn't the here's your sign I don't know what is.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

xShevi (01-06-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnieskys View Post
    Umm no...know it all. Live prey is 4.29 or higher if rats. I pay per medium rat 1.80 frozen. #2. The risk of live is the risk I'm not willing to take. C. Not hard to find in my area. #4. I just can't with you anymore. Please stop providing bad advice.
    You say no then you confirm what i said that live prey is more expensive! According to you live rat 4.29 or more and frozen rat is 1.80. And i have offered an alternative, a second choice for those who are not willing to to take the risk of live feeding or do not want to see live feeding and that is pre-killed.
    Last edited by Dutti; 01-06-2018 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has now been closed. No need to continue an argument that is only going in circles.

It is perfectly safe to feed frozen/thawed rodents, just make sure they come from a reputable source (and no, you do not need to add any sort of vitamins). There are multiple reasons why f/t can be a better choice than feeding live (and vice versa), but it is up to you as an individual to decide what works best for you and your snakes.
    - Emily

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-06-2018),Godzilla78 (01-06-2018),GpBp (01-17-2018),MissterDog (01-06-2018),SDA (01-06-2018),Starscream (01-06-2018),Sunnieskys (01-06-2018)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456