Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

1 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Mice Feeder Setup

I am curious what is everyone's setup? Do you separate the female pregnant mice from the male mouse? Currently, I have two bins with 3 females and just so happens one male rotating for now because the other male didn't impregnate the new colony. I was thinking of separating the males from the new litter and add them to new colonies of females. I read some people have birthing tubs. Is it better just to move the extra females and males into a new tub for a new colony? I'm trying to plan ahead to grow the business size before I over my head in running it.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People have birthing tubs for rats not mice, for mice you keep the female at all time and you can either do harem style or rotate the male.

I do both, depends on the time of the year and my need, right now the needs are low so I have 5 tubs harem style and harvest pinkies, when I am in full swing swing I have 35 tubs (5 kept harem style for pinkies) and for the rest I rotate males each male rotates between 2 tubs spending 3 weeks in each at the time and I keep as low as 2 female per tubs or as high as 4 again depends on the needs.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-26-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Mice Feeder Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    People have birthing tubs for rats not mice, for mice you keep the female at all time and you can either do harem style or rotate the male.

I do both, depends on the time of the year and my need, right now the needs are low so I have 5 tubs harem style and harvest pinkies, when I am in full swing swing I have 35 tubs (5 kept harem style for pinkies) and for the rest I rotate males each male rotates between 2 tubs spending 3 weeks in each at the time and I keep as low as 2 female per tubs or as high as 4 again depends on the needs.
    So far I been getting much higher demand than I have the capacity. How big of tubs do you use? I have 20 gal and 10 gal of which I keep 3 females each. In the 20 gal I have 5 females that are reaching maturity in 2-3 weeks. Also have these huge 30 gal (116 quarter) tubs. Since 20 gal is double the size would 8 females be fine? Maybe I'll have double-decker homes for them.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-26-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

Re: Mice Feeder Setup

Actually it maybe 56 gal, it's huge and probably can fit a small Xmas tree.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have this https://www.freedombreeder.com/product/rodent-1050

Well minus 3 levels that I switched for 2 levels of rat birthing tubs.
    Deborah Stewart