Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,318

2 members and 3,316 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

orange ghost or pinstripe.

Went to grab feeders yesterday and the herper at my petstore showed me his two new arrivals. Both juvenile males. Both look great, both are on weekly pups.

I'm torn, i've got room for one more beep right now since Monty finished qt.

question now becomes do I get the visual Orange Ghost or the pinstripe? currently homing a male pastel, a male spider and a female lesser.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Are they both males?

I'd go with the OG personally, but I'm into hypos. You may want to hold out for a 2-gene animal though and get an OG pinstripe. ghosts with one co-dominant gene aren't all that expensive right now. I paid ~$350 for my ghost calico female (including shipping).

I think OG looks better with everythng. I like pinstripe too, but if you are getting a male, then the recessive visual OG would be more valuable in the long run.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: orange ghost or pinstripe.

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Are they both males?

I'd go with the OG personally, but I'm into hypos. You may want to hold out for a 2-gene animal though and get an OG pinstripe. ghosts with one co-dominant gene aren't all that expensive right now. I paid ~$350 for my ghost calico female (including shipping).

I think OG looks better with everythng. I like pinstripe too, but if you are getting a male, then the recessive visual OG would be more valuable in the long run.
    yup both males. I buy from this store because it's the only one with a herper on staff (he's actually a co-owner.) After the convo today he's going to get me a female with my morph of choice when he frees up a beep enclosure. By the time it passes his qt protocol I'll have my racks and will have the new male out of qt.

question remains do I want to stick with codoms or do i want to start getting into reccesives lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I would get the orange ghost if I was breeding, but I would get the pinstripe if I just wanted a cool-looking snake pet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I would get the orange ghost if I was breeding, but I would get the pinstripe if I just wanted a cool-looking snake pet.
    yeah I'm thinking I'll get the orange ghost and have him get me a codom female that's het for orange ghost for the next purchase.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you plan on breeding I would say neither you are already male heavy and a females are what you need (remember always pick up the females first give them 12 to 18 months before worrying about a male for them since female take a lot longer to be ready, it also allow you at that time to get more genes for the same amount of money.\

If you are getting them as pet it boils down to what you like best.
    Deborah Stewart

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Hypo Lessers look great BUT you are already male heavy as already said.
    I would add females first unless its a killer deal on the OG but the males are already dirt cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Keep in mind that one male can pair with up to five females, during the breeding cycle you can move the male to a new female five days a week and give him weekends off for feedings. I actually started with one male per one female until I figured this out LOL. Now I buy cheaper females and grow them up first, then get a higher end male to pair with them. I've found that I can get new genes in my males cheaper than getting them in females, especially higher end pied combos. Not sure it makes much of a difference with a pinstripe co-dom though.

Of course if you want to stay on a smaller scale you could just breed the one female to a different male each year and hold back the two gene hatchlings to grow out and eventually shoot for the pastel pinstripe spider lesser! (Queen Spin) You could also get Super Lessers eventually (blue eyed lucy).

Queen Spin:
    Last edited by cchardwick; 12-14-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Keep in mind that one male can pair with up to five females, during the breeding cycle you can move the male to a new female five days a week and give him weekends off for feedings. I actually started with one male per one female until I figured this out LOL. Now I buy cheaper females and grow them up first, then get a higher end male to pair with them. I've found that I can get new genes in my males cheaper than getting them in females, especially higher end pied combos. Not sure it makes much of a difference with a pinstripe co-dom though.

Of course if you want to stay on a smaller scale you could just breed the one female to a different male each year and hold back the two gene hatchlings to grow out and eventually shoot for the pastel pinstripe spider lesser! (Queen Spin) You could also get Super Lessers eventually (blue eyed lucy).

Queen Spin:
    That queen spin is breath taking. Plan on staying small scale for at least the next 5 years. My end goal with my current single genes is a queen bee.

I know I have a weakness and want to buy every bp I see lol. Can't wait to get my racks in the new year. Although it still leaves me in the position of only buying one every three months. Qt protocol and all.