Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,402

2 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

new to the dragon

hey guys whats up ir ealy realy realy want a bearded dragon son bad. i think there just facinating. ive been doing some reading and there not telling me much. so i decided to go to you guys. could you guys give me an idea on what i should pout inside his cage. i kno i need a basking lamp. im going to use the same beeding that i use 4 my python because its mainly usued 4 bearded dragons but it can be used for snakes. but anyway back on i think i need like 2 hides 1 on each side of the tank like a snake how big? ive read that they dont drink from a water bowl an ur sapose to spray them with water. how many times a week would u do that? every day? and another thing i know they need branches and stuff to climb on n a thermometer to regulate the temps. so any information you guys could help me with would be awsome. thanks

Thanks

Re: new to the dragon

What are you using for bedding for your snakes? If you get a beardie under 10 inches, then using newspaper or paper towel is the best thing to use. Calci sand is a NO NO...for a beardie of any size. It is NOT digestable, as they claim, and can cause serious impactions. I use Yesterdays News litter as substrate for my 5 beardies. Or you can use childrens play sand for a beardie over 10 inches.

But you have a good start for cage items. Branches and rocks are good for climbing. You do need a basking light, which can be a regular household light bulb. You also need a UVB light as well. The ReptiSun 10.0 is the best UVB light on the market right now, besides the new mercury vapor bulbs. The MV bulbs are pretty expensive. (the reptisun is on sale right now at reptilesupply.com)

You will need a digital thermometer to monitor temps. A stick on is very inacurate, and should be avoided. 80-85°F for the cool side...and a basking spot of 100-105°F for a basking spot.

A baby dragon will need to be misted 2-3 times a day...while an adult can be misted once every couple days, or put in the bath tub to swim for a while a couple times a week. Water dishes are unnecessary, as it will raise the humidity in the enclosure.

And be prepared to be eaten out of house and home if you get a baby. They need to be fed at least 3 times a day while they are young. You can do crickets, as long as you get them from a reputable supplier, and keep them clean. They are notorious for carrying Coccidia and other nasties. Silk worms are the best beardie food...but they are expensive. Meal worms are not very good, as thier exoskeleton contains high amounts of chitin, which also causes impaction.

lol...did I confuse you enough? If you have any more questions...feel free to ask!
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

Thanks

ok the cricket thing sounds a little difficult well not realy jsut a lot of hastle . u gotta check the cricks n dust em with vitamin powder or sumtin i just read on sum page. how much are meal worms and how many of them come in a pack or how do they come when you buy them. man after i buy my sister her hamster for her birthday n get my car strighten out im definitly gunna b a bearded dragon. i can already tell it wont cost me half as much as i paid for all the stuff 4 my snake. oh by the way i use this stuff calld desert blend. its just crushed walnut shells very fine and smooth perfectly harm less

Thanks

No no no!!! Walnut shells are BAD for dragons. Also cause impactions! And I hope you don't feed your snakes on that stuff...cuz it can impact them too!

And no on meal worms...silk worms. Your best bet would be to find a dragon that has been raised on pellets. Pellets and greens and veggies make the healthiest dragons.

If you are willing to wait until the end of November/beginning of december, I have 19 eggs incubating right now. I plan on keeping them totally bug free. And yes, they do need calcium, and vitamin suppliments, that you can sprinkle right on their pellets/salad.
    Franni

1.0 BP, T'gai
    0.1 Bearded Dragon, Kirk
    1.0 Sugar Glider, Sweet Baby James
    0.2 Cats, Lucy & Luna
    1.0 Demon Dog, Max
    0.1 GF, Kim

Thanks

which do you think is better to feed silk worms or crickets? at the petshop around my house they have these littel boxes with a lot of crickets in there for a reasonable price. if i was to get a mid adult a little larger than a baby how often would i have to feed him/her daily? and when i feed him/her crickets how do i put that powder stuff on thep cuz usualy they just jump around like crazy sounds like its a little difficult