Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

2 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Unhappy housing advice - she broke her lid

hey all, sorry i haven't been around, busy finishing up a manuscript so writing is taking up much of my time. That and my darn angelfish decided to spawn so I have 100 baby angels I'm caring for.

so my ball python is adult- she was the one that had retained eyecaps, my original reason for joining the forums to learn how to help her, those are clear and great now. We've had multiple molts since then with no issues horray.

Ive been housing her in a 40gal glass tank, she has her water, aspen bedding, a couple hides and seems content. Sometime last night or early this morning she decided she needed some adventure. She forced the back half of the lid open, somehow breaking the glass which allowed her to lift a side and slip away! OMG! I didn't realize they were that strong!?!?!

I know where she is located, shes snuggled happily behind the working parts of an antique radio I am currently trying to figure out how to dismantle to get to her. But I need to know what to do to provide her with a tank that wont lead to escape and her having to face the 5 cats that are anxious for her to gain her freedom.

Any advice on a visually pleasing cage that would work for her is appreciated. What are some of your'alls favorites? What have you found to work best to avoid runaways? Glass obviously aint gonna work out for her, I'm going to convert that into an angelfish tank hahaha go figure.

thanks in advance all. I appreciate the help

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: housing advice - she broke her lid

PVC cages are considered the best for viewing purposes and they hold humidity and temps amazingly. 4x2 is usually a great size and lots of people use the T8 from animal plastics as this is the perfect size for a wide variety of reptiles.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallPythonWannaBe For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (11-12-2018),Timelugia (12-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You can get a pvc enclosure and be done with issues or get a tub and make sure the temps stay correct. Most tubs need additional restraints like luggage straps but some are secure enough to keep an adult contained.

Personally I would go with a PVC cage since you have 5 cats which is a threat to an escaped ball python.

http://www.apcages.com and model number is T8 or T10
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Red face

thank you so much! I'm gonna get on that! like today! I spent so much time nursing her back from neglect from the breeder and petsmart, i cant imagine loosing her. And my cats are all about snake! PVC it is. I just want her to be safe and happy. thanks again

Thanks
    oooh, i just googled them. Those are perfect! <3 Is a hinged door better than a slider, i see they have locks for both?? For her current lid i was using those toddler locks that keep them from opening toilet lids hahaha. they worked great!

Any added features that would be a plus? My anniversary was yesterday so I can probably talk the hubby into a nice new setup for Mrs. Snake lol

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Also they have locks for the swing doors and sliding doors
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

I use a glass tank with a plastic aquarium lid that has a latch on it, and so far I haven't had any problems with it. (pics attached)

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    You can also get one of the true and tried Neodesha cages. I LOVE them for display.
    They have a tall slanted front and the entire front is glass, so you see all of the inside. Made of ABS plastic, so no worries about any PVC issues. Can be bleached and sanitized, super easy to keep clean. No "seams" to glue or worry about. Price is great and no "long wait" like you can run into with some companies.

My favorite thing about them is the visibility, while providing the reptile safety they crave.

Check it out at http://www.npicages.com/

Its the Standard 36 or 48 inch cage

Here are some pictures of my 36 inch all set up. I'm considering upgrading to a 4 foot, though, because my male is a very big Ball Python and keeps on growing

Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Would the T8 be too big for a corn snake. I have one of those little stinkers as well, I don't want to get him something too big?? Is that possible??

@Zina - that set up is gorgeous <3 I love that slanted glass at the front. What a great view

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Corn snakes love ( and use ) any extra space ... as long as it's not a tiny hatchling that may be able to squeeze out under the lid ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro