Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

3 members and 2,716 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Caging options for Corns and Hondurans

Hi, I have two young hondurans and one young corn snake. I am looking for caging options for these. I currently have them in a rack but would like to move them to cages. Preferably a cage that would work now and for the rest of their lives.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to brand of cage and size I should get.

The reason I want to move them to cages is that with rack systems the room ambients play a major role and it is hard to keep the temps up in my whole house. I don't have a designated snake room.

I plan to mount an RHP in each cage. I looked at the AP T1 and a 28 watt RHP but assumed they would outgrow that small of a cage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. All Three of these snakes are all hatchlings still and quite small currently.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Caging options for Corns and Hondurans

T-8 or T-10 or the 4 foot PVC cages from BoaMaster(Be aware that they have a horrible record with comunication)
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks

My concern is that the T8 or T10 would be way too big right now for them. They are tiny little worms. Although I could split a T8 and house them in half with a 40 W RHP. I would have to buy two T8.

Another idea is to move my boa out of his T8 and buy him a T10. I have a divider already for the T8 so that would cover the two Hondos. Now I have to figure out what to do with the corn.
    L. West

Thanks

Can you put two dividers into a T8 to make 3 compartments??
    L. West

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Can you put two dividers into a T8 to make 3 compartments??
    No, just realized that would not work. It would make three very small compartments not big enough to accommodate an RHP in each unit.
    L. West

BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen people put tubs inside the enclosures although you said you want them out of the tub/racks. It would just be until they were a little bigger though.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    Hi, I have two young hondurans and one young corn snake. I am looking for caging options for these. I currently have them in a rack but would like to move them to cages. Preferably a cage that would work now and for the rest of their lives.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to brand of cage and size I should get.

The reason I want to move them to cages is that with rack systems the room ambients play a major role and it is hard to keep the temps up in my whole house. I don't have a designated snake room.

I plan to mount an RHP in each cage. I looked at the AP T1 and a 28 watt RHP but assumed they would outgrow that small of a cage.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. All Three of these snakes are all hatchlings still and quite small currently.
    I applaud your efforts, certainly as adults, most colubrids seem to appreciate extra space. That said, doing the larger cages with such tiny noodles can be annoying. However, you have a couple options:

The first option is simply to buy 3 larger tubs and mount whatever RHPs you would put in the future cages inside the tubs. Assuming you are looking at a 3-4' cage, you are likely looking at around a ~70-80 watt panel, which is probably around 12" x 18" or so. They make ~33" tubs that are taller (~14") you could mount one in pretty easily. People do it for green tree pythons fairly often when they are small.

If you want to just bite the bullet and get cages, you can do so, but you'll have to do a couple things. When I buy cages for lizards, I buy them with a swing door and stainless mesh vents. The reason for this is that I don't want insects to get out and run all over my house. If you buy an "insect-proof" cage, you should be able to noodle-proof one. As an example, you can buy AP cages with mesh vents in the back instead of CNC routed ones. I haven't looked in awhile, but I think they are normally 3/8" wide, which may or may not be fine for a smaller colubrid. The other problem area is the doors. Sliding glass doors without modification will likely allow for the escape of the little snake. Some people have however successfully modified them to be insect/fruit fly proof using a bead of silicon on the outer door in the right location. I know protean terrariums makes sliding glass enclosures for dart frogs so you might consult them for advice. Alternatively, you could use a swing glass/acrylic door that seals flush against the cage. While acrylic is probably cheaper and won't break as easily, I have to say glass is the better material for doors.

All that said, the species you mention won't be too upset by lower temperature ambient if you have a warm spot for them to go to, provided your ambient are not unreasonably low. General house temperatures with a warm spot of 85 -90 should be fine for them.

Best of luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

L.West (12-14-2017)

Thanks

Yes, I currently have them in a rack in a room that typically is at 70-72 degrees but recently I've been running higher temps in the house at more like 74-75 just for their benefit.

They have a hot side of 88-90 and cool end about 74 degrees right now.

I just wasn't sure if by lowering the house temp back to 72-73 if that would adversely effect them.

My rack is brand new and it sucks to have to buy all new setups again but I will do what i need to do to take proper care of my snakes.

Worse case scenario, I can leave my house thermostat set to 74-75 and pay the higher heat bills all winter. I guess its just a numbers game at this point.

I like the way my AP cages keep temps right where I want them - I currently have 3 T8's and love them.
    L. West

Thanks

Since you’re not happy with temps in the tubs alone, I’d start with setting the tubs in one T8s until the babies get a little size, at which point you can expand to them each having a half of a T8. They wouldn’t be in the tubs in the T8 for very long with the speed babies grow. You can put identical smaller RHPs on each side of the T8 and run both through one thermostat output, so you’ll have heat for the enclosure in both with and without divider conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (12-15-2017)

Thanks

I thought of that option but wasn't convinced that I could achieve the designated hot spots for three tubs in a T8 unless I buy 3 28watt RHPs and hang all three in the one T8 spaced about accordingly. Now that may work.

But, buy the time i buy another T8, 3 RHPS and 2 addtional thermostats - I would probably be spending more money than if I just pay the higher heat bills LOL

Oh the problems our snakes can cause LOL
    L. West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast