Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

1 members and 2,850 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Exo Terra Heat Mat?

The 11" x 17" Exo Terra heat mat I ordered just arrived, but I'm not sure if it's usable. I think I might've read somewhere that someone had issues with them. That and it says glass terrariums only, which I hadn't noticed, but I plan to use it inside a wooden viv. I'm gunna be using it with a "Swell Thermostat" if that means anything?

Thanks
    I can't comment on exo-terra mats themselves as I've never used them (I use habi-stat and another brand I can't recall right now) but
    You're not really supposed to put heat mats and thermostats inside the viv, but to be honest I set mine up like that when I was a new owner. and had it like that for about 8-9 months. Saying that, the reason you're not supposed to do it is the probe can be moved by a snake, or the mat can get damp and that will make the temperature spike which could harm your snake (I didn't know this when I set my viv up) I did have a problem with my thermostat but that was a different issue as I use that stat now. What size is your wooden viv? It might be a better idea to scrap the idea of using a heat mat and go straight for a ceramic bulb, but if you did that you'd need to get a pulse thermostat as the ones from Swell are on/off ones. Another thing you can do is put a 'fake bottom' in the viv, I have two that have a glass layer so the heat mat is sandwiched between the wood and that.
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

Thanks

Re: Exo Terra Heat Mat?

Nevermind lol, I found my preferred brand with the sizes I want.

Thanks

Re: Exo Terra Heat Mat?

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    I can't comment on exo-terra mats themselves as I've never used them (I use habi-stat and another brand I can't recall right now) but
    You're not really supposed to put heat mats and thermostats inside the viv, but to be honest I set mine up like that when I was a new owner. and had it like that for about 8-9 months. Saying that, the reason you're not supposed to do it is the probe can be moved by a snake, or the mat can get damp and that will make the temperature spike which could harm your snake (I didn't know this when I set my viv up) I did have a problem with my thermostat but that was a different issue as I use that stat now. What size is your wooden viv? It might be a better idea to scrap the idea of using a heat mat and go straight for a ceramic bulb, but if you did that you'd need to get a pulse thermostat as the ones from Swell are on/off ones. Another thing you can do is put a 'fake bottom' in the viv, I have two that have a glass layer so the heat mat is sandwiched between the wood and that.
    The viv will be something like 45"L x 17"W 16"H (unsure about W x H). I've been using a smaller mat in a smaller viv (34"L) and haven't had any problems with him moving the probe yet, and the mat is def waterproof (though I wouldn't expose it to any large amount of water). I'm avoiding CHEs as an only heat source, I think belly heat is more beneficial to them. If I have any problems I might be able to order a glass mat holder from Swell Reptiles.