Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,008

0 members and 3,008 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    That has been my thought exactly! I will be giving him the Panacur orally, not injections. The vet told me to bring in a fecal sample next time he goes...

For the Ball Python, he brought in a vitamins/Gentocin antibiotic injection and showed me how to give the injections. He sent me home with 6 more injections and I will have to inject her once every 3 days for the next 18 days... I'm not looking forward to having to do that, but I have no choice, but to put my big boy panties on, man up and do it! As mentioned in Dexter's thread, I will have to administer his medicine orally, So, on the bright side, I will be gaining some really good experience treating these two...
    Oh yeah i figured orally for the Panacur. Was more referring to the BP. Lol yeah, its definitely an experience. Good luck man.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    He could have gotten parasites from live feeders, that is definitely not unheard of...

Protozoans are another possibility, but those are usually found in imports/wildcaughts or reptiles from dealers that house imports/wildcaughts. However, back when I did rescue these infections were found in a few of them.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Flag...estinal-Tract/

They are treated with different medication then internal parasites.

Be careful not to crank the heat up to much on them, they usually get quite unhappy and cranky when to warm. Try to get the temps perfect and then raise a couple degrees..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-19-2018)

Thanks
    The only live feeder i've ever given him was his very last feeding that he regurgitated...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Any news ?

How is Dexter doing, and your other babies ?

Hope all is well.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Hi Zina,
    Thanks for asking. I actually signed in just now to give an update on him. I decided against giving him the panacur, because the last thing I wanted was for the medicine to dehydrate him and cause any more digestive problems or anything. I don't think this was a parasitic issue, anyway. So, i've still just been treating his water with the Nutribac and I fed him a fuzzy 5 days ago and he kept it down. My plan is to feed him a weanling size rat every 7 days for at least the next couple of weeks and if he keeps them down, i'll bump him back up to small rats...

The Ball Python only has two more antibiotic injections to go and she is doing great except she is still refusing food. I would imagine the stress of getting tubed and jabbed with a needle every 3 days isn't helping. Hopefully after her treatments are done she'll start eating again...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    If your snake only kept down a fuzzy then the next meal should be a pup 14 days later. If all goes well, then a small weanling after another 14 days. If all goes well, do 2-3 feedings on ten day intervals without going up in feeder size before moving to weekly feedings - and again, do 2-3 feedings before moving up in size to a small rat.

Regurge is very hard on a snake and you do not want to rush it back into eating.
    Last edited by bcr229; 02-02-2018 at 09:17 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-03-2018),GoingPostal (02-03-2018),zina10 (02-03-2018)

Thanks
    Holy crap! Really? Alright... I'll do that... This poor guy must be starving, though...

Thanks
    He ate and kept down his last feeder on 12/11 and you said before that he had a major case of sausage butt. Starting him back onto food slowly may make him a little hungry but he's in no danger of starving to death.

FWIW with the exception of females that have just dropped a clutch and are thus really hungry, my adult BP's are all on a two week feeding schedule. Once they've matured they don't need weekly feedings. Even with that schedule they still average a feeder every three to four weeks on their own.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (02-03-2018)

Thanks

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    He ate and kept down his last feeder on 12/11 and you said before that he had a major case of sausage butt. Starting him back onto food slowly may make him a little hungry but he's in no danger of starving to death.

FWIW with the exception of females that have just dropped a clutch and are thus really hungry, my adult BP's are all on a two week feeding schedule. Once they've matured they don't need weekly feedings. Even with that schedule they still average a feeder every three to four weeks on their own.
    Dexter will only be 2 years old on June 30th. Once he is back on his regular feeding schedule shouldn't he be alright eating every 7 days again if he's holding food down good since he's still a growing boy? I've actually been really confused about when to cut Bloods back. It has been my understanding that they get cut back to a 14/21 day maintenance diet after around the 3 - 4 year mark when they start reaching maturity or once they're eating large rats. Do you know if that is correct? Dexter's girlfriend will be turning 3 years old around June and she even still has a lot of growing to do. All of my other Bloods and Short Tails will also be turning 2 years old around June and they all still have a lot of growing to do. They're all eating small rats every 7 days and have perfect body shapes. Blood and Short Tail growth rates seem to be length primarily for the first 2 - 3 years. Even my 3 year old still hasn't reached a point where she is putting on a lot of girth yet. I would definitely like to know when you're generally supposed to cut Bloods and Short Tails back if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks
    Male ball pythons can be mature enough to breed at nine months or even younger, though I wouldn't recommend it. A two year old male is a breedable adult.

Females take a year longer to mature. If they're up to 1500 grams breeders start to pair them when they're entering their third winter.

Can't help with the blood pythons.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast