Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,765

1 members and 2,764 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Chaining dogs 24/7!

my landlady and neighbor, keeps a white husky on a chain in her yard 24/7. I have NEVER, NEVER seen the dog off the chain, and I have lived here for 6 months. It is so sad to me. Huskies were BRED FOR RUNNING, and this poor excuse for a dog-owner doesn't even walk the dog! She has a doghouse, plenty of food and water, and fairly long chain, but the poor thing never gets any exercise. A big husky that can't walk or run... so horrible to me. Borderline animal abuse.

Well, being Christmas, and I am alone, I get my kids tomorrow as they are at their mom's house today. I just texted the Husky owner and asked her very politely if I could take Xena for a walk, that I would tie the leash to my wrist and make sure she is safe and secure. I know she is home, she is ignoring me so far. it really ticks me off, she should just give the dog up or sell it, if she doesn't want to care for it properly. So many dog-owners are terrible, and shouldn't even have dogs in my opinion. They are a lot of work and responsibillty, and that is why I do not own one myself.

Anyway, I hope she at least lets me take her for a walk today, but being it has been ˝ hour and she hasn't responded, I am not getting my hopes up.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-25-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    I am glad I finally got the guts to just confront her and ask politely if I could walk the dog. At least I tried. Got it off my chest.

Thanks

Re: Chaining dogs 24/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I am glad I finally got the guts to just confront her and ask politely if I could walk the dog. At least I tried. Got it off my chest.
    Its illegal in my county to have a dog on a chain for longer than 2 hours. They can be in a crate as long as they have room to turn and stand fully comfortably but not chained unless its a tie that attaches to an over head line that allows free movement and doesnt 'risk' entanglement.

My previous neighbors (before i moved) had two expensive blue tick hounds that they kept tied. One bullied the other and the bullied one hung herself on her chain and suffocated while trying to escape the bully. Sadly none of my household were home to even jump the fence to try to help as we had done before. They came home to a dead dog and didnt care, i dont know what they did to the body but they had her replaced within three days.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Potatoren For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-25-2017)

Thanks
    Awe, that's pretty sad. My game bred APBT spends a lot of her time on a secure chain, but she also has toys, a huge chainspot, and a heated dog house(it barely even snows where I live though). She still goes for runs and hikes with me frequently, but the chain is for her safety as she's dog aggressive and fully capable of hurting other dogs and some of my neighbor's let their dogs roam. And she's way too wild for in the house, even after a long run.

Some dogs can do well on chains, some do horrible. I don't agree on anti chaining laws, but the dog should still get off of it sometimes and get more exercise.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-26-2017),wolfy-hound (12-25-2017)

Thanks

Chaining dogs 24/7!

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    Awe, that's pretty sad. My game bred APBT spends a lot of her time on a secure chain, but she also has toys, a huge chainspot, and a heated dog house(it barely even snows where I live though). She still goes for runs and hikes with me frequently, but the chain is for her safety as she's dog aggressive and fully capable of hurting other dogs and some of my neighbor's let their dogs roam. And she's way too wild for in the house, even after a long run.

Some dogs can do well on chains, some do horrible. I don't agree on anti chaining laws, but the dog should still get off of it sometimes and get more exercise.
    I don’t have a problem with the chain, as I said the dog is cared for, but I have a problem with is being chained 24/7 and NEVER walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 12-25-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Nothing borderline about it. It IS animal abuse!!!

24/7 on the chain? Cruel.

Dogs are pack animals. They are social animals.

It is psychologically crippling to live that way. It is a shame. It is no life.

Unfortunately in many places it is not against the law, as long as there is shelter, food and water.

Who cares about the mental health
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Nothing borderline about it. It IS animal abuse!!!

24/7 on the chain? Cruel.

Dogs are pack animals. They are social animals.

It is psychologically crippling to live that way. It is a shame. It is no life.

Unfortunately in many places it is not against the law, as long as there is shelter, food and water.

Who cares about the mental health
    She doesn’t even have the decency to respond to my text and she is my neighbor AND landlord! It’s been hours since I asked to walk the dog. How hard is it to say, “I don’t feel comfortable with it, thanks anyway.”???
    Some people just ... ugh, I’m going to let it go.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    She doesn’t even have the decency to respond to my text and she is my neighbor AND landlord! It’s been hours since I asked to walk the dog. How hard is it to say, “I don’t feel comfortable with it, thanks anyway.”???
    Some people just ... ugh, I’m going to let it go.

She probably knows its wrong and cruel. And rather not think about it or face it.

I would let it go, too, though. As long as its not against the law, what can you do. You offered. She ignores.
    You also don't want to get into a potentially awkward/uncomfortable position with your landlord.

Besides, if the dog gets a taste of "freedom" and actual mental stimulation, who knows what it will do to it at this point. Putting it back on the chain afterward may set it off on howling, digging and carrying on. This would only work if it would be a ongoing thing.

I would have a hard time seeing this day in and day out, too.. But it may be in your and the dogs best interest to let this go, unless that owner would have been grateful and happy to have someone spend time with that dog.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupČry

Thanks

Right. She will have to communicate with me eventually. Either she will think about it and maybe accept my offer, or she will ignore it ever happened. (More likely)

Thanks

My text:
    “Sorry to disturb you in a holiday. Hope you are having a merry Christmas!
    Would it be ok if I take —— for a walk? If you have a leash, I could tie it to my wrist and make sure she’s secure. if your not comfortable with it, I totally understand.”

Her response, 10 hours later:
    “Yes very busy this a.m. My daughter has anxiety issues over her dog being gone without her. It is ok for the girls to come over and play with her though. Hope you have a very Merry CHRISTmas!”

Her daughter NEVER spends any time with the Husky, so this doesn’t make any sense to me. I didn’t even know the dog was her daughters. I am so disgusted with this dog-owner, but noting I can do. I’m going to persist in asking to walk the dog every once in awhile... at least I planted a thought in their heads possibly, that the dog MIGHT want to go for a walk sometimes, while they leave it chained out alone all day and night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast