Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,549

7 members and 3,542 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woma Question

Thanks

Re: Woma Question

Can I play?
    Frigg from Grant and Mary at Wreck Room
    And Odinforce who was a gift from a dearly departed friend the one and only Ben Renick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BMorrison For This Useful Post:

enginee837 (12-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BMorrison View Post

Can I play?
    Frigg from Grant and Mary at Wreck Room
    And Odinforce who was a gift from a dearly departed friend the one and only Ben Renick.

Love the swirls on the bottom photo where it's curled up !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

BMorrison (12-17-2017)

Thanks

Still working on photo upload

so today I was going to handle my baby woma for the first time and it was an epic failure. So I attempted to pull her out with snake hook while she was resting but had to move her hide and a few other things to get to her, when I attempted to get her she freaked and then was all over her enclosure. After a few minutes Of attempted hooking i gave up since I did not want to stress her out more than she was. I tired again later and she was on the defensive and would not let me get near her.

so perhaps I went about this all wrong. Needless to say when I got my ball python he was nearly a year old and was stationary when i reached in to pick him up for the first time, he was a bit nippy but he didn't dash like my woma. She is so slinger and super fast holy smokes.

how do you recommend approaching and pulling out a baby woma? I feel confident with my ball python but maybe more is needed for this little girl.

On a positive note she is pretty calm when I'm checking her out and today when I needed to spot clean and fill up her water dish she just kind of hangs out and watches me. my biggest challenge is this first pick up and handling session.

Thanks all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jones4467 View Post
    Still working on photo upload

so today I was going to handle my baby woma for the first time and it was an epic failure. So I attempted to pull her out with snake hook while she was resting but had to move her hide and a few other things to get to her, when I attempted to get her she freaked and then was all over her enclosure. After a few minutes Of attempted hooking i gave up since I did not want to stress her out more than she was. I tired again later and she was on the defensive and would not let me get near her.

so perhaps I went about this all wrong. Needless to say when I got my ball python he was nearly a year old and was stationary when i reached in to pick him up for the first time, he was a bit nippy but he didn't dash like my woma. She is so slinger and super fast holy smokes.

how do you recommend approaching and pulling out a baby woma? I feel confident with my ball python but maybe more is needed for this little girl.

On a positive note she is pretty calm when I'm checking her out and today when I needed to spot clean and fill up her water dish she just kind of hangs out and watches me. my biggest challenge is this first pick up and handling session.

Thanks all
    Best tip I give is hook train them. Let them smell the hook for a minute and in one smooth motion I pick the head and neck area up a little bit and slide my hand under them. After that they’re pretty easy to handle. Don’t make too fast of movements when they’re little and make sure you support their bodies good. Watch the head area they do go through a nippy phase typically and they don’t defensive bite like a ball. They’re almost always feed responses and they take awhile to let go.

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks
    Use the hook to distract the head while you grab the body. Then use the hook to keep the head/mouth off of you until the relax a bit.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

Roger that, thanks. I knew it would probably be a different process than my ball ( he is so chill) but she gave me a run this morning. Just a lot of newness but eager to give it ago again. When she is out and about will give it another attempt and see how she responds to the hook being near her then will do what you recommended. I was thinking today that I should of had the hook more towards her head and neck than towed the rear to keep her occupied to better get her from behind. She is a feisty girl but very eager to get her out. Thanks for the tip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12