Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,749

1 members and 2,748 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball Python Shopping List (Please Review!)

Quote Originally Posted by highqualityballz View Post
    I've never been but i know that narbc is a pretty well known show. I'm pretty sure 99% of the vendors there are good to go, if not 100%. Worst comes to worst, check out the reputable vendors first to see if they have what your looking/interested in first before you check out any of the less known vendors. Regardless whoever you go with there, I don't think youll have have any problems. Just Don't be afraid to ask the breeders questions, especially if you don't know of them!
    Okay! Thank you very much!
    And I have a pretty long list of questions I have for whatever vendor I’m buying my snake from, so hopefully I’m good on that X3

Random question. What questions do you think are most important to ask a breeder? I have pretty much the basics but I would like to double check my list...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKillua View Post
    Okay! Thank you very much!
    And I have a pretty long list of questions I have for whatever vendor I’m buying my snake from, so hopefully I’m good on that X3

Random question. What questions do you think are most important to ask a breeder? I have pretty much the basics but I would like to double check my list...

Before buying your snake, you know how to check it for illnesses and mites right? It's always important as if not you could be bringing home a sick snake.

Check it's nose and mouth for discharge, check that it's not corkscrewing or stargazing, turn it on it's back in your hands and see if it can correct itself properly. If it as a head wobble and doesn't have the spider gene that is not a good sign. Check for scale rot or mouth rot, make sure it has a good weight and it's also good to see tongue flicking. Mites are the most common I'd say and pretty easy to check for. Gently wrap your hand around the snake and rub it all the way down, then look at your hand for little black dots or even dots of blood. You can also check between their scales for little black dots (mites). This might sound like a lot and you might feel embarrassed doing it in front of a breeder, but it's extremely important that you always check animals you're bringing home unless you're specifically looking to do a rescue for a sick snake. Remember, if a breeder won't let you hold a snake before you buy it, don't buy it as it's probably sick.

Reptile expos have a chance to spread IBD if someone brought an IBD infected snake, so after purchasing you snake don't let him touch anything or get to close to other reptiles, don't let other people touch him and don't touch him yourself without clean hands while at the expo.

Ask the breeder
    When is the last time they fed? What are they eating? How many times have they eaten?
    -They should be eating good or else they shouldn't be for sale.
    How old are they?
    Have they shed? When was the last time?
    Gender?
    Is this the first time they were sold? (ask this if you're getting an older one)
    Do you have papers?
    -A good breeder will give you papers or text you or email you or somehow give you information about your snake, like when it hatched, it's parents, important things like that. Not giving those things to you is fishy.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Blizzard; 12-13-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Protective snek mom

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Blizzard For This Useful Post:

CaptainKillua (12-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Before buying your snake, you know how to check it for illnesses and mites right? It's always important as if not you could be bringing home a sick snake.

Check it's nose and mouth for discharge, check that it's not corkscrewing or stargazing, turn it on it's back in your hands and see if it can correct itself properly. If it as a head wobble and doesn't have the spider gene that is not a good sign. Check for scale rot or mouth rot, make sure it has a good weight and it's also good to see tongue flicking. Mites are the most common I'd say and pretty easy to check for. Gently wrap your hand around the snake and rub it all the way down, then look at your hand for little black dots or even dots of blood. You can also check between their scales for little black dots (mites). This might sound like a lot and you might feel embarrassed doing it in front of a breeder, but it's extremely important that you always check animals you're bringing home unless you're specifically looking to do a rescue for a sick snake. Remember, if a breeder won't let you hold a snake before you buy it, don't buy it as it's probably sick.

Reptile expos have a chance to spread IBD if someone brought an IBD infected snake, so after purchasing you snake don't let him touch anything or get to close to other reptiles, don't let other people touch him and don't touch him yourself without clean hands while at the expo.

Ask the breeder
    When is the last time they fed? What are they eating? How many times have they eaten?
    -They should be eating good or else they shouldn't be for sale.
    How old are they?
    Have they shed? When was the last time?
    Gender?
    Is this the first time they were sold? (ask this if you're getting an older one)
    Do you have papers?
    -A good breeder will give you papers or text you or email you or somehow give you information about your snake, like when it hatched, it's parents, important things like that. Not giving those things to you is fishy.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you so so much! :0 I have everything written down on how to check for mites, dehydration, malnutrition, R.I, mouth rot, stuck shed, and scale rot, but I completely forgot about IBD! And I didn’t even think about asking for papers!
    Again, thank you so much! I’ll definitely be saving this post for later!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainKillua For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (12-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    If you do not want to get a snake that is feeding on live rodents and as such have to continue on live rodents, make sure to find out if the snake is feeding on frozen thawed. Now you may encounter what is called in the industry a "flipper" who is just there to resell snakes and there is always the chance someone will just tell you what you want to hear but there is no reason to settle on a snake that is not meeting your criteria just because you see something pretty. Take your time and find the right person.

Both my recent snakes have had not problems adjusting and feeding. My latest fed last night on frozen thawed like she was Homer Simpson eating donuts. My rosy boa is a bottomless pit of hunger and rage lol. Get the right breeder and you will have a wonderful time. Get the wrong person and snake and it can be an uphill battle.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Also, I have a question. Are the breeder’s at the NARBC normally pretty good? Because I went there in September and all of the vendor’s reptiles looked good in health... (But I have a long list I will be bringing with me to check for common external parasites, diseases, and infections before I buy... and just a long list of questions to ask the breeder)
    i've been going to the NARBC in Tinley Park, IL for the past few years and they have a lot of great vendors. if you're interested in making a purchase, just do some quick googling from the vendor list and you'll know who to look for but for the most part there's no one to particularly avoid.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-13-2017 at 03:21 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    If you do not want to get a snake that is feeding on live rodents and as such have to continue on live rodents, make sure to find out if the snake is feeding on frozen thawed. Now you may encounter what is called in the industry a "flipper" who is just there to resell snakes and there is always the chance someone will just tell you what you want to hear but there is no reason to settle on a snake that is not meeting your criteria just because you see something pretty. Take your time and find the right person.

Both my recent snakes have had not problems adjusting and feeding. My latest fed last night on frozen thawed like she was Homer Simpson eating donuts. My rosy boa is a bottomless pit of hunger and rage lol. Get the right breeder and you will have a wonderful time. Get the wrong person and snake and it can be an uphill battle.
    I have researched on how to convert a snake from live to frozen thawed, but I will be mainly looking for a snake that’s already on F/T. Thanks for the helpful tips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i've been going to the NARBC in Tinley Park, IL for the past few years and they have a lot of great vendors. if you're interested in making a purchase, just do some quick googling from the vendor list and you'll know who to look for but for the most part there's no one to particularly avoid.

Yeah, when I went all of the Reptiles there looked super healthy. But I will make sure to research the vendors before I go. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Yeah, when I went all of the Reptiles there looked super healthy. But I will make sure to research the vendors before I go. Thanks for the tip!
    i bought my little Piebald male from NARBC this past october.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awh, he’s adorable! I plan on getting a Pinstripe, Calico, or a Lesser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12