Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 912

4 members and 908 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    So...not the most glamorous aspect of herpetoculture by far. In the days before commercially-available probiotics, snakes with chronic regurge issues were force-fed feces from healthy snakes of the same species to help re-establish gut flora. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    OMG! Now, that sounds like a reeeeaaal good time! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Off topic, I know, but that actually was AND IS highly effective.

It is being used in human medicine as well, although, the "material" is "re-fined" and given through a tube It seems to be the only thing that helps with severe and antibiotic resistant diseases in the digestive tract..
    i learn wonderful new things every day on here. LOL.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-28-2017)

Thanks
    Just some updates on my little buddy - Dexter... His backbone is sticking up and he is looking really thin. I wish I could feed the poor guy, but everyone has advised me not to. I'm pretty sure the last meal he kept down was on 12/11, after having regurgitated the first time on 12/05 and taking a massive dump on 12/09. He then regurgitated a second time on 12/20... I have been mixing Nutribac in with fresh water every other day since either 12/23 or 12/25 and haven't fed him. Whether or not he has been drinking the water, I don't know...

Now, for the most important update... I firmly believe that I discovered the reason for Dexter's regurgitation, as well as why his girlfriend - Sophie has been refusing food a lot... We have been having severe cold temperatures here in Pittsburgh, PA and due to having ongoing temperature and humidity problems in my snake room since it got cold, I decided to check for drafts. Unfortunately, there is an unused door in my snake room, which leads outside onto a roof and the back of my Blood/Short Tail rack is right up against it. There is also a window in my snake room... Lo and behold I discovered some serious drafts coming in all around the door and some coming in around the window. So, I duct taped all the way around the door and then covered the entire door with thick black plastic. I also covered the window with black plastic... I am extremely happy to say that I am now able to keep the heater vent closed in my snake room and my portable oil space heater is able to keep the temperature wherever I want them and my humidifier is keeping the room right around 50%! I am also very thankful and lucky to not have a bunch of sick snakes! I firmly believe that the drafts were the cause of some Dexter regurgitating, as well as why Sophie hasn't been eating regularly. She is also starting to look thin... The freezing cold drafts around the door HAD to have been blowing directly on the back of the rack (which is only covered with 1/8" panel board) and that is right where they lay on their hot spots. Poor babies... I'm sure just glad I discovered these draft issues and fixed them when I did and i'm praying that RI problems don't arise! Do you guys think this could be what caused Dexter's regurgitation and should I still not feed him for a few more weeks?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-05-2018),zina10 (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    It is possible the cold did it. I would not wait several more weeks to feed them if their spines are showing, I would offer them a very small meal like a mouse pinky or small fuzzy that has been dusted with NutriBAC this weekend after they warm up.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-05-2018),Godzilla78 (01-05-2018),PitOnTheProwl (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

That’s great news Aedryan, it’s amazing how a heat difference can really upset the health of our snakes, and how careful troubleshooting and correcting the heat and humidity problems can bring them right back into health often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    That was the answer I was hoping for... I will try feeding Dexter a Nutribac dusted weanling on Monday and hope for the best. Sophie has never regurgitated, so I would suspect her usual prey size should be alright? With her, it's just a matter of getting her to start eating on a regular basis again. The last meal she didn't refuse was on 12/18, but she had been on a hunger strike for 1 1/2 - 2 months prior to that and has been refusing meals ever since. I think I will dust her meal with Nutribac as well just for good measure...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    Well... Dexter refused frozen/thawed, so he got a live small rat and has managed to keep it down for 3 days... Fingers crossed! His girlfriend - Sophie also refused frozen/thawed, so she took down a nice big fat live medium rat. I'm basically done playing games with 4 of my snakes that have been ongoing problem feeders (2 Balls and 2 Bloods) and giving them live from here on out. Otherwise, i'll be sitting here 'til doomsday trying to get everyone up to breeding size and have to continue throwing more rats away than are being eaten every week. Things will be sooo much easier (and cheaper) once I have my own rat breeding program going soon, though!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Kept it down for 3 days, I’d say you are good. Nothing wrong with feeding live, I would if I could get them as cheap as I get the frozens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I spoke too soon... He regurgitated again... Maybe I should have tried waiting a few more weeks. I don't know what else to do for this poor guy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I spoke too soon... He regurgitated again... Maybe I should have tried waiting a few more weeks. I don't know what else to do for this poor guy...
    Take him to the vet. I like Dr. Robert Wagner. He has office hours Monday and Tuesday evenings at North Boros Veterinary Hospital.

http://www.drbobwagner.com/contact-me/

He is usually treating multiple animals at once, but I feel he knows what he's doing and his prices are good.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    3 days and still gurged....... I would take to a reputable vet in your area.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast