Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

3 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can't decide wihch Python for now

Hey there,
    I've always wanted an albino Python, I really love the white and yellow pattern.
    My neighbor sell both baby albino Ball Python and baby albino Burmese.
    Which one should I buy?

Now some info about me-
    - I've got 3 snakes so far- female Dumerills boa \ male Corn snake \ female Ball Python.
    - My dream always was to get Burmese \ Constricting.
    - I'm 21 years old planing on go study overseas Veterinary Science at October 2019. As for now my brother can't tell me if he could take care of a massive Burmese Python or not, he doesn't know what hell do next year.

I thought if ill decide to buy the Ball Python I could bread them someday before I leave for the Vet study in 2 years and if ill decide to buy the Burmese ill see if my brother can help me when the time comes or sell her.
    Hope you guys understood me and can help me with your opinions etc'
    Last edited by doronxl7; 12-27-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks
    Well if its your dream to have a burmese then I would wait, that way when you move you dont have to sell your dream pet if he cant take care of it, ball pythons are a lot smaller and easier for someone to take care of (if thats whats gunna happen, him watching them when your gone)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Common sense will tell you that you do not buy an animal or more than one with the intent on breeding (which you do not have the time for anyway) before leaving and moving overseas, your animals and your choices should not burden others, be happy with what you have, that's already enough.

When you move overseas you do not know if you will come back home sometimes the unexpected happens. (been there done that)
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-27-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (12-28-2017),Craiga 01453 (12-27-2017),Godzilla78 (12-27-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I agree with Deborah. No sense bringing animals home that you can't care for throughout their life span. If you want the snake so badly now, you'll still want it in a few years once your living situation is more stable. You're still young, plenty of time to add animals when the time is right for both you and the animal.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    The difference in size between a ball python and burmese is huge! Are you willing to take on a full sized burmese? Not only is caging a concern but acquiring food and being able to handle the weight and strength is another. I know personally 8 feet is my limit in what I would ever handle in size and no more than 50 pounds. Anything more and it would not be something I could give the proper care for physically.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    As others have already said, it would be best to not get any other snakes at this point in your life and especially not a Burmese. You already know that you aren't even going to be able to care for the one you already have...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    You should get 5 Burmese pythons and leave them for your brother to care for, even though burmese get massive and can rip your arm apart in an attack.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-27-2017 at 01:43 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (12-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Like everyone has already said, best you don't get ANY new animals right now!! For all the reasons that have been given.

Now, if you are just going to disregard this advice because you want one no matter what, at least don't get a Burmese !!! That is NOT an animal you give to someone that doesn't know snakes.

They can have a HUGE feeding response and if your not good at reading their body language, it can get painful, or even dangerous. And what about the snake ? If someone is intimidated by it, how good of care will that animal receive you think? How clean will the enclosure be?

Stuff can happen to anyone, at any time. There are no guarantees in life. Even people that plan on keeping animals for their life sometimes have to give them away / sell them. But with you, there are no "maybes" you already KNOW you will be leaving.

If you want an albino Ball Python so bad, make sure there will be someone knowledgeable ready and willing to take this snake and your other animals when you leave. If you get one, enjoy it. Forget about breeding. 2 years is just enough time to safely grow them to adult size.

And the Burmese? Don't think its all that easy to sell one. Especially since it will be YOUR responsibility to make sure it ends up in a home where it will be safe and the owners are safe from it and know what they are doing. Its cruel to get an animal if you already know you just want to enjoy it for a couple of years and then get rid of it.

Ultimately, its up to you. But...just do the right thing.
    Last edited by zina10; 01-03-2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-03-2018)

Thanks
    I'm sure you are going to do just what you want to do. However if you really love animals you will put what's best for them first. If you become a veterinarian do you think you will have the right to tell someone how to be responsible with there pets if you make bad choices yourself. Your brother says he wants nothing to do with it. So why push this on him. The snake will suffer, and so will your brother. Just care for what you have, after you are finished with school buy whatever you want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-03-2018)