Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 913

1 members and 912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Dexter Regurgitated Rats Twice This Month

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Great information Kara. How long do you recommend using a product like Nutribac? My BP had some regurgitation issues w/ the introduction of a new prey (rat pup) and I used this product for the next the next two feedings (smaller mice) but I wasn't sure how long to keep using it. Wasn't sure if it was a one time dosage or continual use.
    I would use it for the first 3 feedings after a regurgitation, then every other feeding for a total of three more. After that, depending on the snake’s overall condition, it can be used monthly or every other month for occasional support.

If the snake is a hard keeper (doesn’t thrive, not robust, just kind of poorly overall), it is important to note & try to get to the root of that problem, in which case a consult with a qualified herp vet would be appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kara For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (12-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I would use it for the first 3 feedings after a regurgitation, then every other feeding for a total of three more. After that, depending on the snake’s overall condition, it can be used monthly or every other month for occasional support.

If the snake is a hard keeper (doesn’t thrive, not robust, just kind of poorly overall), it is important to note & try to get to the root of that problem, in which case a consult with a qualified herp vet would be appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the advice. I'll continue to use as you mentioned. I think the root of the problem was the introduction of a rat pup from his normal mice feedings. He's since rejected the next two rat pups after successfully building him back up on smaller mice during the suggested regurgitation period. I'll continue to try each week and hopefully it will take.

Thanks
    Well, Nutribac is on it's way... It's not exactly cheap, but nothing is too good for my snakey poos... lol I take better care of them than I do myself and that's no BS! lol I just hope this passes for Dexter. He's such a sweet boy... Thanks for all of the great information you guys gave me about this!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (12-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Well, Nutribac is on it's way... It's not exactly cheap, but nothing is too good for my snakey poos...
    Fortunately you only need a tiny pinch of it to dust on a damp feeder to ensure your snake ingests it, so a bottle lasts for years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (12-22-2017)

Thanks
    Yeah... $16.00 (including shipping) isn't that bad, anyway, I guess... I was expecting to see $50.00 or something... lol I'm just going to have to figure out how much i'll need to put in his water for the next few weeks while he is off food, though. A syringe with water would definitely be best way to give it to him, but I don't know if i'll be able to do it. The last thing I would want to do (besides get bitten... lol) is stress him out or jeopardize any of the trust that i've established with him. He has always been a total sweetheart since day one other than a couple isolated incidents...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Yeah... $16.00 (including shipping) isn't that bad, anyway, I guess... I was expecting to see $50.00 or something... lol I'm just going to have to figure out how much i'll need to put in his water for the next few weeks while he is off food, though. A syringe with water would definitely be best way to give it to him, but I don't know if i'll be able to do it. The last thing I would want to do (besides get bitten... lol) is stress him out or jeopardize any of the trust that i've established with him. He has always been a total sweetheart since day one other than a couple isolated incidents...
    I wouldn't syringe him. At this point that would just cause more stress then it would be worth it. When they panic, they can fight quite hard! Treatments like this should be last resort..

Just use a smaller water dish, so you can frequently refresh it, you can also make sure he actually drinks it by keeping and eye on the water level. If he doesn't seem to drink it, I would also offer regular water. You want to make sure he keeps drinking, even if its just plain water.

I think he will be fine, you are very caring and on top of what should be done. Correct husbandry and a good long rest from eating and handling is the main thing for now. After that, take it slow and easy for a bit.

Listen to Kara, I believe she is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to Bloods and I would trust her implicitly with any advice she has regarding their care and recovery.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (12-22-2017),dr del (12-22-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Yeah... $16.00 (including shipping) isn't that bad, anyway, I guess... I was expecting to see $50.00 or something... lol I'm just going to have to figure out how much i'll need to put in his water for the next few weeks while he is off food, though.
    You don't put nutribac in the water, it's sprinkled on the feeder once it's time to offer the next meal (after waiting weeks and offering something smaller as has been mentioned) - edit to add - it turns into a thick paste when wet. Also make sure to keep it refrigerated after opening.
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 12-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (12-22-2017),dr del (12-22-2017),zina10 (12-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    You don't put nutribac in the water, it's sprinkled on the feeder once it's time to offer the next meal (after waiting weeks and offering something smaller as has been mentioned) - edit to add - it turns into a thick paste when wet. Also make sure to keep it refrigerated after opening.
    I've never used this product or needed it, knock on wood. But its good to know that something like this exists. Re-establishing good gut flora can be immensely beneficial with any digestion issues..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    The instructions on the bottle state to put the powder in the water. I read about sprinkling some on a damp f/t feeder to ensure the snake ingests some instead of messing with the snake's water, which to me makes more sense since that way you'll know the snake got treated.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-22-2017),zina10 (12-22-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Huh, okay, I believe it but that seems odd. I'll have to go re-read the one I have at home (dealing with a boa having off-and-on issues). When I put it on the feeder, if the feeder is wet, it turns into a sticky mess of a paste, I could only imagine how yucky this would make the water. I've been wrong plenty of times though lol
    I put it on a dry feeder and just rub it under the fur, usually I concentrate mostly on the head since that goes in first.
    For the Horde!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast