Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,141

1 members and 1,140 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Pat the baby biak green tree python

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I swear Sauzo, your snakes live better than me! What a lap of luxury!
    We all want our children to have a better life than we had, right?

Nice work Sauzo! That tank looks amazing!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Haha, yeah i do kind of try and spoil my snakes. I've always grown up with the thought of an animal confined in a cage is 100% reliant on it's keeper to provide it with the correct care. If you cant do that, then do the animal a favor and give it to someone who can. It's really hard for me to not overfeed my snakes as I'm the kind of person that also hates to see any animal go hungry. That combined with snakes being opportunistic feeders just makes it even harder for me Anyways, here is Pat bonding with his Prayer Plant leaf lol. I think he thinks 'no one can see me!!' The thing that i dont think Pat knows is Prayer plants will fold their leaves at night which will leave him open haha.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-21-2018 at 12:52 AM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-21-2018),dakski (02-21-2018),Kcl (02-21-2018),Prognathodon (02-21-2018),richardhind1972 (03-02-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Haha, yeah i do kind of try and spoil my snakes. I've always grown up with the thought of an animal confined in a cage is 100% reliant on it's keeper to provide it with the correct care. If you cant do that, then do the animal a favor and give it to someone who can. It's really hard for me to not overfeed my snakes as I'm the kind of person that also hates to see any animal go hungry. That combined with snakes being opportunistic feeders just makes it even harder for me Anyways, here is Pat bonding with his Prayer Plant leaf lol. I think he thinks 'no one can see me!!' The thing that i dont think Pat knows is Prayer plants will fold their leaves at night which will leave him open haha.
    Totally agree! They rely on us for everything. Our job to provide proper environment, food, etc.

It is nice to see people (many on this site) who take that seriously. I know you don’t skimp on care.

My tanks do not look nearly as pretty, however they are clean and have the correct husbandry.

My animals are happy, so I am too.

Is it harder to keep a tank like that clean? I go with paper substrate, plastic hides, etc.

Cleanliness is super important for both the animals and me. I am immune suppressed. I had a kidney transplant. I am not even supposed to garden outside.

I am super envious. I used to keep cichlids (fish) and had display tanks.

It would be cool to have a display tank for reptiles too. However, not in the cards.

Again, awesome work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Totally agree! They rely on us for everything. Our job to provide proper environment, food, etc.

It is nice to see people (many on this site) who take that seriously. I know you don’t skimp on care.

My tanks do not look nearly as pretty, however they are clean and have the correct husbandry.

My animals are happy, so I am too.

Is it harder to keep a tank like that clean? I go with paper substrate, plastic hides, etc.

Cleanliness is super important for both the animals and me. I am immune suppressed. I had a kidney transplant. I am not even supposed to garden outside.

I am super envious. I used to keep cichlids (fish) and had display tanks.

It would be cool to have a display tank for reptiles too. However, not in the cards.

Again, awesome work!
    Thanks. Well this is the only 'display' cage i got. The other snakes destroy anything nice i give them lol. They get 1-2 hides and a water bowl haha. I gave Caesar a 6 foot vine along the back wall of his cage when he was a baby and he got stuck in it and i had to cut it off him. That was our first bonding time.

As for taking more time to clean, not really as Pat is pretty clean and seems to come down on the floor and poop and piss and then go back up. I have found 1 piece on a plant leaf ever. i just use paper towels for his floor. Makes it easy to just roll up and toss out and lay down fresh paper towels. Also makes it easier to keep humidity up as i just mist the paper towel and the real plant's soil and it keeps humidity plenty and then once it dries out, i just re mist. I dont mist Pat or the perches anymore. I did when i first got him but he honestly doesnt seem to like to be sprayed with water really.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-21-2018 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks

Thanks. Well this is the only 'display' cage i got. The other snakes destroy anything nice i give them lol. They get 1-2 hides and a water bowl haha. I gave Caesar a 6 foot vine along the back wall of his cage when he was a baby and he got stuck in it and i had to cut it off him. That was our first bonding time.

As for taking more time to clean, not really as Pat is pretty clean and seems to come down on the floor and poop and piss and then go back up. I have found 1 piece on a plant leaf ever. i just use paper towels for his floor. Makes it easy to just roll up and toss out and lay down fresh paper towels. Also makes it easier to keep humidity up as i just mist the paper towel and the real plant's soil and it keeps humidity plenty and then once it dries out, i just re mist. I dont mist Pat or the perches anymore. I did when i first got him but he honestly doesnt seem to like to be sprayed with water really.
    Pretty cool that Pat comes down from his perch to use the toilet!

I totally understand the advantage of keeping enclosures basic and not display tanks. For all the reasons I mentioned, as well as the destruction factor! Caesar seems to get himself in a lot of trouble, huh? Vines, stuck teeth, etc.

My BP, Shayna, likes to climb, and hide, etc. but is not good at the climbing and does just fine with plastic hides. My RHP's in the new 6X2X1 boaphile tanks are covered with plastic on the sides, so the snakes cannot climb on them.

In Shayna's first enclosure (after she outgrew the ten gallon), a 4X2X2', I installed the RHP myself. No way she could get on that thing, she's too big! Well, she managed to get stuck/wrapped around the RHP (which of course was on a thermostat and not too hot) and in between the bolts/screws! That was a fun bonding moment for us too, unbolting the RHP to get her down. She is sooooooo tame though. She just sat and watched me. I learned my lesson quick. So, I sealed the holes between the bolts and, for a short period, before she got too big, she would climb up and wrap around the whole thing. I would randomly hear "thump" in the night when she feel a few inches down.

Anyway, most snakes do not exactly respect their environment. They will waste on everything, wrap anything, pull anything, and escape from anything, if possible! Plus, the bigger they are, the more damage they are capable of! A snake that can eat a rabbit can probably destroy anything we put in there, even if they weren't trying.

I will give my Leopard Geckos credit, they always poop in the same spot (well, 99% of the time). Very easy to clean their tanks! Also a big poop from them is penny sized! Frank, the BTS, usually goes on the hot side of his tank, but often and there is a lot. So, no bonus there.

Thanks for showing off your display tank Sauzo, and for being honest about not having all the tanks looking that cool!

I think sometimes people forget we care how the tanks look more than the reptiles most of the time.

A reptile checklist is pretty simple:

1. Heat (and proper temps)?
    2. Humidity correct?
    3. Hides (am I safe)?
    4. Correct food?
    5. Clean?

I don't think good looking enclosure is on there!
    Last edited by dakski; 02-21-2018 at 02:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Pretty cool that Pat comes down from his perch to use the toilet!

I totally understand the advantage of keeping enclosures basic and not display tanks. For all the reasons I mentioned, as well as the destruction factor! Caesar seems to get himself in a lot of trouble, huh? Vines, stuck teeth, etc.

My BP, Shayna, likes to climb, and hide, etc. but is not good at the climbing and does just fine with plastic hides. My RHP's in the new 6X2X1 boaphile tanks are covered with plastic on the sides, so the snakes cannot climb on them.

In Shayna's first enclosure (after she outgrew the ten gallon), a 4X2X2', I installed the RHP myself. No way she could get on that thing, she's too big! Well, she managed to get stuck/wrapped around the RHP (which of course was on a thermostat and not too hot) and in between the bolts/screws! That was a fun bonding moment for us too, unbolting the RHP to get her down. She is sooooooo tame though. She just sat and watched me. I learned my lesson quick. So, I sealed the holes between the bolts and, for a short period, before she got too big, she would climb up and wrap around the whole thing. I would randomly hear "thump" in the night when she feel a few inches down.

Anyway, most snakes do not exactly respect their environment. They will waste on everything, wrap anything, pull anything, and escape from anything, if possible! Plus, the bigger they are, the more damage they are capable of! A snake that can eat a rabbit can probably destroy anything we put in there, even if they weren't trying.

I will give my Leopard Geckos credit, they always poop in the same spot (well, 99% of the time). Very easy to clean their tanks! Also a big poop from them is penny sized! Frank, the BTS, usually goes on the hot side of his tank, but often and there is a lot. So, no bonus there.

Thanks for showing off your display tank Sauzo, and for being honest about not having all the tanks looking that cool!

I think sometimes people forget we care how the tanks look more than the reptiles most of the time.

A reptile checklist is pretty simple:

1. Heat (and proper temps)?
    2. Humidity correct?
    3. Hides (am I safe)?
    4. Correct food?
    5. Clean?

I don't think good looking enclosure is on there!
    Haha yeah Caesar is by far the biggest trouble maker of the bunch. Ironically, the second one is probably Dottie my pied BP. She likes to sit on her shelf but sometimes she falls off and i hear the thud too. A few times she fell in her water dish so you hear a half thud/splash which is real fun as water splashes all over the front of the sliding doors. The boas are actually pretty good for the most part but yeah, them and the other snakes will bulldoze anything neat you put in the cage.

And yeah, i usually dont do the whole display cages as i believe in the checklist too. Plus keeping it simple makes cleaning and spotting problems a lot easier. Pat is different but it still is fairly simple. I dont use a substrate for the flooring for the the simple reason of paper towels is easier to spot poops and piss. I might switch him to something like Reptichips when he moves to his PVC cage as his poops and pisses will be a lot bigger and easier to spot but right now, a big poop for him is the size of an adult rat dropping.

Another reason for the paper towels was i wanted to make sure Pat was regular on pooping as the biggest issue with baby GTPs is prolapse. It's been about 2 months now and he is stuffing food in the toothy end and producing chocolate out the skinny end so everything seems to be going as normal.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-21-2018),Kcl (02-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Have you noticed they like it cooler? I started about 86 and now am down to 84 for the day and around 81 at night and that seems to make things much better. What's pat's temps at and are you noticing cooler makes them happier?

If you do ever get the dreaded prolapse and need reassurance just ask, I am now the prolapse queen I doubt you are going to suffer that as you have a great eater and drinker.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Have you noticed they like it cooler? I started about 86 and now am down to 84 for the day and around 81 at night and that seems to make things much better. What's pat's temps at and are you noticing cooler makes them happier?

If you do ever get the dreaded prolapse and need reassurance just ask, I am now the prolapse queen I doubt you are going to suffer that as you have a great eater and drinker.
    I give Pat a hot spot of 86F on the top perch in the back right corner. Then the temps extend all the way down anywhere from 77-79F. Pat seems fairly happy. He moves around during the course of the day. Lat night he was sitting on the middle of top perch. Then this morning, he was directly under the heater for the day and recently he moved back to the top of his plant on the left side. I go through all that work to re do his perches and he still goes back to that plant!! I swear, he loves that thing. I wonder what he is going to do when he outgrows being able to sit on top of it lol.

And honestly, for the temps, i just keep the small CHE like i said, i the back right corner and the rest of the cage is room temp. The CHE is only a 40 watt nano so it doesnt put out that much heat. I personally wouldnt heat them up too much especially babies as they can dehydrate pretty quick. Warmer it is, the faster they dehydrate plus you add in food digestion.

Anyways, here's Pat on top of his plant again!! After all that work i put into using the dremel to get his perches perfect. Little booger!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-21-2018),Kcl (02-22-2018)

Thanks

I go through all that work to re do his perches and he still goes back to that plant!! I swear, he loves that thing. I wonder what he is going to do when he outgrows being able to sit on top of it lol.
    Based on what happened when my Bredli outgrew her favorite perch, you’re going to have a whole ‘lotta sulking going on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Based on what happened when my Bredli outgrew her favorite perch, you’re going to have a whole ‘lotta sulking going on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Haha i hope not. He does love his plant but i catch him perching all over the place at night and during the day. Right now, he is coiled up around the back perch on the left side. He was watching me replace his paper towels. Just saw his little face peek from around a plant as he watched me lol.

Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast