Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,848

0 members and 1,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    I recently started receiving letters from my water company about how they have been finding elevated levels of lead in the drinking water in certain areas of the city due to lead water lines. Apparently, they have already begun replacing lead water lines and are claiming that it is homeowner's financial responsibilities to replace the lines leading into their homes from the property line. I beg to differ, but that's a whole other story! Anyway, I just called the water company and ordered a lead testing kit and I am immediately switching my snakes over to bottled water. Currently, they go through about 3 gallons of drinking water per week on average + however much I use to spray enclosures down when they are shedding. So, that won't be too awful bad, I guess. But, i'm also getting ready to start my own rat breeding program, so the additional amount of safe drinking water i'm going to have to start keeping on hand for the animals is going to sorta suck. Elevated levels of lead can't possibly be very good for reptiles. So far, Dexter is the only one that has shown any sort of digestive problem and I really hope lead isn't the cause, but it's better to be safe than sorry...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I recently started receiving letters from my water company about how they have been finding elevated levels of lead in the drinking water in certain areas of the city due to lead water lines. Apparently, they have already begun replacing lead water lines and are claiming that it is homeowner's financial responsibilities to replace the lines leading into their homes from the property line. I beg to differ, but that's a whole other story! Anyway, I just called the water company and ordered a lead testing kit and I am immediately switching my snakes over to bottled water. Currently, they go through about 3 gallons of drinking water per week on average + however much I use to spray enclosures down when they are shedding. So, that won't be too awful bad, I guess. But, i'm also getting ready to start my own rat breeding program, so the additional amount of safe drinking water i'm going to have to start keeping on hand for the animals is going to sorta suck. Elevated levels of lead can't possibly be very good for reptiles. So far, Dexter is the only one that has shown any sort of digestive problem and I really hope lead isn't the cause, but it's better to be safe than sorry...
    I feel your pain about water lines. We had a ruptured water line that just happened to be on the "our" side of the water meter. That was not a pretty ordeal nor a cheap one!

If you are consuming more water than it seem financially feasible for your snakes, an RO system is not that ridiculously expensive and will remove all particulates and contaminates. I had one hooked to an 80 gallon drum for my saltwater tanks. Saves a ton in the long run.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    I'm not sure what's going to happen with the water situation here, but I feel that there definitely needs to be some legal actions taken. There is no way homeowners should be responsible for replacing lead water lines that were mandated by the city in the early 1900's! And, just from the little bit of research I started doing, a lot of people are saying that just by the water company starting to replace some of their lines, it is making the problem worse than if they would have just left them alone. For now, i'm going to be heading to Walmart this evening to buy a couple 5 gallon bottles of water and a dispenser, so I can keep my sssweet ssslithery friendsss sssafe and sssound...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I cannot believe what I just read?!?!?
    Regurgitation is not normal or caused by genetics.
    As an ethical breeder you should be more concerned with the health of your animals NOT the potential profit.
    HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN OUT OF ROTATION AFTER THE FIRST TIME!!!
    Wanting to be a new and coming up breeder, actions like these are suicide for your business.
    Ethics always comes first.
    Your post shines a light you shouldn't have wanted.

Funny I just read another post where he is breeding at 1100 cause they will be up to size in time. That’s a personal preference I guess but this is damn near animal abuse.
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (12-26-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess View Post
    Funny I just read another post where he is breeding at 1100 cause they will be up to size in time. That’s a personal preference I guess but this is damn near animal abuse.
    I think its more ignorance and greed. Thats the nice thing about pubic forums and breeders posting. Potential buyers can make up their own mind.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-25-2017),Godzilla78 (12-25-2017),Sonny1318 (12-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I'm not sure what's going to happen with the water situation here, but I feel that there definitely needs to be some legal actions taken. There is no way homeowners should be responsible for replacing lead water lines that were mandated by the city in the early 1900's! And, just from the little bit of research I started doing, a lot of people are saying that just by the water company starting to replace some of their lines, it is making the problem worse than if they would have just left them alone. For now, i'm going to be heading to Walmart this evening to buy a couple 5 gallon bottles of water and a dispenser, so I can keep my sssweet ssslithery friendsss sssafe and sssound...
    Actually you are wrong. The line on your property, leading to your house was installed privately, by a private plumbing contractor on your private property, and is YOURS. I’ve been a plumber for 20 years, if you can’t afford plumbing repairs, don’t own a home. If you can afford it, then just hire a plumber and get it done for your health and the health of your animals.
    I lost my home in the recession, it bothers me when people act entitled and don’t want to take responsibility for their home maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-25-2017)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    If you can afford it, then just hire a plumber and get it done
    Or do it yourself. I dont call anyone for anything...... Well except for 220v.... That one kind of hurts a little! Dont ask just trust me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-25-2017)

Thanks

Sorry to get off topic a bit. Happy holidays friends, and no hard feelings Aedryan, I just have peeves and pathetic self-control with my mouth. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Sorry to get off topic a bit. Happy holidays friends, and no hard feelings Aedryan, I just have peeves and pathetic self-control with my mouth. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Or do it yourself. I dont call anyone for anything...... Well except for 220v.... That one kind of hurts a little! Dont ask just trust me.
    I don’t recommend plumbing DIY on major jobs. Minor jobs, sure. But underground utilities, no.
    I have seen hundreds of homes destroyed by water damage because of DIY cheapskate work! Lol. Sewage in homes, water floods, bursting water heaters, you name it!
    If you know all the health and safety plumbing codes regarding the job, and the proper materials and installation methods, then by all means.
    I know you are mechanically inclines Pit, and probably would do research first, so I can see you pulling it off... maybe, half-assed.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast