Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,939

2 members and 2,937 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Themed Set-Ups?

Thanks

Themed Set-Ups?

Hey guys,

I'm doing some research and putting some ideas together for a supply list (for when I eventually get my ). On one of the sites, I came across these "pipe" hides that looked very urban or possibly steampunk, and it made me wonder if anyone has actually themed their terrariums. I saw on a vlog, this one BP owner put some random Halloween decor in and around her tank during Halloween, but I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent set-up with the hides, water bowl, etc. all matching that theme.

I'm not going to link the pipes because they looked iffy to me and I don't intend to buy them. This is more so I have some idea of what all I could look at.

Thanks in advance,
    mors

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    I'm sure a tons of people have! Mine is Legend of Zelda themed that I'm working on expanding later. Currently I have a basking ledge and hides I've made for it. It's not steam punk but maybe this might give you some ideas of what you could do if you wanted to try a diy approach!

Themed hides

Themed basking ledge

Just disregard the temp readings bc they were all funky from a full cage clean lol
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-13-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

CelticVikingNerd (07-06-2018),Godzilla78 (12-14-2017),hilabeans (12-17-2017),MD_Pythons (12-14-2017),mors_dilecti (12-14-2017),savora (12-14-2017),silverdreams (12-18-2017),Starscream (12-14-2017),tttaylorrr (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Re: Themed Set-Ups?

That looks amazing! Did you buy your Zelda supplies or did you make them yourself?

Edit: punctuation
    Last edited by mors_dilecti; 12-14-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mors_dilecti View Post
    That looks amazing! Did you buy your Zelda supplies or did you make them yourself?

Edit: punctuation
    Thanks! I made them. Hides are out of apoxie sculpt and the ledge was foam and grout. It's a lot of fun if you want to try that approach! However it wouldn't surprise me if some people offered custom or themed decor on stores like Etsy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

mors_dilecti (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Oh, that's so cool! I'm not super artsy, so I'll probably check out Etsy.

You don't happen to know if any certain crafting materials can hurt a snake right off the top of your head, do you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mors_dilecti View Post
    Oh, that's so cool! I'm not super artsy, so I'll probably check out Etsy.

You don't happen to know if any certain crafting materials can hurt a snake right off the top of your head, do you?
    From the top of my head I'd say stay away from pine and cedar woods or anything scented. You'd generally want to avoid anything that's porous unless you are able to seal it. Nothing adhesive like tape because they are prone to peeling and getting stuck on reptiles with potentially fatal injuries.

That's all I can think of right now and I know I'm forgetting a bunch of others (ah sorry!), but looking for materials that are mold, heat and water resistant (and waterproof if you can) would be ideal, providing they are low voc/non-toxic of course. Definitely research prior!
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-14-2017 at 12:50 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

mors_dilecti (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Thank you so much! I definitely will look into the different materials and issues. I hope my terrarium looks as awesome as yours.

Thanks
    Can't wait to see what you come up with! Something else you can consider is pvc piping (like the ones you find at hardware stores like Home Depot)! It's often used to make jungle gyms for reptiles and is totally safe. Lots of forum members has used it as perches too! Mr.Sully has made some really cute ones (which I can't find his pics darn! Mr.Sully will you share with us?)

Alternatively LLLReptiles and Snakemuseum has a pretty good selection of hides and decor with some themed items. Just make sure whatever decor you get that there isn't anything your snake can get stuck in, such as loops or too small holes.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-14-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I'm sure a tons of people have! Mine is Legend of Zelda themed that I'm working on expanding later. Currently I have a basking ledge and hides I've made for it. It's not steam punk but maybe this might give you some ideas of what you could do if you wanted to try a diy approach!

Themed hides

Themed basking ledge

Just disregard the temp readings bc they were all funky from a full cage clean lol
    Those are BEAUTIFUL! Do you do sculpturing often? This is fantastic, and is exactly what I want to do with my tank in the future. Have you considered setting up an etsy shop for these? Because I admittedly might be a repeat customer if so...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savora For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-14-2017),tttaylorrr (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by savora View Post
    Those are BEAUTIFUL! Do you do sculpturing often? This is fantastic, and is exactly what I want to do with my tank in the future. Have you considered setting up an etsy shop for these? Because I admittedly might be a repeat customer if so...
    Thank you for the kind words! I've sculpted here and there but I'm definitely hoping on making it a more practiced hobby! I've considered Etsy a few times! Just need to figure out how to be more efficient with materials first( and how to safely ship these haha) :p never ran a store before but it sounds fun!
    Last edited by MissterDog; 12-14-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast