Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,018

0 members and 3,018 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding...

Thanks

Feeding...

Yep, it seems the most asked question of them all... and now its my turn...

My son got Coco, a female BP, on 23rd November, the day after her last feed.

We left it until around 5th to 7th December (can't remember exactly) to attempt a feed. She did strike once and I dropped the weener rat. Caught me by surprise. After that she didn't want to know.

Left it a day or two and tried again. This time zero interest.

Anyways we tried again tonight. Did as we have before, but again no success.

Now I have read that BP's are renouned for being fussy eaters, sometimes going weeks, but its now been some 26ish days since her last feed.

We let the rat thaw in the fridge from yesterday afternoon until about 5.30 today. Took it out and left it, in a covered box, on her viv to completely thaw.

Placed it in hot water, in a bag, to warm up... dangled and shook it just above her but again no luck. Even used my hairdryer to heat it.

She is now back in her viv and we've left the rat in there too to see if she takes it during the night.

So the obvious question, is what we are doing right? Is it just because she simply isn't interested?

Any advice, ideas or suggestions etc would be much appreciated.

WBT12

Thanks

Re: Feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by wbt1208 View Post
    Yep, it seems the most asked question of them all... and now its my turn...

My son got Coco, a female BP, on 23rd November, the day after her last feed.

We left it until around 5th to 7th December (can't remember exactly) to attempt a feed. She did strike once and I dropped the weener rat. Caught me by surprise. After that she didn't want to know.

Left it a day or two and tried again. This time zero interest.

Anyways we tried again tonight. Did as we have before, but again no success.

Now I have read that BP's are renouned for being fussy eaters, sometimes going weeks, but its now been some 26ish days since her last feed.

We let the rat thaw in the fridge from yesterday afternoon until about 5.30 today. Took it out and left it, in a covered box, on her viv to completely thaw.

Placed it in hot water, in a bag, to warm up... dangled and shook it just above her but again no luck. Even used my hairdryer to heat it.

She is now back in her viv and we've left the rat in there too to see if she takes it during the night.

So the obvious question, is what we are doing right? Is it just because she simply isn't interested?

Any advice, ideas or suggestions etc would be much appreciated.

WBT12
    There can be all kinds of reasons as to why your BP won’t eat. I’ll start off by asking the obvious question, how’s your husbandry? Temps, heating elements used, type of enclosure, what’s in the enclosure, are you using a thermostat, etc. If the husbandry is off or the snake doesn’t feel secure, those could be potential factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Catahoula (Easton)
    1.0 Chocolate Lab/Weimeraner (Gunner)
    0.1 Black Pewter het Albino (Arya)
    0.1 BCI (Kaiya)

Thanks

Fingers x husbandry is good.

3ft viv with 2 hides.

Uv light and ceramic heater element.

Thermostat controlled. Warm end 33.5°, give or take 1°ish either side. Cool end around 26°. Clean water every other day. Large hide filled with kitchen roll.

Thanks

Do you know what type of prey and size it was that your BP last ate from the store/breeder? If it was a mouse, I'm wondering if your BP is refusing it because your trying to feed a rat which is the same issue I'm experiencing. The only thing that jumps out to me is that you might of tried to re-feed too soon after the initial rejection. I would try letting the rat thaw near the cage for a good while and hopefully the smell will entice your BP enough to put him in 'the mood' to eat. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks

Hi. They fed her a rat weaner and am getting the same sized rat from the store she came from.

We will leave her for a week or so then try again.

We already leave it on her viv when defrosting.

Next time we will offer it. If nothing then leave it half hour or so before the next warm up and wiggle?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    A few thoughts:
    A) Are you feeding inside the enclosure or moving the snake to a feeding tub?

B) Are you sure you're not heating the prey too much and starting the cooking process?

C) The enclosure may be too big and open and the snake may be afraid to eat.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Feeding...

Make sure it's evening as they're nocturnal , mine prefer low light / dim light and all five now only strike from within their hides .
    Heat well with hairdryer then offer with tongs - dangle in front of the hide entrance - offer IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm - they cool down substantially each second. If there is the slightest interest shown , reheat and offer instantly- repeat as many times as it takes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-19-2017 at 06:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (12-19-2017)

Thanks

We have been moving her to a seperate plastic box so maybe thats the issue?

Was under the impression it was the better option rather than in her viv. Is this actually not the case?

Thanks

Was under the impression it was the better option rather than in her viv. Is this actually not the case?
    Feed them in their enclosure, moving them causes too much stress, its also a cause for the potential for regurgitation to occur. If you handle your BP correctly and you know their personality you can see the difference in their attitude when it is time to feed and when it is not. Mine have never mistakenly taken my fingers for food, now typically i dont handle my snakes a day or two before feeding just because I know that 4 out of the 5 have a insane feeding response. so at that point i know they may just try and take my hand off lol. Tap/hook training is best to utilize to assist in this type of behavior. I'm having to get my Boa tap trained cause she is forever roaming looking for something to eat, she just sits at the doors waiting for me to give her something...lol so when i open the doors shes ready to go, thats when i just lightly tap her on the head to let her know its not food time and at that point she snaps out of her hunting mode and i can pick her up with out her taking a shot at me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I don't know anybody who feeds in separate containers to be honest apart from a few newbie keepers who read that it's a good thing .

I just put a couple of small pieces of card down in each viv and feed over the card . I feed 20 like this each time - never had an issue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-20-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast