Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Is it shed or an infection?

Hi!I'm new to the forums so apologies if there's already a thread similar to this.I looked and couldn't find one.

It's a bit of a story,but a week before my BP and I moved across the state he was burrowing around his coconut husk substrate and gave himself a nasty splinter on his lip/kinda inner mouth area.I took it out,examined him the best I could and I figured it'd be alright (spoiler: I was wrong).So we did our move and he drank water as soon as we arrived and he ate two days after with no hesitation.A day or two after he ate,I noticed his tongue wasn't forking and when I opened his mouth sure enough there was some liquid in there.I flipped out and got an appointment that day and rushed him to the vet.The vet had told me he was in excellent health outside of a small infection he must've gotten from the splinter,as he said we were too soon (as well as it being too unlikely) into our move for that to have affected him.The vet also told me I caught it ridiculously early and gave him an injection,sending us on our way.It's been about seven days since the injection,he's gone to the bathroom and he's eaten without any hesitation.His friendly demeanor has also not changed once even slightly.

This entire time I've known he was gonna go into shed soon,I had noticed the other day he was a tiny bit dull,had a bit of pink on his belly and some shed coming off his nose.What concerns me is while I had him out of his tank to do some cleaning,sometimes when he'd move I'd hear a sound similar to knuckles cracking.Not a wet crack,and not near his lungs,more of an all over sound.I'm sure I've heard this sound awhile ago before since I felt scared about it in the past,but to say I'm paranoid after all this would be an understatement.After the noise I checked him out once more,no liquid in mouth,tongue normal but his eye was mildly dented inwards.Something that isn't too uncommon for him,so I upped his humidity and the sound so far the sound has not returned and his eye is back to normal.

Was his humidity just a little low?Was he maybe dehydrated some?Or should I take him back for a follow up?All responses and opinions appreciated

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    In my experience, and from what I've read, a dented eye is almost always hydration related.
    I would make sure your humidity is right and there is always access to plenty of clean water.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

spacecowboy (12-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: Is it shed or an infection?

Sounds like he was just shedding to me, what was the humidity in his enclosure when he was making the noise? What is it now?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

spacecowboy (12-13-2017)

Thanks

Re: Is it shed or an infection?

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Sounds like he was just shedding to me, what was the humidity in his enclosure when he was making the noise? What is it now?
    I believe it was about 48%,I bumped it up to 52% the first time around and then almost 60% a little later on so the rise in humidity didn't shock him or anything.