Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,038

0 members and 3,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered User William Snakespeare's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Leopard gecko or hognose snake

Awesome, would these products be good for the geckos?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Oh and I have a spare cage.
    My spare cage is
    90cm long
    35cm wide
    40cm high
    How may leos can I fit into this cage.
    I seriously don't want too many maybe like 1 or 2 to start with as I am new to geckos

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because they are in captivity you want the one that has vitamin D3 https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calci...alcium+with+d3

You also have to make sure that the insect you will feed are gutloaded prior to feeding. Mealworms are usually best as you can just have a dish in at all time, they are also easy to breed and odorless compare to crickets and you do not have to worry about having to remove what is not eaten immediately like you do with crickets.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Snakespeare View Post
    Oh and I have a spare cage.
    My spare cage is
    90cm long
    35cm wide
    40cm high
    How may leos can I fit into this cage.
    I seriously don't want too many maybe like 1 or 2 to start with as I am new to geckos

Keep in mind that you cannot keep 2 males together and cannot keep a male and female together unless they are adult of proper breeding weight and size, otherwise they will breed and you female is highly likely to be egg bond.

Do your research there are tons of great care sheet out there start here https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...is-macularius)

You want at least 40 cm x 58 cm for 2 (obviously height is irrelevant) so with your size a trio would work again if you follow the above and if you do 1.2 remember that you will have to give the females a break and separate them from the male.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-16-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Keep in mind that you cannot keep 2 males together and cannot keep a male and female together unless they are adult of proper breeding weight and size, otherwise they will breed and you female is highly likely to be egg bond.

Do your research there are tons of great care sheet out there start here https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...is-macularius)

You want at least 40 cm x 58 cm for 2 (obviously height is irrelevant) so with your size a trio would work again if you follow the above and if you do 1.2 remember that you will have to give the females a break and separate them from the male.
    Yes, I plan to get 2 females. One juvie and an adult, is it alright or is there a size difference?

So I should get them all seperate hides right? They both come from the same owner. With feeding, should I feed seperately?

Thanks

Because they are in captivity you want the one that has vitamin D3 https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calci...alcium+with+d3

You also have to make sure that the insect you will feed are gutloaded prior to feeding. Mealworms are usually best as you can just have a dish in at all time, they are also easy to breed and odorless compare to crickets and you do not have to worry about having to remove what is not eaten immediately like you do with crickets.
    What about Dubia roaches and super worms? I heard that crickets arent the best because they lack in protein.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, I plan to get 2 females. One juvie and an adult, is it alright or is there a size difference?

So I should get them all seperate hides right? They both come from the same owner. With feeding, should I feed seperately?

It will depends on the size difference simply because like most animals if the size difference is to big one animal will bully the other and can cause injuries, so you want a small size difference and if there is no difference at all it's even better. I am old school and with it comes to communal housing of geckos, I prefer to do it when both animal have reached their adult size.

You want to have food available for them rather than hand feed or removing them from their enclosure to feed and let them eat on their term, if you move the they might not eat.

What about Dubia roaches and super worms? I heard that crickets arent the best because they lack in protein.

Dubias are great also easy to breed and odorless and are pack in protein (a lot of people just hate the idea of them), so if you can do that setting up a colony is very easy and one female will produce 30 dubias each months and for months to come. Superworms should be avoided you can offer as a treat however they are a lot harder to digest and this is the food that bites back.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

It will depends on the size difference simply because like most animals if the size difference is to big one animal will bully the other and can cause injuries, so you want a small size difference and if there is no difference at all it's even better. I am old school and with it comes to communal housing of geckos, I prefer to do it when both animal have reached their adult size.

You want to have food available for them rather than hand feed or removing them from their enclosure to feed and let them eat on their term, if you move the they might not eat.

Dubias are great also easy to breed and odorless and are pack in protein (a lot of people just hate the idea of them), so if you can do that setting up a colony is very easy and one female will produce 30 dubias each months and for months to come. Superworms should be avoided you can offer as a treat however they are a lot harder to digest and this is the food that bites back.
    Ok thanks for the tip about superworms. So all I would be feeding would be dubia roaches and maybe an occasional waxworm?

I will be setting up a dubia roach colony to keep a steady supply of food for my geckos.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Wax worms are good as a treat not as a staple diet since they have a high fat content.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Yip, do leos require UVB or any light in their cage?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast