Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,714

1 members and 2,713 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woma Question

Thanks

Woma Question

Hello all,

i am new to the site and a new woma python owner. I just purchased a 3 month old (approx) last week and am very curious about what humidity level I need to maintain? I have read many different things over the past week with ranges from 40 to 60% or no specific humidity requirements needed. Currently I am running around a 35 to 40% humidity on the cool side of my tank with 20% under the lamp. I have been stuck at around 30% but today was able to boost it some by adding an additional small water dish to the medium size that's already in place. I know this is an arid to semi arid species but want to be sure I have enough humidity to promote a good shed and comfort.

She seems to be settling in pretty well, day one she was ready to take me out but is calming down nicely. She ate for me two nights ago like a champ, fed her two small f/t rat pinks. I have a 40 gallon tank, big I know but she seems to be doing fine. I have several hides along with rocks and branches that she enjoys. My temps are running at 90-94 hot spot with 78-80 ambient.

however tonight she did something strange or atleast I have never seen it. She slithered normal but then started to slither on her side, don't know what that is about?? It almost reminded me of s sidewinder motion but she was literally on her side for a few seconds before rolling back on her belly. I do have her on exo terra natural sand so I don't know if that has anything to do with it? Breeder said sand was fine and I've seen many other people keep their woma's on sand and others who do not recommend it. I figured I would give it ago since this is their natural habitat aka sand python. Have any of you seen a snake do this? What are your thoughts on sand? Do any of you use sand? If I need to change the substrate I have no problem doing so. She does like to borrow in it.

I am still getting use to this site navigation so I am definitely sorry if there are already post on this subject. Most people in my area are unfamiliar with woma's. I love this little snake and she is a great addition ( have a year old ivory ball python) I just want to make sure my husbandry is on point with her.

Thank you for your input and guidance

Thanks
    Womas do well in lower humidity. I keep mine in the 40-50's and get perfect sheds every time. As for the odd behavior, it is normal. Womas like to burrow in the wild and what you are seeing is associated with that. Nothing to worry about.
    As for substrate, I use shredded aspen. Sand is fine too.
    Two things to be aware of that are unique to your woma. They get scale rot easily if conditions are too wet. Better to be a little too dry than too wet. Also, womas are prone to obesity. In the wild they have to eat very frequently due tok their low fat reptile diet. As such they have a ridiculous appetite. Feedijng rodents that are high in fat can cause issues if you feed too much. The rule of thumb is smaller meals (food 1 1/2 times the thickest part of their body) every 5 days. You should see a small bump after eating.
    When it hits adolescents (6 months to 2 years) you will want a hook for getting it out of the enclosure as they taste first and ask questions later. Good news is that is a phase they usually grow out of and once out of the enclosure they are very chill and easy to handle.
    Last edited by enginee837; 12-15-2017 at 03:59 AM.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Woma Question

As mentioned above their staple diets include lizards and other snakes so if you handle a snake make certain you've washed your hands before putting them near your Woma ( washing after handling is good practice anyways, of course )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Seconding the warning about over-feeding. My boy is currently on a diet because he was getting chubbly. They should be a rounded triangle in cross-section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Congratulations on your new little friend! I just got a pair of Womas a few months ago and I love them to death! They just melt my heart... lol But, yeah... If they are overfed they can develop fatty liver disease and die, because rodents have much higher levels of fat/protein than lizards, fish and other reptiles they eat in the wild. So, I definitely wouldn't be feeding more than one appropriate size prey item per week and just keep a close eye on her body shape and cut her back to every 10 - 14 days if she starts showing any signs of getting overweight. I've never noticed either of mine doing the "side slithering" thing you described, but I was glad to hear that it's normal.

As far as humidity, my Womas have the same humidity as all of my snakes pretty much. My Bloods and Short Tails just have larger water dishes for a little extra humidity is all. For the most part I maintain a base 50% - 60% humidity in my snake room and these guys seem to be doing great and having regular, perfect sheds. Both of mine are growing sooo fast! I swear they are bigger every time I take them out! From what I understand, Womas seem to adapt to all kinds of different humidity and temperature ranges and do fine. I would still strive for the 50% range, though just to be safe...

Thanks

Thank you for the tips and advice! I am greatly appreciative. I will definitley cut it down to just one rat pink a week instead of the two and will work to bump up the humidity a bit more to play it safe. Tomorrow I will be taking her out for the first time so I'm excited about that. She is calming down nicely and is more inquisitive of me now rather than wanting to take me out ha but we'll see how tomorrow goes.

I have a pretty good size water dish along with a second smaller one nestled under a climbing branch. Was trying to avoid having to mist to prevent making it too damp for her but may need to try a few other things.

i am enjoying that she is always out and about. I love my ball python and he is perfect all the way around but woma's are just so cool to watch. I really dig the stripe markings

thanks again for the support and guidance. Feel so much better knowing that there are people out there that I can turn to for advice, not too many reptile or snake owners for that matter in my area.

Thanks
    Ok, now that we have helped you, on to more important things. Where are the pictures?
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

Check this page out - Aussie based site

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Art...Fs/woma_lr.pdf

Thanks

once I can figure out how to upload a pic I will defintely do so

Thanks

Woma Question

Just get the free forum app TapaTalk as it has a free photo upload option

Last edited by Zincubus; 12-16-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast