Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,748

1 members and 2,747 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Back when I worked with rescues and sick snakes, I've tried the "braining". That never worked for me, while other tricks would ...

That said, I would try one more live, smaller pinky, dusted once again.

After that, you can be sure the lost weight is re-gained, the nutribac had a chance to do its work and no regurges happened. That's when I would try f/t again, after at least 5 to 6 days "break", so he's nice and hungry
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Re: Russian Rat Regurgitated

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Back when I worked with rescues and sick snakes, I've tried the "braining". That never worked for me, while other tricks would ...

That said, I would try one more live, smaller pinky, dusted once again.

After that, you can be sure the lost weight is re-gained, the nutribac had a chance to do its work and no regurges happened. That's when I would try f/t again, after at least 5 to 6 days "break", so he's nice and hungry

Yep. Ok, I totally agree. I'm gonna suck it up and feed live one more time to have the best chance to set him up for success.

Thank you a million times over for your - and everyone's - support through my first speed bump. Hopefully once his eating is back on track, I can post some nice pics of him in his progression thread. We've been leaving him totally alone for the last few weeks and really miss him.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    Yep. Ok, I totally agree. I'm gonna suck it up and feed live one more time to have the best chance to set him up for success.

Thank you a million times over for your - and everyone's - support through my first speed bump. Hopefully once his eating is back on track, I can post some nice pics of him in his progression thread. We've been leaving him totally alone for the last few weeks and really miss him.
    I know its hard to be "hands off" with such a cute little noodle...

But just think, that species actually seems to like being fussed over and they are nosy little things. So you will be able to make up for lost time when you are over this hiccup Once they take off they do seem to grow at a pretty good clip. I actually used to take my female on walks, LOL. Well, she tagged along while I walked my dog.
    And no, I would never recommend doing that with just any snake. I also rarely ever saw another person where I walked, so noone to "freak out".

I had her under my hoodie and her little head and neck hung out above the zipper. It was funny how her head was "nodding" along with the steps I took. She never moved anything at all other then her head, looking around.

They really are the funniest snakes
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-10-2018),hilabeans (01-08-2018),MissterDog (01-10-2018),Starscream (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    I'm late to the party but I'm so glad your little guy ate! Here is hoping for more successful feeds and that he will go back to f/t in time. I commend you for being able to tough through it and giving him what he needs despite not wanting to feed live. I would have such a hard time too! So great big awesome mom award to you!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (01-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    So great big awesome mom award to you!
    I accept this award on behalf of all the other bleeding heart snake moms & dads who have had to tearfully offer live for the health of their beloved noodles. I did not get here on my own, but owe thanks to the bp.net community and the support provided by the awesome members here. I also thank my agent, publicist, nutritionist, stylist, make-up artist, and therapist.

Seriously though, I'm planning one more live feed just to increase odds of success and I'm literally having dreams (nightmares?) of it almost nightly. That squeaking!!! But a mom's gotta do what she's gotta do.

I'll update this thread again on the results. I think it's important to record all this as it shows even snakes with impeccable eating reputations can get weird about it. One of the main reasons I was drawn to the RRS was because of their feeding response, vs bps, thinking it would practically eliminate the idea of ever having to feed live. AND HERE I AM!

Almost as bad as feeding live is the not handling him while he comes out of it. We miss him terribly. Patience, patience...

Lizards:

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-10-2018),tttaylorrr (01-12-2018),zina10 (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    If I could decipher where his neck was, I think I'd ring it...

I got another live feeder yesterday and tempted him with it. He ran away from it like I was trying to kill him. He finally settled down and I left the writhing pink next to his head. He just sat there staring at it, so I left them alone. After 2 hours the mouse no longer moved and I assumed it was dead, or dying. Bonsai hadn't moved either so I just left the two of them there and went out with the fam for a few hours. When we returned late last night, the mouse was gone and Bonsai was in his hide.

I assume he ate his mouse, though I didn't lift his hide to check. I'll do that this evening when I get home from work. I just can't believe this once bold, ravenous eater has turned into this hesitant, disinterested, nervous little thing. I do not want to keep feeding live, I absolutely hate it, but if it takes him hours to eat a live mouse - surely he's going to totally turn down a f/t? Right?

Could time of feeding be an issue? We leave the house early every morning, before the sun is up, so I've been offering his food in the late afternoons between 4-5 PM when we're home and he's out. As a diurnal snake, is this a turnoff for him? It never mattered before, but now I'm grasping at straws trying to figure out why he's completely changed his tune on food.

I would really love to end this thread, but the corner I'm trying to turn seems as far away as ever.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 01-12-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    Ok, let's look at this from another point of view

He did accept the former live feeding after regurging. That is GREAT !!
    He never regurged that feeding. That is AWESOME !!! What a relief

He was hesitant about the next feeding, even though it was live. But in the end..he took it. That is FANTASTIC !!

That mean, even IF something was going on, he is getting better.

It doesn't matter what it takes, or how long it takes. He is on the up-swing. That is so much better news then it could be.

Who knows what happened originally. Perhaps there was something off with that particular rodent he regurged. Or he had a bit of a stomach ailment or for whichever reason didn't feel all fit. It was a GOOD sign he ate after that and even BETTER he didn't regurge it.

But just perhaps, digesting that meal was still a bit more difficult for him and he is a bit hesitant. At this time we can only guess...

I think its a fantastic sign that he did take that live pink yesterday, even though he wasn't all that excited. Perhaps he is going into another shed now after all ? Time line would be about right. Maybe he smelled the Nutribac on it? Either way, he took it

While its frustrating, try to look on the bright side.

I don't like live feedings either, esp. with those cute babies.

But this snake is YOUR baby, and right now he needs a little "extra" care and you will have to brave the thought of a couple more live feedings. Because if that's what it takes to get him over this hiccup, that is what you will do..because you love your little noodle.

That said, wait about 8 or 9 days until the next feeding. See if he goes into shed. If not, let the nutribac do its thing and let him clear himself out and get a little hungry. Then try another live pink. See if he is more "excited". Once he gets all excited about food again, you can think about f/t.

Zina

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    The voice of reason...thank you zina. You're right, he IS eating. And for that I should be happy. Both pinks were nutribac-ed, so that may have thrown the smell off. I will give him a solid 9 days and try again.

Can I offer f/t on the off chance he'll take it after 9 days? Or do you feel strongly that I should do another live feed, or two?

My husband held him on his chest today while I did a thorough clean of his tub, and just sweet-talked him the whole time. We really do love him, he is such a sweet little thing. This is the first time we've had him out of his tub in weeks. Hope that doesn't set him back, but he really needed a freshen up of everything.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hilabeans View Post
    The voice of reason...thank you zina. You're right, he IS eating. And for that I should be happy. Both pinks were nutribac-ed, so that may have thrown the smell off. I will give him a solid 9 days and try again.

Can I offer f/t on the off chance he'll take it after 9 days? Or do you feel strongly that I should do another live feed, or two?

My husband held him on his chest today while I did a thorough clean of his tub, and just sweet-talked him the whole time. We really do love him, he is such a sweet little thing. This is the first time we've had him out of his tub in weeks. Hope that doesn't set him back, but he really needed a freshen up of everything.
    Well, by now you know him.

Can you usually tell when he is getting "antsy" for food? Does he start looking for it, get more active?

If you can tell when he gets hungry, and starts acting that way in a week or so, give it an extra day or two and then try f/t. But do NOT chase him around with it, do a "crazy" dance with it or anything like this. Hold it up to him, move it a bit, and give him a couple of chances to go for it. If he runs, or will NOT go for it, wait another day and then give live.

At this point its all about experimenting with what works, without stressing him.

All in all, its looking very good and I'm glad he is on the upswing
    Zina

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

hilabeans (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Russian Rat Regurgitated

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Well, by now you know him.

Can you usually tell when he is getting "antsy" for food? Does he start looking for it, get more active
    Yes, normally. But he's been so much less active in the last few weeks. He's usually in his hide, or swirled up on top of his plant. He has not displayed his normal hunger posturing in some time.

I will wait 9 days, offer a f/t and see what happened. If it's a no-go, which it likely will be, I will offer live 3 days after that. Not sure if shed is on the horizon, he's lost 2 grams and is at 12g at the moment. How long can I leave a thawed pink in with him until it goes bad?

Here is his favorite spot, if he's not in his hide:

I don't know how he does it, but he loves to be perched right on top of his tree. The two white strips visible are on the outside. I have his jumpstart velcro'd to the outside of his tub.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 01-13-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Lizards:

Tarantulas:

Inverts:

Dog & Cats:

Goats:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast