Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,245

0 members and 2,245 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Okay guys, it's that time... Advice?

Dewey's cage really needs a good thorough cleaning. Like a complete cleaning. I've noticed that it's been awhile since he's home and that I should really clean it, I'm about a month behind....andddd kind of embarrassed that I haven't been sure enough of what to do to get it done.

Does anyone want to give me a walk through of how I should go about it? The water bowls, decorations, and the tank itself? Maybe tips or how you yourself do it? Anything specific I need? It'd be a great help, since I don't want to use anything harmful to him or do something wrong and not have a good clean.

Thanks a bunch everyone!
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-26-2017),SDA (12-26-2017)

Thanks

Re: Okay guys, it's that time... Advice?

I've started using this stuff myself, but only for full, thorough cleaning as you have to let it sit and soak to clean and disinfect properly. Isn't what you would spray on and wipe right off.

Basically last cleaning, took everything out, substrate, water bowls and hides(also all tubs for me). Sprayed em and let them soak for about 15 minutes, rinsed clean etc. New substrate, refill water bowls and hides back in. Done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oodaT For This Useful Post:

GiddyGoat (12-26-2017),SDA (12-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Good topic. I reminds me of the proper method of a good thorough cleaning. I haven’t done one in a awhile either. I think I will do one soon if the whole rack and tubs, now that I am switching substrates soon.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

GiddyGoat (12-26-2017),SDA (12-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Most of my decor is artificial so it can be popped in the dishwasher and be cleaned that way. I use F10 products as well for the walls of the enclosure and my water bowls are all white ceramic baking bowls that can be sanitized in the dishwasher. The wood I have either gets spot cleaned with F10 and left to dry or gets a bake in the oven to sanitize. Anything really damaged or soiled that can't be dumped in the dishwasher or baked in the oven gets tossed. Thankfully over the years I have removed almost everything that can't be washed or baked.

This reminds me it's about time for a cleaning of my BP's pvc cage. I just cleaned my rosy boa's cage last week using F10 and the dishwasher.

A few items I have on hand for cleaning are spare tweezers for picking up waste, tooth brushes for scrubbing spots, paper towels, spray bottles filled with diluted F10sc, and a fan to air out the enclosure after cleaning. It's amazing how these snakes can drop waste in the most hidden of places!
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

I have used this for many years.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

Thanks

I know Listerine has great antibiotic properties, but you'd need to rinse well. Do you dilute it or use it full strength?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I don't use anything that leaves a strong smell or fumes behind. Even if supposedly "safe".

In a small space such as a tank or tub those fumes can really concentrate after a while and not healthy to breathe that in..

I hardly ever do a "all over" clean. Simply because I'm SOOOO very picky about cleaning thoroughly when I "spot" clean. I use Reptile Prime, which soaks the mess up really good and keeps the mess somewhat contained. Also very easy to see WHAT is soiled, and what isn't.

I take hides and water dish out and then scoop the entire mess and a bit of substrate all around it out. Then I wipe that area with paper towels that I sprayed with F-10. A quick rub over the areas with a dry paper towel, move the clean substrate back, done !! If the hides have a mess stuck to them I clean them the same way.

There simply is no need to do a deep clean very often that way.

If I were to do that, I would do the same, after removing old substrate and putting fresh one in after the cleaning.

F-10 is the best imho. No strong smell, powerful, safe if used correctly.

Now...if I had to SANITIZE because of illnesses or quarantine, I would use the F-10 and let it soak. In those cases I would use paper towels, though, so a daily sanitizing could be done.

F-10 is also the cheapest imho. A tiny bottle of the concentrate will last me for many years. You need SO little to make up a bottle.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B.P.'s 4me View Post
    I know Listerine has great antibiotic properties, but you'd need to rinse well. Do you dilute it or use it full strength?
    I use it full strength. I know some people that use it at a 50/50 strength. As cheap as it is especially the knock off brands I don't dilute. Yes I rinse after wiping everything down with the stuff but I don't rinse for any extra length of time. Chlorox, Hydrogen Peroxide, and Listerine are the items I have used for years. I have nothing against F10, never used the stuff. It's SDS shows it is 100% safe when mixed/used as directed. I just like the convience of using items that can easily be obtained at a grocery store.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use paper towel, water and elbow grease to clean my reptiles enclosures. I have actually spent an entire day just scrubbing out 4 reptile pens but it saves using chemicals that I don't know are safe to use. Its also a good way to be extremely confident as to exactly what each reptile prefers to do.

I found spending the time scrubbing helps give me clues as to what my reptiles prefer. I picked up on enough clues partly from cleaning that I ended up managing to train two of my tortoises to respond to verbal commands - one will come running if I say pak choi and rip it out of the hand holding the pak choi.

Thanks

The disinfecting ingredient in Listerine is called Chlorhexidine, and is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and safe for reptiles. I bought some on Amazon, diluted it according to the directions, and let it soak for 15-30 minutes. When I deep clean the tank, not just spot clean, I remove all the hides and decor, remove the bedding, wash everything with soap and water, rinse very very well, spray with chlorhexidine and let it sit, then rinse really well again before putting in new bedding and putting his hides and stuff back. F10 is similar to chlorhexidine, and both can probably be bought online.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by elleon; 12-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast