Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

2 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Technically, I guess it would have been around somewhere around 56 hours later when he regurgitated... But, yeah... It sucks... The rat I fed him was extra small, but i'm thinking I should have given him at least a couple more weeks before trying to feed him again. I was just concerned about his weight loss and I would have bet money that weatherizing my snake room and getting all of my temps and humidity back to spot on would have remedied his problem. I've been doing a lot more research on snakes regurgitating and it seems to be that 90% of regurgitation issues are caused by husbandry issues, over feeding, handling too soon after eating or over handling in general. In my case, the only one of those that could have caused it would have been my temperatures and humidity (mostly) going crazy for just a few days after it got extremely cold outside before I discovered the cold drafts coming in behind the rack he is in. Since I weatherized, temps (bumped up to about 85 on the hot side) and humidity have been perfect again, though. Maybe he will be alright if I give him a whole month off of food and zero handling and let him settle back in to ideal temps and humidity? I've still been giving him fresh new water treated with Nutribac every 2 days, but I don't have any idea if he has been drinking it or not. All of my Bloods and Short Tails will be turning 2 and 3 years old around June and i've had all of them on a 7 day feeding schedule since day one. Since their metabolism is so slow, do you guys think it might be a good idea to cut them back to 10 - 14 days? The way these guys store food for so long always worries the hell out of me and for a month or so before Dexter started regurgitating he had been looking like he was going to explode. He had completely emptied himself (massively) 4 days after the first time he regurgitated... The only other thing I can think of is maybe I haven't been heating up the frozen/thawed rats enough before feeding? They are definitely always thawed out completely and I heat them up with a heat gun right before feeding and none of my other snakes have ever regurgitated, but maybe they aren't warm enough on the inside sometimes? I don't know...

I want to take him to the vet and I definitely would if it was just a matter of an office call + a treatment and some medication, but according to the research i've been doing on regurgitation, it could require many different series of very expensive tests and lab work to get to the bottom of it. Unfortunately, i've been going through some financial difficulties and I just can't afford hundreds/thousands of dollars for guess work. So, for now, my only option is to hope and prey that some time, TLC and Nutribac will resolve it...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Have you ever fed him live before? Could he have a case of internal parasites or perhaps Giardia or so? Those are easily treated..but you need to test for it.. I'm so sorry to hear he regurgitated again. Perhaps it's time to tube him like Kara said..with Nutribac slurry
    I would message her and get real good instruction and advice before you do that, though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zina10; 01-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It could be something like crypto, too. You said he looked like he was going to explode earlier, and crypto causes swelling where the stomach is, as well as regurgitation and weight loss. I would still try to get in with a vet and at least think about testing for that, since it's contagious and generally lethal. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case and it's just messed up GI fauna from the first regurge...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    Take him to the vet. I like Dr. Robert Wagner. He has office hours Monday and Tuesday evenings at North Boros Veterinary Hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post

http://www.drbobwagner.com/contact-me/

He is usually treating multiple animals at once, but I feel he knows what he's doing and his prices are good.

Thanks for letting me know about this vet, Kcl. Much appreciated!

Just to let everyone know, I am going to go ahead and take him to the vet as soon as the roads clear. Unfortunately, I drive a Mustang and we just got hit with a bunch of snow again last night... Grrr! But, anyway, I called the vet's office and it will only be $60.00 for the office call. I explained to them that he is a Blood Python and it wouldn't be very likely that I would be able to bring a feces sample since he just emptied out recently, etc. She said the vet will sometimes treat for parasites without a sample, which would only be $10.00. So, that would be a huge peace of mind! As of right now, i'm worried sick... I don't want to lose this guy and I definitely don't want parasites spreading to my other animals (if that is the problem)! I'm assuming that deworming would take at least 2 or 3 treatments, though, wouldn't it? Will vets typically give you worm medicine to take home to administer yourself with reptiles? I've been studying up on Panacur, which seems to be the go-to treatment for reptiles. Is that what the vet will likely use?

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Have you ever fed him live before? Could he have a case of internal parasites or perhaps Giardia or so? Those are easily treated..but you need to test for it.. I'm so sorry to hear he regurgitated again. Perhaps it's time to tube him like Kara said..with Nutribac slurry
    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I would message her and get real good instruction and advice before you do that, though..

No, this was the first time I ever fed him live... I also think it's probably time to tube him and make sure he gets a good dose of Nutribac, but i'm not even sure how much a proper dose would be. The directions couldn't be any more vague with that product! One of my local breeder friends told me that if he wasn't drinking water he would already be dead, so would you guys think it's safe to assume that he has been getting the Nutribac that i've been mixing in with his water?

Quote Originally Posted by aahmn View Post
    It could be something like crypto, too. You said he looked like he was going to explode earlier, and crypto causes swelling where the stomach is, as well as regurgitation and weight loss. I would still try to get in with a vet and at least think about testing for that, since it's contagious and generally lethal. Hopefully this wouldn't be the case and it's just messed up GI fauna from the first regurge...
    I REALLY hope he doesn't have Cryptosporidiosis! From what i've researched, animals with that pretty much just have to be euthanized... His belly hasn't been swollen any more ever since he defecated on 12/09...

Thanks
    Since you are taking him to the Vet anyway, just take the Nutribac with you and ask for advice whether you should use it and if so, the vet can tube him for you. Its easier to do it there, where you have help and they have the right supplies...

Perhaps they can show you how and send some supplies home with you, if they want this treatment repeated.

They don't necessarily need a fecal sample to check for protozoans or parasites. They sometimes can do a fecal flush and it may be enough..

Back in the day when I did rescue, I used Panacure for parasites and Flagyl for protozoans. Many people treat prophylactic , esp. if they get imports, but I would feel better if I knew what I was treating. Esp. since the boy is sick, and you don't want to make that worse by treating him for things that he doesn't have..

The best thing to do, is what you are going to do. Go to a experienced reptile vet.

I would start making a list of your concerns and questions. Sometimes you forget half of what you were going to ask once you are there. You could ask about those other diseases and the possibilities that it could be that, possible tests, etc. You could ask about the parasites and the flush. You could ask about if your other snake refusing could possibly be related. Ask about (and bring) the Nutribac. Be well prepared to get the most out of that visit.

These tools are quite handy when you have to inspect or treat a snakes mouth, or tube/medicate, etc. Hold the mouth open while you have perfect access to it.

Good luck with your boy, hope the Vet can figure it out and get him all better !!
    Last edited by zina10; 01-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    All great advice, Zina. Thank you. I am definitely going to take all of his records and a list of questions along with me. Taking the Nutribac along is also a great idea. Hopefully the vet will be able to show me how to properly dose him orally. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be something serious and can be easily treated without costing a fortune...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    All great advice, Zina. Thank you. I am definitely going to take all of his records and a list of questions along with me. Taking the Nutribac along is also a great idea. Hopefully the vet will be able to show me how to properly dose him orally. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be something serious and can be easily treated without costing a fortune...
    I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you!

Zina

Thanks

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

You're welcome for the vet name. Hope he can help your boy. He did give us the antibiotic injections to do at home, so I'd guess he'd be willing to give you whatever relevant medicines to administer at home as well.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Just a quick update on Dexter... He is still doing alright... Him and one of my Ball Pythons that has a respiratory infection both have vet appointments on Thursday and will be treated...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I would also offer untreated water along with the treated water if you are still offering treated water. IF for some reason he is avoiding the water because of the additive, he will have an alternative water source and not become dehydrated on top of the other issues. Put the treated water closest to his favorite spot perhaps and the untreated water further away?

Good luck. And I second the list of questions and concerns. A vet can be intimidating and scary and it's very easy to be distracted and end up wanting to leave more quickly to get out of the environment of "Sick pet" and then suddenly you didn't ask the half dozen urgent questions you wanted to. With a written list, you can even make notes of answers too(take a pencil!)
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-16-2018)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast