Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,383

0 members and 1,383 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Custom lid for aquarium enclosure

Out of pure convienence and looks we r going to buy the large wide Exo Terra for our bp after Christmas. I kno humidity and heat can be a disaster in a large aquarium. Butttttt I have a plan, I知 going to build a custom lid out of lexan with hinges a drop cage for some heating lights locks and some holes for a mister system. I was just curious if anyone else has ever done anything like that. It seems like I could do all that quite cost effectively as well. Would love some ideas and tips if anyone has any

Thanks

Re: Custom lid for aquarium enclosure

Why not just get a PVC with an RHP and save yourself the trouble?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Why not just get a PVC with an RHP and save yourself the trouble?
    You kno I知 not 100% sure why I don稚 I liked the ap cages but am not interested in a huge wait time. I like the boamasters econo cage but have heard countless horrible things about their customer service . Maybe I知 just making excuses because I知 a little intimidated by a pvc and rhp and all these new gadgets that go with that type of enclosure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    You kno I知 not 100% sure why I don稚 I liked the ap cages but am not interested in a huge wait time. I like the boamasters econo cage but have heard countless horrible things about their customer service . Maybe I知 just making excuses because I知 a little intimidated by a pvc and rhp and all these new gadgets that go with that type of enclosure
    You could get some sheets of plexiglass cut at a hardware store to fit unto the lid. That'll help with humidity. How are you planning to heat it? I'm going to try a radiant heat panel for mine.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Out of pure convienence and looks we r going to buy the large wide Exo Terra for our bp after Christmas. I kno humidity and heat can be a disaster in a large aquarium. Butttttt I have a plan, I知 going to build a custom lid out of lexan with hinges a drop cage for some heating lights locks and some holes for a mister system. I was just curious if anyone else has ever done anything like that. It seems like I could do all that quite cost effectively as well. Would love some ideas and tips if anyone has any
    I have more or less done this, but not with ball pythons. I have geckos and frogs in exo-terras with custom, plastic lids. The exo-terra lids are kind of garbage in my opinion. The only additional issue with a ball python may be that you'll nee additional lid security as a ball python is much stronger animal. However, the locks that come on the cage are pretty good if you size the lid right.

What I did was get a 3/8" piece of polyethylene (black plastic) and have it cut to size with notches for the cable holes in the back and the two raised areas in the front. 3/8" is about the thickness you want for the cages existing clips to be useful. I then cut a ~ 7" x 22" hole for the addition of stainless mesh (this assumes a 24" x 18" x 24" exo-terra) and siliconed it in place. You will likely have to screw yours down or bolt it into place given a ball pythons strength. I then attached a RHP (10" x 11") in the back with a thermostat probe dangling next to it.

This setup allowed for the use of an LED light and heating element, your needs may vary. I will note that I think plastic enclosures such as AP or constrictors NW are superior setups for pretty much any snake species. The exo-terras are really just nice for cages where you want a very aesthetic, planted enclosure. They strike me as ideal for dart frogs and arboreal geckos.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You do know those exo terras are more expensive than a PVC cage right? I would just go the right direction and get a pvc enclosure. Unless you live in a very specific part of the country, glass enclosures are always a pain to keep dialed in, especially in winter.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    You do know those exo terras are more expensive than a PVC cage right? I would just go the right direction and get a pvc enclosure. Unless you live in a very specific part of the country, glass enclosures are always a pain to keep dialed in, especially in winter.
    Yea like living in central Florida 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Yea like living in central Florida 🤣🤣

Lol didn稚 we just have a quick convo about this. Your chilling in Florida while I知 shoveling snow in pa. Anyways yes I have just came to the conclusion the best thing is to just get a t8 from ap. I値l get the flex watt and a rhp ordered. All the fancy lights I can do myself. Thanks for all the input though

Thanks

Lol didn稚 we just have a quick convo about this. Your chilling in Florida while I知 shoveling snow in pa. Anyways yes I have just came to the conclusion the best thing is to just get a t8 from ap. I値l get the flex watt and a rhp ordered. All the fancy lights I can do myself. Thanks for all the input though
    Lol yea yea yea, gross snow