Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,833

1 members and 2,832 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    The hunters of Everglades invasive pythons are allowed to harvest the meat and skins, as far as I know. Last time I heard about the hunt, at least.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Interesting Videos On The Snake Skin Trade *Graphic*

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    There is a python elimination program going on down there, wouldn't surprise me if some of them were processed into skins.
    I'm OK with that as long as they are doing it in a humane way.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    The hunters of Everglades invasive pythons are allowed to harvest the meat and skins, as far as I know. Last time I heard about the hunt, at least.
    The skins, yes. The meat is heavily contaminated with mercury and not recommended for consumption.
    https://www.livescience.com/8528-mer...hons-menu.html

Thanks
    Mmmm mercury gives it that yummy tang!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I do have to admit I couldn't watch all the way through.

I am not a vegetarian. I'm ok with hunting. I know what meat I eat is slaughtered, and oftentimes not in the most humane fashion.

That said, I would pay double for meat, if that would pay for humane slaughter and humane raising of slaughter animals. I'd simply eat less of it, what I could afford.

Well, knowing what I do about reptiles and how they die, it made me squeamish to watch their decapitated bodies still squirming and being skinned right after the head is cut off. From what I've learned, they do not die immediately after decapitation. Its NOT just "nerves firing away". Their cold blooded-ness and slow metabolism does keep their organs and cells alive for quite a while. Its been observed that the eyes can follow movement, pupils react to light, etc.

So I can imagine their suffering, as they do feel pain and most likely fear. I wish people would get educated and care enough to club that head, before cutting it off. But I guess that would add more work and trouble...and I do know that in some countries you have to do what you can to make a living..

Article about euthanizing reptiles..

Decapitation is often times recommended as a humane and easy way to euthanize reptiles. Unfortunately, research indicates that this may not be the case. Clifford Warwick discusses it in Reptiles: Misunderstood, Mistreated and Mass-Marketed (1990; Nower Productions, UK). There are no references given in this booklet written for the carriage trade, but, as a biologist of some note, Warwick has written extensively on ethological* aspects of reptiles and using ethology to identify illness and stress in captivity.

"Some of the many ways in which reptiles are "killed" are mentioned later on but one method which is quite commonly used is decapitation. Generally speaking, in mammals and birds, for example, quickly severing the head from the rest of the body may cause immediate or near immediate loss of consciousness and a very rapid death. It might not be describable as 'humane' but the period of post-severance life in the head is almost certainly short. Although meaning certain death, decapitation is certainly not a rapid or humane way of killing reptiles. As hard to believe as it seems, the heads cut from reptiles live on well after the horrific event of decapitation itself. It is not a case of "nerves causing the head to move unconsciously" as most people think. The heads, and parts of the neck if still attached, are alive and some may attempt to bite objects which approach; the eyes may follow movement and the pupils contract and dilate in response to light and dark; they can blink and in the case of snakes and lizards, flick out and in their tongues to test the air for scent and even move slightly if enough of their neck is left.

"With what movement they can manage they often writhe in agony from the massive severance of tissue. They are virtually helpless, frightened and going to die. If it seems too inconceivable to be true, then think of it as being a case of animals which have had most of their bodies cut away. One might think that suffering of this kind could not be endured for long. If only that were true. Unfortunately, a problem associated with the reptilian metabolism's ability to operate at relatively low oxygen and low blood pressure levels is that nerve tissue is, to put it simply, very tough. Therefore, the nervous system, which of course includes the brain, can function away from the rest of the body for some time. In fact, the activities of decapitated heads mentioned earlier have been recorded as present for around an hour or so. If reptiles are to be killed by physical means (rather than by, say, an injected overdose of an anesthetic), then it has to involve complete and rapid destruction of the brain; otherwise they are very likely to suffer enormously and for a long time before dying."
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

That same channel actually had an older video on the skin trade, they were actually clubbing Bloods with metal rods. I didn't finish that one. As I understand pithing is a faster way to euthanize snakes, but I believe it is hard to pull off correctly.

Thanks
    The skinning after decapitation does not add pain. They can't feel what's going on in the severed body. The HEAD may be able to feel pain, which is why I prefer that they smash the skulls, which I have seen in another video. Crushing the brain is best.

As far as inhumane slaughter in the meat industry, most of it is humane. The cattle industry has especially moved forward in leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. They've altered the slaughterhouses to avoid stressing the cattle, right down to how the chutes are designed with curves and solid sides. A "humane bolt" to the brain kills instantly.

As far as meat prices going up, while it wouldn't affect some of us, it WOULD affect the poor who already have major issues getting proper proteins in their diets. The California nonsense has raised the price of eggs already, which does affect poor families who used to rely on eggs as a cheap source of healthy proteins.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12