Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Breeding morphs question.

So about 9 years ago I got out of the hobby due to life, housing, and job changes. Now I’m getting back into the ball python game. Wife says no more retics and burms ( hopefully when the kids are older). So here I am with a bumblebee and cool normal that I bought as a 0.1.1 pair. I am going to get a new set of probes soon so hope to fix the sexes. My end goal is 2 fold. I want to produce a BEL and a decent pied for my personal collection (was on my way to pied before life) and I want to produce decent enough clutches that will pay for rodent and housing costs. My next purchase will be a multi gene female dbl het and then a multi gene male dbl het in a year or so. Giving me hopefully 1.3 to start and then ultimately a 2.8 total collection down the road. So what do I need to achieve my goals effectively and is this a feasible plan? Thanks in advance. Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    BEL are so cheap, I'd honestly just buy one, 300 or so can get you a super lesser easily. Pied stuff depends on what look you are going for. I'm partial to hypo stuff and if you want to see more color you can mix in enchi so there's less white. A few morphs increase the white like spider pieds only have head color and some are pure white. So depends what look you are going for.

Thanks

Re: Breeding morphs question.

I think your plan sounds reasonable, but it's tough to breed and sell enough hatchlings to support your collection. It takes a lot of time and upfront expense, especially if you raise your breeders from hatchlings like I do.

Aside from rodent costs (which increase sharply once your eggs hatch) you'll also need to buy/build an incubator, and have enough available enclosures for the hatchlings, which means buying more thermostats. Vet costs are always a possibility too. Breeding females may become egg-bound, prolapse, etc.

Luck is definitely a huge factor as well. For instance, last year I had a Ivory x Yellowbelly clutch where the offspring had a 50/50 chance of being either Ivory or Yellowbelly. Ivories of course are priced considerably higher than Yellowbellies. 5 of 6 hatchlings were Ivory. But they could have just as easily all been Yellowbelly instead, the odds being equal.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. I'm just trying to give you a realistic perspective. I've been breeding as a hobby for 4 years now. It's a slow process, and I've put a lot more money into it than I expected when I started out. But I enjoy it, and have no regrets! If you're interested in breeding, then by all means start some projects of your own. Just be aware of the costs and risks, be patient, and don't get in over your head!

Anyway, BELs are easy enough to produce. When you're looking for your double hets (double het for what besides pied?), see if you can find combos that include butter/lesser/mojave so you could make BELs along with your recessives.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-16-2017)

Thanks

As far as recessives go I’m not quite sure what I’d do other than pied. Was leaning towards lavender albinos but haven’t seen any that get as “purple” as retics. There’s so many cool morphs that didn’t exist 10 years ago and most of the ones I cue in on are dom/co-doms. Champagnes look awesome. I wish I could get them all but my day job and wife kinda limit that. I like to gamble but not gonna lose my house over a hobby so not looking to drop thousands on it.

Thanks

Have you considered Candy? It's a recessive similar to albino but with less white, more orange, and purple/grey markings. Candy Pieds look pretty amazing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greco For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinglink View Post
    As far as recessives go I’m not quite sure what I’d do other than pied. Was leaning towards lavender albinos but haven’t seen any that get as “purple” as retics. There’s so many cool morphs that didn’t exist 10 years ago and most of the ones I cue in on are dom/co-doms. Champagnes look awesome. I wish I could get them all but my day job and wife kinda limit that. I like to gamble but not gonna lose my house over a hobby so not looking to drop thousands on it.

If you like the purple/lavender stuff go with a toffino. Het albino and toffee. I'll post a pic of mine here for you
    Second picture is both my boy and girl. She's pastel toffino and alot lighter than he is. And they aren't super expensive. You can get a male for under $350
    Last edited by StillBP; 12-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StillBP For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (01-07-2018)

Thanks

Ok so now toffino’s just moved to top 5.
    So I think top 5 in no particular order and subject to change are:
    1- Super lesser
    2- HGW Enchi
    3- Toffino
    4- Champagne
    5- Super pastel Enchi Mojave +

Those are base and may have other genes mixed in. Close runner ups include banana, butter, and ivory. For now I am probably 2 years out from being ready to even think about breeding. Keep the ideas coming though. I appreciate all the input. I am loving all the co dom stuff due to my instant gratification complex I always seem to have.