Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,343

2 members and 2,341 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: building plans for a 6-shelf rack

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    This will definitely be nice. Melamine is much cheaper, but also much heavier and a little more difficult to work with than PVC. Keep in mind, Lowes will cut all of the pieces out for you right at the store, which saves a lot of trouble. That way all you have to do is load up the pieces and take them home and assemble them. I would definitely recommend 12" heat tape for adults, though. Heat tape should cover about 1/3 of the tubs...
    Yeah, you are right, my tubs are positioned with the tape across the length of the tub, so 6" ends up being ⅓ of tub bottom width. The vast majority of tubs are positioned with the tape across the width of the tub, so 12" would be better in this case. My bad, I was thinking egocentrically about my rack, and not about her rack dimensions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (12-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Yeah, you are right, my tubs are positioned with the tape across the length of the tub, so 6" ends up being ⅓ of tub bottom width. The vast majority of tubs are positioned with the tape across the width of the tub, so 12" would be better in this case. My bad, I was thinking egocentrically about my rack, and not about her rack dimensions.
    no worries!!! i appreciate all input.

everyone's layouts are different so these mix-ups do help those of us who don't know better.

no egos here.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

lol i'm just reading and catching up on DIY threads today!

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i'm currently tossing around the idea of building my own 6-shelf adult PVC rack. i based my design on IRIS CB-70 tubs.

i drew up a blueprint in SketchUp, as well as laid out each piece on top of the 4' x 8' x 0.5" PVC sheets i would use for this.

i think your measurements for the shelf height is off. those Iris tubs are probably 6" tall w/ the lid on. besides i think a 1/4" gap is way too big. i would go 1/8 at most and would rather add holes to a tub, rather than having the gap to wide. i would find the actual Iris tub and measure it in person for spot on accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i'm not sure how i would cut a groove for the heat tape yet, or what size heat tape i should use. i think my current rack's heat tape is maybe 3"(?).

i'll update as i keep thinking about this i guess. any tips, suggestions, questions or anything else would be appreciated!!!
    i think 6" heat tape is perfect. Freedom Breeders and ARS Racks use 5in heat panels (heat tape run along metal panels of the same width). i use the rule of 1/3 heat source for tanks and PVC enclosures, etc. whereas racks are more streamlined.

if u really wanna cut a groove for the heat tape, use a router w/ a jig that gives u precise depth and width for the heat tape. or use table saw w/ dado blades. your dad would know. if u wanna snake 1 long piece of heat tape through each shelf, u will need to add cuts to the left and/or right side of each shelf.

happy building!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    i think your measurements for the shelf height is off. those Iris tubs are probably 6" tall w/ the lid on. besides i think a 1/4" gap is way too big. i would go 1/8 at most and would rather add holes to a tub, rather than having the gap to wide. i would find the actual Iris tub and measure it in person for spot on accuracy.
    very good points. i should get my hands on the tub i wana use; good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    if u really wanna cut a groove for the heat tape, use a router w/ a jig that gives u precise depth and width for the heat tape. or use table saw w/ dado blades. your dad would know. if u wanna snake 1 long piece of heat tape through each shelf, u will need to add cuts to the left and/or right side of each shelf.
    my dad's buddy has a table saw that we can probably use, and my dad would most likely be making the cuts hahaha. and i totally forgot about the cuts for the heat tape; DOH! thank you for reminding me!

back to the drawing board!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    If you do shelf holders, you should be able to slide them out easily to lower the weight of a melamine piece and make it easier on everyone to move. Like so. Plus it's less permanently fixed in case you decide to change the setup in the future (like heat tape width) since you can pull out the shelves and put in new ones vs permanent shelving that's affixed to the sides. Drilling the necessary peg holes shouldn't be too difficult at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12