Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,870

1 members and 2,869 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Question ESA People for Animals??

hey check this out: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...her/ar-BBGG5PR

so u know how some peeps have ESA's? like Florida man w/ the squirrel.

do u think people can serve the same purpose for some animals? the Harrison family rehabbed some bb squirrels and one in particular still visits them regularly 8 years later! what do u think? is it visiting the fam for emotional support after some trauma many years ago? or is it simply looking for treats?

anyway i think this is a cute story:

A squirrel who nearly died when she was attacked by an owl eight years ago continues to visit the South Carolina family that took her in, raised and released her.

Brantley Harrison and her family help rehabilitate rescued animals, but the squirrel they took in when she was four weeks old has formed a unique bond with them, unlike any of their other rescues.The baby squirrel was attacked by an owl in October 2009 and left very badly injured. There was no way she could have survived in the wild with her injuries. A wildlife rescue group found her, took her in and then placed her with Harrison and her family.

The squirrel they named Bella wasn’t old enough to be released back into the wild before winter's arrival, so she stayed with Harrison and her family until spring. They raised her along with three other squirrels, Larry, Moe and Curly.

The four little squirrels were fed formula, fruits, veggies and lots of nuts while they lived together in an outdoor release cage.

Harrison said while Bella was being rehabilitated, there didn’t appear to be anything particularly special about her. They did not treat her like a pet, and she acted just like every other squirrel they had cared for, so Harrison figured once she was released Bella back into the wild, that would be the last they’d see of her.

By April 2010, Bella and the three other squirrels were ready for release. Once they were let go, they scurried excitedly up and down trees, exploring their new surroundings. Within a week, all four squirrels were safely assimilated back into the wild.

But Bella wasn’t quite ready to say goodbye to the family that had raised her.

Harrison said Bella started coming back looking for treats within days of being released. She said the others came back for a few days, too, which is typical, but within a week or so, they stop coming by and avoid people. But not Bella.

“Bella sits right at the front door waiting for someone to notice she has come by for a visit,” Harrison said. “She has even resorted to jumping over to the dining room window to peer in for someone to see her.”
    Harrison said Bella doesn’t really like to be petted, but she happily sits on their laps and eats lots of nuts. Harrison's husband, John, often comes back in after heading out to work, just to grab a few walnuts for Bella who is waiting at the door.

“She comes almost daily for a little loving, treats, and to torment our dog, Cid, through the glass door,” Harrison said.

Bella is quite photogenic, and has plenty of fans on social media, with even more these days, after her story was featured by The Dodo.

“Just recently I have started putting hats on her for photos, and I can’t believe she lets me do it,” Harrison said.

Harrison says Bella has become like a member of the family, and a few years back, her human family got to meet her squirrel family for the first time.

Bella injured her foot a few years ago, so the family caught her again, gave her antibiotics and put her back in one of the rehab cages so she could heal. She was almost ready to be released back into the wild when one day, she gave birth to three tiny babies, so her human family cared for the little squirrel family until the babies were old enough to be released.

Harrison said it was amazing to watch a baby she raised raise babies of her own.

“She is a very special squirrel and has always had a large local following. She has changed the way many of my friends think of squirrels, especially the ones she has met. The kids just love to come over and feed her.”

Harrison believes besides being a delight to her family, Bella has a special purpose.

“If Bella can teach at least one person to have compassion for all living things, no matter how big or how small, then we have done what we have set out to.”
    more here: https://www.boredpanda.com/squirrel-...ntley-harrison

Bella the squirrel and the family dog also have an IG page. very neat!: https://www.instagram.com/cidandbella

here's Bella wearing a hat:

Last edited by Ax01; 12-13-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: to link Florida Man w/ the squirrel
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

SDA (12-13-2017)

Thanks
    Great story but I think the squirrel has been conditioned to get handouts instead of foraging.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I love the idea! I volunteer to be an ESA for any animal except cats because I do not like cats and fear I would be an emotional destroyer for cats. Oh and spiders, they don't need my support because they creep me out.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    this was kind of what my ex did for dogs: he was a dog trainer, but worked and volunteered with the worst, most violent cases in chicago. a lot of the dogs he worked with suffered from abuse, fear, anxieties, etc. in a sense, my ex developed an emotional support system for dog training; he focused a lot on the dog's mental health. he would rehabilitate these dogs to trust, follow, and love humans and owners. i was lucky enough to see his work and just how much he could help these poor, misunderstood dogs.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-13-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: ESA People for Animals??

Quote Originally Posted by Ba11er View Post
    Great story but I think the squirrel has been conditioned to get handouts instead of foraging.
    totes! i think if the family moved, the squirrel would still pop by the old house looking for handouts. it does live in the wild and is no completely dependent on the family but i also believe that the squirrel does have an emotional attachment to the family. they nursed it back to health as a baby and helped it birth it's own litter.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I love the idea! I volunteer to be an ESA for any animal except cats because I do not like cats and fear I would be an emotional destroyer for cats. Oh and spiders, they don't need my support because they creep me out.
    totally me too! i like cats and some spiders tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    this was kind of what my ex did for dogs: he was a dog trainer, but worked and volunteered with the worst, most violent cases in chicago. a lot of the dogs he worked with suffered from abuse, fear, anxieties, etc. in a sense, my ex developed an emotional support system for dog training; he focused a lot on the dog's mental health. he would rehabilitate these dogs to trust, follow, and love humans and owners. i was lucky enough to see his work and just how much he could help these poor, misunderstood dogs.
    that's such a nice thing. i've seen dogs cry at the slightest touch, tail tucked between their legs, peeing all over. an abused and trauma'ed animal is one of the worse things! go ESA People for Animals!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292